3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

oil change every two month??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 06:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

oil change every two month??

Hello fellow maximians, as you all might know i have 92 max gxe and i drive my max pretty tough. so every time i was changing my oil three month or 3000 miles and this time the car started making that ticking noise and went to my mechanic and he told me the oil is old and thick so that is what is makking the noise and he said i will have to change the oil. but i still have one more month to go before changing my oil so does it matter how you drive when you have to change the oil and does the hot weather might have anything to do with it (its summer) and if i drive tough will i ahve to change the oil every 2 instead of 3 month?? THanx and i might get some pic of my max today...
Old 06-28-2002, 06:25 AM

just change the oil for christs sake the mechanic said the oil is bad... so change it!

dont go buy months.. go by miles.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:01 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

3 months or 3,000 miles is a generic figure the oil companies came up with as a recommendation when to change your oil. 3 months for those who do alot of short trip driving where the engine oil temp hardly reaches proper operating temps and 3,000 miles for those who drive their cars alot. Basically these numbers will vary on driving style and conditions. With your driving style definately change every 3,000 instead of the 3 months.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by CandiMan
3 months or 3,000 miles is a generic figure the oil companies came up with as a recommendation when to change your oil. 3 months for those who do alot of short trip driving where the engine oil temp hardly reaches proper operating temps and 3,000 miles for those who drive their cars alot. Basically these numbers will vary on driving style and conditions. With your driving style definately change every 3,000 instead of the 3 months.
thanx for all your help but whats bothering me is that i haven't even reached 3000 miles yeat it's is still 2000miles and i know dummy u don't care about this.. but i am going to change the oil today but i am asking should i now change the oil evry 2 month or 2000 miles instead of 3 month or 3000 miles?? Thanx for all the reply and thanx for your help candyman....
Old 06-28-2002, 07:32 AM

The car should tick less in the summer because when the oil is warm it flows much better. Just change your oil right now and see if it fixes the problem, I know that my VG always ticks when I first start it in the mornings because the oil hasn't reached the lifters yet, so don't be to worried about it I think it's pretty normal. Have fun changing the oil and don't use a fram filter.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:50 AM

Re: oil change every two month??

Originally posted by Terry28
Hello fellow maximians, as you all might know i have 92 max gxe and i drive my max pretty tough. so every time i was changing my oil three month or 3000 miles and this time the car started making that ticking noise and went to my mechanic and he told me the oil is old and thick so that is what is makking the noise and he said i will have to change the oil. but i still have one more month to go before changing my oil so does it matter how you drive when you have to change the oil and does the hot weather might have anything to do with it (its summer) and if i drive tough will i ahve to change the oil every 2 instead of 3 month?? THanx and i might get some pic of my max today...
Another thing to look at is the oil quality in your engine; when you check your oil level, also look for the consistency of the oil, if it seems real gummy, then definately change it. When I first bought my max, I flushed the oil system. Some people don't think it helps but it gets rid of a lot of deposits that have assimilated over the years.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

This oil thread=
Old 06-28-2002, 09:00 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Jeff92se
This oil thread= :laugh
oil?
just use kerosene..run your engine cleannnnnnnnnnnn
Old 06-28-2002, 02:32 PM

Re: oil change every two month??

Are you using 10w30 or 5w30?
b/c there is a technical service bulliten that says we should only use 5w30. The only reason you should use 10w30 is if you live in a very warm climate.

Also, have you changed your pcv (positive crancase ventilation) valve yet? b/c this can lead to burning of the oil due to the hot cylinder blow by gasses.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:24 PM

well i did change the oil and there still is a problem and it happens when i start my car and the noise (tick ticc) stays on as long as the car is running (1,2 hours etc..) and the voice only stops wheni turn my car off.. i haven't changed the pcv, will that fix the problem?? thanx you everyone for all your reply and it does help me.. thank you so much and keep me up with the reply
ps: i'll show you my beauty max later..
Old 06-29-2002, 05:51 AM

well i did change the oil and there still is a problem and it happens when i start my car and the noise (tick ticc) stays on as long as the car is running (1,2 hours etc..) and the voice only stops wheni turn my car off.. i haven't changed the pcv, will that fix the problem?? thanx you everyone for all your reply and it does help me.. thank you so much and keep me up with the reply
ps: i'll show you my beauty max later..
the voice? i think that may be all you dude.
does it happen when you accelerate? or is it even when you stand still.
i think i have the same problem, it makes a tinky noise.....i had a "car doctor" who has his own forum and knows a lot about car and who was very helpful take a look at and he said something about my water pump, maybe that could be the noise? i'm not a mechanically inclined person... i'm gonna get another opinion though and see if thats what it may be.... if so gonna see if i can have it changed or fix (anybody know the cost on this?)
Old 06-29-2002, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by Freaknificent

the voice? i think that may be all you dude.
does it happen when you accelerate? or is it even when you stand still.
i think i have the same problem, it makes a tinky noise.....i had a "car doctor" who has his own forum and knows a lot about car and who was very helpful take a look at and he said something about my water pump, maybe that could be the noise? i'm not a mechanically inclined person... i'm gonna get another opinion though and see if thats what it may be.... if so gonna see if i can have it changed or fix (anybody know the cost on this?)
thanx freaknificent and i meant noise not voice i was sleppy when i typed that up, yeasterday i ahve just been going to every shop to fix that noise but no one could find the problem but i will ask them about the water pump and pcp. thanx evryone for your help...
Old 06-29-2002, 06:12 AM

thanx freaknificent and i meant noise not voice i was sleppy when i typed that up, yeasterday i ahve just been going to every shop to fix that noise but no one could find the problem but i will ask them about the water pump and pcp. thanx evryone for your help...
do me a fave and ask the cost on replacing or fixing it please i'd go myself but too lazy....er....too much to do
Old 06-29-2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Freaknificent

do me a fave and ask the cost on replacing or fixing it please i'd go myself but too lazy....er....too much to do

wow there, the two of you need to do a search on the org for three things.
1)vtc
2)exhaust manifold studs
3)lifters

If you dont have the DOHC engine then dont worry about #1 (b/c you do not have them).
Old 06-29-2002, 08:21 PM

he has a 92 gxe so that would =VG (no VTC's)
Old 06-30-2002, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by MillerTyme
he has a 92 gxe so that would =VG (no VTC's)
ok thanx for your help people and he did say something about the lifters being hot and that was making thenoise...thank you for your help and freakninficent, i'll tell you the orice of the cost/....