3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fire around coil - update

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 08:14 AM

Fire around coil - update

The fire around the coil seems to be from the wiring harness going to the coil (this is a VG engine). The coil and power transistor test bad using the chilton's manual test procedures. The wires to the coil and and a second 4 wire harness which appear to go nowhere along with the coil cover are burned from a flame that welded the coil cover and harness/plugs to the coil. No fuses are blown. My question is could the wires to the coil have drawn a large enough current to catch the wires on fire? Should a fuse be in this circuit to protect it? I am trying to find a junk yard where I can buy parts mostly for the plug going to the coil with enough wire to splice into harness. I am concerned that after changing these parts the new ones may fry also from a problem I maybe missing? Does anyone know if there is a 4 wire plug coming off the coil harness about 2 inches from plug that is not used on some cars (92 GXE)? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:43 PM

Re: Fire around coil - update

Originally posted by Bill Doran
The fire around the coil seems to be from the wiring harness going to the coil (this is a VG engine). The coil and power transistor test bad using the chilton's manual test procedures. The wires to the coil and and a second 4 wire harness which appear to go nowhere along with the coil cover are burned from a flame that welded the coil cover and harness/plugs to the coil. No fuses are blown. My question is could the wires to the coil have drawn a large enough current to catch the wires on fire? Should a fuse be in this circuit to protect it? I am trying to find a junk yard where I can buy parts mostly for the plug going to the coil with enough wire to splice into harness. I am concerned that after changing these parts the new ones may fry also from a problem I maybe missing? Does anyone know if there is a 4 wire plug coming off the coil harness about 2 inches from plug that is not used on some cars (92 GXE)? Any help is appreciated.
Chances are your transistor pack failed and this turned your coil on completley instead of pulsing it. This then overheated the coil due to the short circuit current it experienced. I'd suggest getting a new transistor pack and coil (instead of the junky) or get an aftermarket coil (less expensive). And of course repairing any burnt wiring.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:41 PM

i still have original wires

My VG has had the same wires for 90k now... if i get new ones do ya think ill feel some more power.?