4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to remove the fuel filter and clean tb

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 12:22 PM

how to remove the fuel filter and clean tb

i'm trying to replace my fuel filter but i'm having big truble removing the old one.

The access to the filter is obstructed by a stillen fstb and the air intake. i did unscrew the clambs but the hoses seem to be stuck on the filter (can't get my hands in there enough to take them of)

i'm also trying to clean by throttle body so i got an intake cleaner at pep boys and the instructions say to expose the tb and spray the cleaner at the butterfly plate while the car is running. should i do that or should i just get a rag and clean it with the car off (as per instructions in http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...y_cleaning.htm)

thanx
Old 07-12-2002, 12:26 PM

ok FIRST...make sure the cleaner system for the TB is FUEL INJECTION safe....next, DO NOT clean the TB with the car running...itll just sputter and die.....thirdly, abotu the fuel filter, i didnt remove my FSTB, but i did remove my aftermarket intake assembly....you can do the same for your stock air box, its not too hard....few hoses here and there, and its off....also, try using some pliars to take the hoses off, but make sure they arent too sharp, you dont wanna puncture a whole into the fuel lines....lastly, have lots of paper towels ready, or what i did was used a can, and let all the fuel drip into it....good luck
Old 07-12-2002, 12:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: how to remove the fuel filter and clean tb

Originally posted by gryps
i'm trying to replace my fuel filter but i'm having big truble removing the old one.

The access to the filter is obstructed by a stillen fstb and the air intake. i did unscrew the clambs but the hoses seem to be stuck on the filter (can't get my hands in there enough to take them of)

i'm also trying to clean by throttle body so i got an intake cleaner at pep boys and the instructions say to expose the tb and spray the cleaner at the butterfly plate while the car is running. should i do that or should i just get a rag and clean it with the car off (as per instructions in http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...y_cleaning.htm)

thanx
I ended up using pliers to pull the hose of the filter. Be careful not to tear the hose. I would recommend cleaning with the car off.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:28 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Follow the instructions on the motorvate web site. Our cars will not run correctly with the MAF disconnected. Get up in there as deep as you can with a tooth brush and rags.

The fuel filter is a PITA. There's no easy way. I used a pair of channel locks to pull the hoses off.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2002, 02:59 PM

Fuel filter

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=fuel+filter

or this is what is on the thread

"Well, after several posting and reading I figured out the easiest way to change Fuel filter.
Many people try from top or bottom, taking out the air box component, strut bar, getting cuts on their hands, hard to pull out the hose, etc.

Well, after some thinking, it only took me 15 minutes to change the fuel filter without taking any airbox assembly, not cutting hands, with no gasoline spill. The solution?

From the side wall.

First turn the handle all the way to the right, and pull the fuel pump. The car will stall. Reach from the top and take the hose off from the engine block. Do not take the hose off from the fuel filter since this is very hard. The top hose that connects to the engine block is much easier. Then put some kink of cotton ( other method) to conver the hole of the hose to prevent spilling of gas. Drop the fuel filter down.
Get the jack equipment from your trunk and jack up the left from side of the car. Make sure that you have turned the from wheels all the way to the right. Take off fron left wheel.

Now if you look inside of fender, you will see fuel filter that you dropped from the top. Take of bottom hose. It is very easy to take off since you have ample space to work with and with two hands! Yes you can use TWO HANDS. Prior to taking the bottom hose from the filter, place some paper towels for the gas that comes out from the fuel filter. Note, if you have closed the upper hose, then gas spill is minimized.

Now you have fuel filter with upper hose. Take it off and put the new filter back. Following the reverse order.

It is piece of cake. If you notice, it is much much easier this way. Note that I have ABS brakes and I did not take any component apart from the engine bay but only the front left tire.

Now we know that changing fuel filter should not take at max more than 30 minutes!!!"
Old 07-12-2002, 05:08 PM

Re: Fuel filter

fuel line is pretty cheap. I just cut off my existing line and replaced for $1.00/ft hose at DAP.

would have only taken 10 min but I had N2O solenoids with very obstructive steel braided lines in the way
Old 07-12-2002, 06:43 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Use a blowdryer on the fuel filter hoses. You'll thank me.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:24 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
Use a blowdryer on the fuel filter hoses. You'll thank me.
whats the other 1% for?
Old 07-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by oCtoG3

whats the other 1% for?
0.1%
Old 07-12-2002, 08:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

0.1%
still havent answered my question
Old 07-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

still havent answered my question
Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe I can make performance 33.4%. Or perhaps they can all be 33.3-BAR percent. Or, maybe the 0.1% is for Stereo as I have added a whopping 6"x6" piece of Dynomat behind each door speaker. Yeah, that's it.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe I can make performance 33.4%. Or perhaps they can all be 33.3-BAR percent. Or, maybe the 0.1% is for Stereo as I have added a whopping 6"x6" piece of Dynomat behind each door speaker. Yeah, that's it.
a dynomat reduces rattle?.. (im asking)
Old 07-12-2002, 08:56 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

a dynomat reduces rattle?.. (im asking)
Perhaps but only as a side benefit. That's not the intended purpose. It more to keep the outside noise (wind, road noise, traffic noise) out and the inside noise (ex. Your music!) in. Last car I went stereo. I'm sick of it. This car I went looks and performance. I don't want a stereo. The expense, the added weight, the constant stress of wondering if it will be there when you get back to your car. Have a good weekend oct.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:17 AM

i just changed my fuel filter the other day the only thing i took of was the FSTB to get get the hoses off just keep pulling on them and twisting them thell come off

97BLKMAXSE