4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about front Strut dust boots - searched already.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002 | 07:52 AM

Question about front Strut dust boots - searched already.

My front left dust boot is torn and also seperated at the top (from the bump stops??) and is just sitting there at the bottom of the strut. The reason this bothers me so much is since I am getting a slight noise/vibration when the left wheel goes over time undulations on the street and this maybe due to the dust boot. I know this is just a rubber boot, but it's quite a heavy part and may have also compromised the bump stop.

I am running the stock suspension. Between org and motorvate.ca - I am not convinced if I need a spring compresoor to remove the strut assembly off the wheel well. Can someone that has attempted this tell me what the job entails? Also, while the strut is removed, what other parts will I need to replace? (the strut bearing for sure).

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2002 | 08:08 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

You don't need a spring compressor to get the unit off of the car, but if you want to get at the dust boot, you will need to take compress the spring and take the unit apart.

This is a car we changed the springs on once:

http://www.performanceix.com/howto/images/12/25.jpg

That unit pictured will come out w/o a compressor, but to get to the boot, you need to take everything apart.
Old 07-17-2002 | 08:35 AM

Thanks NickStam. Just one more question. Since the tie-rods etc don't have to be disassembled, I am assuming I don't to get the alignment re-done correct? I just had my alignment adjusted a few weeks ago.
Old 07-17-2002 | 08:37 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The strut assy comes out of the car in 5 minutes. You need heavy duty tools for this job. 3/8 inch ratchets will NOT work for you here. You need 1/2 inch drives and a braker bar to get the lower bolts lose. Also use only 6 point sockets. 12 point sockets will do nothing but round off the bolt heads leaving you with a major headache.

Take the strut out by loseing the lower 2 mounting bolts. 19mm is the size of the nuts. You need a nice large 1/2 braker bar here. 17mm is the size of the bolt head, you have just hold that from spinning with a box wrench.

You have to remove the brake line clip and ABS wire (10mm bolt) if your car is so equipped.

Next - Just losen the center piston shaft nut. It's easier to crack it lose while it's on the car. DO NOT TAKE THIS NUT OFF, ONLY CRACK IT LOSE!!!!! After you crack that lose, remove the 3 nuts that hold the top of the strut in the car. There either 22mm or 17mm depending on what year your car is. Then the strut assy. comes right out of the car.

To dissemble the strut you must compress the spring. After the spring is compressed you can remove that center nut which should be already lose for you. Then watch very carefully how the assembely comes apart. It's not rocket science, but you can get things messed up. Pay attention to the strut bearing. It's a grey plastic ring which you will find when you take the upper strut mount off. The strut mount is the first piece that will come off the top once the spring is compressed and the nut removed. Next is the upper spring perch - this is what the OEM dust cover should be pressed into. Yours has fallen apart so only the top ring will be still be snapped into the upper perch.

The job is actually relatively easy, just take your time and watch closely how it comes apart.

One quick note - The upper spring perch has the word OUT stamped on it. MAKE SURE that the word OUT points OUT twards the fender when you assemble everything. When the spring is put back on the strut, the word OUT should line up with the lower mounting brackets. Make it all point twards you and you'll be just fine!

Good luck!
Tom
Old 07-17-2002 | 08:49 AM

Thanks Tom. Appreciate the detailed instructions.