3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tranny Cooler!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 05:00 AM

Well today was very, very hot here in Singleton about 2 hours from Sydney on this beautiful summers day. It was around 36 degrees......... Anyway I was taking my car over to a town called Cessnock to Nissan for an Engine Tune. Well on the way I overtook a few cars as I was late and really got the car moving along. Don't you just love that VG30E power! Well anyway when I was near Cessnock I noticed that the transmission shifts seemed like it was sliping. I think the tranny got hot from all my over taking and high speed. I told the machanic when I got there and he tested the car and said that the Transmission in these Maxima's can get hot and he recommened a tranny cooler.

Do they really work? Anyone that has one fitted please tell me how there tranny is now? Does it help the transmission cool down and operate better! How much does one cost? Im from Australia's so if anyone knows Australian dollars it would help. I just want to make sure I don't damage the tranny in anyway. I have only noticed this happening on very hot days where I have put the car through it's paces. I have the tranny serviced often to keep it well. All help would be great! And I just got home......And we got a very large Thunderstorm with large HAIL...Luck I got my car in the Garage!!
Old 12-07-2000, 06:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

it's vital to the tranny that you keep the ATF at the correct operating temp. it circulates the ATF to a heat exchanger (the cooler) and it releases the heat when cooler air is passed through the cooler. a external tranny cooler would definitely help u. my tranny is working fine after 120K miles. depends which one u get they run about 60-120 USD.
Dan

Originally posted by KITT
Well today was very, very hot here in Singleton about 2 hours from Sydney on this beautiful summers day. It was around 36 degrees......... Anyway I was taking my car over to a town called Cessnock to Nissan for an Engine Tune. Well on the way I overtook a few cars as I was late and really got the car moving along. Don't you just love that VG30E power! Well anyway when I was near Cessnock I noticed that the transmission shifts seemed like it was sliping. I think the tranny got hot from all my over taking and high speed. I told the machanic when I got there and he tested the car and said that the Transmission in these Maxima's can get hot and he recommened a tranny cooler.

Do they really work? Anyone that has one fitted please tell me how there tranny is now? Does it help the transmission cool down and operate better! How much does one cost? Im from Australia's so if anyone knows Australian dollars it would help. I just want to make sure I don't damage the tranny in anyway. I have only noticed this happening on very hot days where I have put the car through it's paces. I have the tranny serviced often to keep it well. All help would be great! And I just got home......And we got a very large Thunderstorm with large HAIL...Luck I got my car in the Garage!!
Old 12-08-2000, 10:21 AM

I paid a 120 for mine on my 3gen and it's still underwarranty, I noticed a few slips a couple days ago when I took it out(keep it parked cause it's sold to my cuz, just waiting on his tax return then it's his and im off to buy my 95se). But the mechanic said it is a must with these cars. I personally am never goin slushbox again, im learning to drive stick and luving every minute. So see you guys out on the road in the spring in the 5sp.

Old 12-08-2000, 10:26 AM

i just got one

for my max.. it's a 95
it's a good idea. and it can only help your tranny especially if you beat on it..

very easy install took me like 2 hours but i took my time..
they cost 40-80 USD

Ant
Old 12-08-2000, 07:58 PM

Too cool is not good either (not as bad as over heating but not good either). Using an overly large cooler is an especially poor idea in very cold climates.

See info at:

http://performanceunlimited.com/docu...tempguide.html