4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which cat-back system is for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Which cat-back system is for me?

I've had my car for about 2 months now, 96 maxima SE 5sp, and I havent done a hole lot to it yet. I've been looking into exhaust systems for the sole purpose that its just to quiet stock. for right now im just interested in a cat back system, keeping my self from high flow cat and y pipe because of money and noise issues. I was curious what you guys would recomend to me, I've been looking at either apexi or stillen but havent heard either and dont wanna spend the money to find out my car sounds like *** with the exhaust.

--DaN
Old 07-17-2002, 08:27 PM

A'PEXi World Sport is the best sounding exhaust IMO. It's quiet at idle and sounds great when you open it up to WOT. I had the STILLEN and it was way loud and ricey for my taste. Just my .02 though
Old 07-17-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: Which cat-back system is for me?

Originally posted by DanIAm
I've had my car for about 2 months now, 96 maxima SE 5sp, and I havent done a hole lot to it yet. I've been looking into exhaust systems for the sole purpose that its just to quiet stock. for right now im just interested in a cat back system, keeping my self from high flow cat and y pipe because of money and noise issues. I was curious what you guys would recomend to me, I've been looking at either apexi or stillen but havent heard either and dont wanna spend the money to find out my car sounds like *** with the exhaust.

--DaN
A y-pipe is a TON cheaper than a cat-back system... Also produces decent gains of around 14HP (even though i know you aren't in it for the power as you stated, but hey, i'd take free HP anywhere possible)... If you're really bent on cat-back though, go with what jjwm82 said, it's the best of both worlds, while the stillen is the loudest, the A'pexi is the quietest...
Old 07-17-2002, 09:04 PM

Re: Which cat-back system is for me?

--DaN
buy a ypipe, bpipe, high flow cat and retain the stock muffler. you'll definately get a little more growl from the motor but nothing close to loud. plus you'll notice an increase in power and mileage. i love answering exhaust questions.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:25 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Since we are on this topic....

Does anyone know if the B-pipe is part of the Catback system? it's after the Catalytic Converter right?

Is a catback just the B-pipe and the muffler or what?

Also...

Who knows anything about the Cattman catback? I was just wondering if it is mandel bent..
Old 07-17-2002, 10:03 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Since we are on this topic....

Does anyone know if the B-pipe is part of the Catback system? it's after the Catalytic Converter right?

Is a catback just the B-pipe and the muffler or what?

Also...

Who knows anything about the Cattman catback? I was just wondering if it is mandel bent..
The B-Pipe is after the cat and before the muffler...

A cat-back kis is everything from the cat,back
Old 07-17-2002, 11:21 PM

yeah i think im liking the idea of the apexi...but trust me i would like the power but im not going all out on an exhaust as of yet, right now keeping it emisions legal and not incredibly loud is what im goin for...i was planing on waiting a year or so, finding a diferent car as an everyday driver and put some serious work into my maxima just because i love the car but anyway thanx for the help and stuff and anyone know of a site thats got apexi cat back for less then $375?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:09 AM

yeah i think im liking the idea of the apexi...but trust me i would like the power but im not going all out on an exhaust as of yet, right now keeping it emisions legal and not incredibly loud is what im goin for...i was planing on waiting a year or so, finding a diferent car as an everyday driver and put some serious work into my maxima just because i love the car but anyway thanx for the help and stuff and anyone know of a site thats got apexi cat back for less then $375?
you can assemble my exhaust setup for about $400 and it's T304 stainless. less if you skip out on the test pipe and buy a cheaper tip than the borla round angle cut tip. you can even assemble one for less than that if you opt for warpspeed's aluminized Bpipe with or without a resonator (150 or 170+shipping). however, it won't be all stainless if you go with warpspeed. my "pieced together" exhaust is a straight thru design. all 2.25" piping which is all you need for an N/A setup. it sounds pretty good if you leave the cat on and its pretty quiet when you're cruising on the highway. it added 1mph to my trap speed and i get at least 27mpg on my last two tanks. borla muffler is nearly sleeper unless you polish it to a mirror finish.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:42 AM

I have greddy and wouldn't change it for anything else, if you put it on your car you will agree with me.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by CitrusSpeed
I have greddy and wouldn't change it for anything else, if you put it on your car you will agree with me.
How is your Greddy better than Apexi?
Old 07-18-2002, 09:16 AM

i'm looking for exhasut also...where are u located citrus?? if possible i would like to hear how your set up sounds...
Old 07-18-2002, 09:18 AM

if your wondering how my greddy is better, i guess you have never heard one
Old 07-18-2002, 09:21 AM

he said he doesn't have the money for either system. i'm giving him a cheaper, stainless steel and effective alternative.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:34 PM

allright i have one more question seeing as how i've never installed an after market exhaust before. Do they apexi systems or any of the systems come with hangers made for the car or am i going to have to rig hangers for the exhaust?
Old 07-18-2002, 01:53 PM
henock

i've heard some really high pitched greddys

http://www.desertpearlmax.homestead....axoutside2.wav
(2001 SE:
JWT POP Intake, Greddy Cat-back exhaust)

and deep sounding ones also..

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9289/start.mp3
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9289/side.mp3
(96 SE :
K&N conical airfilter, Cattman Performance Y-pipe, Random Technology 3" catalytic converter, and a Greddy cat-back exhaust)

it depends on the rest of your setup

Old 07-18-2002, 02:12 PM

allright i have one more question seeing as how i've never installed an after market exhaust before. Do they apexi systems or any of the systems come with hangers made for the car or am i going to have to rig hangers for the exhaust?
all aftermarket exhaust systems and bpipes come with fasterners that connect to the existing rubber hangers on the car. with a borla turbo or any other universal muffler you'll need a muffler shop to weld it on and include hangers. labor should cost about $30-$45 as a rough estimate.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by henock

i've heard some really high pitched greddys

http://www.desertpearlmax.homestead....axoutside2.wav
(2001 SE:
JWT POP Intake, Greddy Cat-back exhaust)
the second set of sound wav dont work (the one with y pipe 96 max)

and deep sounding ones also..

(96 SE :
K&N conical airfilter, Cattman Performance Y-pipe, Random Technology 3" catalytic converter, and a Greddy cat-back exhaust)

Old 07-18-2002, 10:17 PM

Goes like this in loudness (1 being loudest)

1) $tealin
2) Greddy
3) Apexi
Old 07-19-2002, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by henock

(96 SE :

The MP3 files' links don't work.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:21 AM
henock

try to copy/paste the address to your address bar i think geocities has some protection for their files.

Old 08-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have three more Apexi WS exhausts - P/N - 104-KN03. $395.95 flat $48 shipping to the 48 states.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:20 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Re: Re: Which cat-back system is for me?

Originally posted by VQdriver
buy a ypipe, bpipe, high flow cat and retain the stock muffler. you'll definately get a little more growl from the motor but nothing close to loud. plus you'll notice an increase in power and mileage. i love answering exhaust questions.
VQDriver,I tried sending you a PM. Your message box is full.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Which cat-back system is for me?

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

VQDriver,I tried sending you a PM. Your message box is full.
i know, i can't seem to figure this out..my inbox is empty, but people can't send me PMs!? how do i confirm that everything is empty?? try sending me email. maxgxe97@yahoo.com