4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car detailing expert needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 12:07 PM

Car detailing expert needed!

I need to do some serious work on my car's paint job, after years of neglect, the paint has water spots and swirls marks that needs some attention. Plus I would like to polish and wax the car.

I bought 3M's Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound and the Imperial hand glaze. I plan on getting Meguiars #26 Hi-tech yellow wax.

Should I apply the 3m products by hand or with an orbital buffer? Do you guys think I need anything else? and does anyone have experience with these products?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

-Wash the car with dish soap to break down any wax or residue that's on the car.

-Clay bar the entire car. This takes time but is well worth it. It removes the bedded in dirt and crap that regular car washes can't get rid of. It also makes the car's surface smooooooth.

-Wash car again with an automotive car soap (Meguiars, Turtle Wax, etc..) to get rid of clay residue.

-Polish to bring out shine and eliminate swirl marks and such.

-Wax to protect.

-Massage therapist to make your arms and lower back nimble again because you will be sore after all of this. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:22 PM

go here
http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum...?s=&forumid=51
Old 07-17-2002, 12:27 PM

I know you want to do it yourself but I would say go get it professionally done. I had mine done a month ago and was astonished when they got through with it. I had it washed, clay barred, buffed, and waxed for $110. They got all the swirl marks out and even took the dullness out where I tried to use rubbing compound and where my Nissan logo was on the trunk. It was BEAUTIFUL and I seriously think it was the best money I have ever spent on the looks of my car. There was not a single bug left on my bumper and all the debris from the road behind my wheels on the paint was gone. I am going to do it once a year now just to keep the paint in good condition. Ask around and I am sure you will hear of some good places in Atlanta.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
I know you want to do it yourself but I would say go get it professionally done. I had mine done a month ago and was astonished when they got through with it. I had it washed, clay barred, buffed, and waxed for $110. They got all the swirl marks out and even took the dullness out where I tried to use rubbing compound and where my Nissan logo was on the trunk. It was BEAUTIFUL and I seriously think it was the best money I have ever spent on the looks of my car. There was not a single bug left on my bumper and all the debris from the road behind my wheels on the paint was gone. I am going to do it once a year now just to keep the paint in good condition. Ask around and I am sure you will hear of some good places in Atlanta.

Your right, I really want to do this myself..it's going to be a good learning experience. I'll probably kicking myself for not listing to you.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by ripper7
You're right, I really want to do this myself..it's going to be a good learning experience. I'll probably kick myself for not listening to you.
If you're low on cash, it would be OK to do it yourself. It's not hard, just time consuming... and you need to know what to do when and how (e.g. using a cotton cloth to remove wax haze, repeatedly ROTATING the cloth to clean sections so that you avoid pronounced swirl marks).

But I agree... when time is not cheap for you, it's worth spending the money for a very good detail job. Claying the paint is important to, even if you have clearcoat, and you have to specifically ask for this.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:28 PM

Re: Car detailing expert needed!

I need to do some serious work on my car's paint job, after years of neglect, the paint has water spots and swirls marks that needs some attention. Plus I would like to polish and wax the car.

I bought 3M's Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound and the Imperial hand glaze. I plan on getting Meguiars #26 Hi-tech yellow wax.

Should I apply the 3m products by hand or with an orbital buffer? Do you guys think I need anything else? and does anyone have experience with these products?

Thanks.
`
I use all three. Rubbing compound is basically sandpaper use it sparingly. For water spots and swirl marks Imperial hand glaze should work well so try that before you go to the compound. Don't use compound unless you've tried everything else.

Hi tech #26 is the wax i use because on my dark green paint this wax dosen't dry white and fill in the scratches. So the scratches are not as obvious. I like the liquid better than the paste.

Also I've found it is easier to get the wax off once it's dried with fresh towels.
What I mean is after using the same spot on one towel for a while the wax gets caked into the towel and then the wax dosen't come off the paint as easy. So have plenty off 100% cotton towels ready.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:53 PM

I read a thread on 5g on Maguires fine clear cut, is that the same as the 3m rubbing compound? Do i need something else before I apply the imperial glaze?
Old 07-18-2002, 04:39 PM

I read a thread on 5g on Maguires fine clear cut, is that the same as the 3m rubbing compound? Do i need something else before I apply the imperial glaze?
I read a thread on 5g on Maguires fine clear cut, is that the same as the 3m rubbing compound?
Don't know.

Do i need something else before I apply the imperial glaze?
No. However, Mothers and Meguiars both have a three step cleaning system. Step 1 is a paint cleaner. Step 2 is a glaze. Step 3 is a wax.
I use 3M glaze for step 2. Step 1 is supposed to take out water marks and swirl marks also. Use step1 if the hand glaze dosen't work.

Again avoid compound as much as you can and always use any of this stuff in the shade ie: on a cool to the touch paint surface.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:13 PM

I took the 3m rubbing compound back and got Maguires deep crystal paint cleaner, did not have the fine cut cleaner. I'm thinking I can clean the paint with the paint cleaner, then use the 3m hand glaze. If the scratch and swirls do not come off i'll try M swirl remover.