4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problem with Fog Light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 11:03 AM

Problem with Fog Light Bulbs

hey what's goin on everybody. i have a 99 maxima se and i have a problem with one of my fog lights. i bought h3 piaa platinum super white bulbs a couple of months ago and i like them. however as of recently, my left fog light, (the driver side), doesn't come on somtimes. it will work for one week then all of a sudden it wouldn't work. then a few days later it will work and then it wouldn't. it's kinda weird. my other foglight works just fine. no problems with that one. it's just the driver side fog light. I've checked the bulbs and there fine. the filiment in the bulbs are not blown. could it be the fuse? if it is the fuse, wouln't both foglights not work? could it be the wiring? if somebody could help me out, i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:25 AM

Check the pigtail connector and the plug >>

Originally posted by RTF247
...I've checked the bulbs and there fine. the filiment in the bulbs are not blown. could it be the fuse? if it is the fuse, wouln't both foglights not work? could it be the wiring? if somebody could help me out, i would greatly appreciate it.
It's not the fuse.

The pigtail that is the hot signal to the bulb has a small spade at the end of it. This spade goes into the female connector inside the lamp housing. Sometimes, the female connector can become loose, allowing the spade (male) portion to come loose.

Also, check the grey connector at the outside of the housing. If there is significant corrosion (greenish slime) you'll need to take an old toothbrush and some electronics cleaner (available at RadioShack) and clean it out. Follow that up with some diaelectric grease and it should be fine. Also, check to make sure the connector hasn't melted.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:47 AM

Re: Check the pigtail connector and the plug >>

Originally posted by Albertt

It's not the fuse.

The pigtail that is the hot signal to the bulb has a small spade at the end of it. This spade goes into the female connector inside the lamp housing. Sometimes, the female connector can become loose, allowing the spade (male) portion to come loose.

Also, check the grey connector at the outside of the housing. If there is significant corrosion (greenish slime) you'll need to take an old toothbrush and some electronics cleaner (available at RadioShack) and clean it out. Follow that up with some diaelectric grease and it should be fine. Also, check to make sure the connector hasn't melted.
hey thanks for the info. i appreciate it. i'll check that stuff out asap. Thanks again
Old 07-12-2002, 03:43 PM

Re: Problem with Fog Light Bulbs

this could be a relatively simple fix for u .. ck the comection with the piaa and the actual harness for the fog make sure there fully connected
Old 07-12-2002, 05:13 PM

yeah its gotta be the conector i had that same problem with one of my headlights i just cut the old conetor off and spliced on the new one no problems

97BLKMAXSE