4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

question for those with agx and kyb dust boots

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 03:46 PM

question for those with agx and kyb dust boots

when you did the rear shocks, did you only use the kyb dust boot? The reason I'm asking is I didn't realize until today that i may have put in the stock bump stop and also have the bump stop that is integrated into the kyb boot. I did put the orange bump stop that was oem on then I slid the kyb boot over. Is that okay. I haven't bottomed our or anything so I'm guessing it's okay.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not familiar with OEM dustboots because I just took mine off and threw them away. The KYB dustboots are all that you need in the back; nothing from the OEM dustboots needs to be transplanted. For further info ask njmaxseltd.
-hype
Old 07-14-2002, 10:11 PM

when njmaxseltd and I did mine we had the OEM boot and cut them apart removed the tow middle ribs of the bumpstop and glued them back together. Had no choice cuz I didn't have the ones from AGX. Might get them and put them in later this summer.

KEvin
Old 07-15-2002, 10:56 AM

95maximase-
I just installed my AGX/Progress this weekend. I believe you have a decreased the susp travel with the OEM bumpstop in with the KYB dust boot. Obviously you noticed the KYB boots have a built in bumpstop. I tried leaving the OEM in also and it didn't give me much travel so I took the OEMs out completely. I'd recommend you do the same. I highly doubt you'd have any issues with bottoming out with the OEM in there but in my opinion it would just be in the way.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:55 PM

[thanks ravq. how did the install go. DOn't you just love these things. yeah it looks like i'm going to be taking apart the front end to remove the orange bumpstop. So let me get this straight with you....you used the kyb dustboot only right and nothing oem??? thanks
Old 07-15-2002, 05:50 PM

Man I love the AGXs. And yes you are correct I removed all of the OEM bumpstops and boots and just used the KYB boots/stops. It sure was a pain getting the lower bolts off with just the handtools.

Originally posted by 95maximase
[thanks ravq. how did the install go. DOn't you just love these things. yeah it looks like i'm going to be taking apart the front end to remove the orange bumpstop. So let me get this straight with you....you used the kyb dustboot only right and nothing oem??? thanks
Old 07-16-2002, 06:24 AM

95maximase-
I got to thinking and just wanted to clarify something. If you were referring to the rubber "bushing" (#6 in pic) as shown in the rear suspension pic HERE then you must leave it in. I left that part in but the OEM boot I took out. I didn't want to misinform you because the rear KYB boots are different than the fronts. Just wanted to be on the same page. Sorry if I confused you.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:03 AM

okay I got the car up on the rack last night and also went through my stuff that I had pulled out. In the front I did remove the bump stop....yeah so i didn't have to pull the strut apart. Now the part I was talking about on the rear is number 7 and 8 on the diagram in this thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=72678

I actually pulled the strut out and took it apart last night. then when I went to tighten down the strut it didn't lock in right. we mechanic friend said i need to keep that piece in to fill the space and provide resistance against the nut on the strut. I was so ****ed that I pulled a few things off the car to figure out i did everything right.
Anyways all is good and I don't plan on touching my suspension any more. I'm always worried I'll strip something. thanks for your help
Old 07-16-2002, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by 95maximase
okay I got the car up on the rack last night and also went through my stuff that I had pulled out. In the front I did remove the bump stop....yeah so i didn't have to pull the strut apart. Now the part I was talking about on the rear is number 7 and 8 on the diagram in this thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=72678

I actually pulled the strut out and took it apart last night. then when I went to tighten down the strut it didn't lock in right. we mechanic friend said i need to keep that piece in to fill the space and provide resistance against the nut on the strut. I was so ****ed that I pulled a few things off the car to figure out i did everything right.
Anyways all is good and I don't plan on touching my suspension any more. I'm always worried I'll strip something. thanks for your help
#7 and #8 definitely have to be there. Weird I said #6 in my previous post but I was looking at my Chilton manual which looks almost the same but the numbers are different. Anyways at least the rears aren't all that bad to remove. Enjoy the ride! (I know I am)