4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FrankenCar midpipe w/ JWT intake RESULTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

FrankenCar midpipe w/ JWT intake RESULTS

Am I the first to do this? I did some searches myself, but found nothing.

Anyway, I had a lot of very minor problems with fitment, but after about an hour of posting on the org and going back to the garage to try something new, I figured it out for the most part.

For a 4th Gen midpipe, there are a few things that I'd like to point out to help everyone get their install right without too much hassle.
(Steve, maybe you could include this in your instructions if you agree with me)

This only applies to people getting a midpipe with their existing JWT/Stillen Cone.

1) Be sure the battery is pushed out towards the side of the tray closest to the front of the car. You need as much room as possible.

2) If you think the heater hose that comes with the midpipe is too long, cut it a few inches. I cut mine three inches, and it makes a nice smooth curve towards the IACV (it narrows a very tiny bit in the middle though, due to the slight inflexibility of the tubing)

3) If you have JWT intake, you know that it comes with a support rod/bracket (unlike the full sized bracket for a Stillen) that bolts to one hole on the chassis of the car. Be sure that when you put that on w/ the midpipe, it is parallel to the surface of the MAF. If not, you WILL crack your MAF. I have a surface crack already, and it just from overtightening the four bolts unevenly.

4) Be sure to minimize the amount of slant on the coupler hooking to the TB. You don't want any leaks. Be sure to tighten that very snugly too. My estimation is use a screwdriver until its snug. Then use a rachet and give it a quarter turn more.

Test Drive

Well, I took my dad along just for fun. I warmed it up below 3k as usual, and once my car reached normal operating temp, I got onto the highway (880 S for any of you in Cali).

Now as all of you know, on ramps are the greatest. I slowed down to let the car ahead of me get some distance, and I punched it...as the RPMs climbed at a rapid pace, the growl got LOUDER. Extremely louder. I didn't get to open up too much, but it already gave me a hint that this thing is LOUD (in a good way of course).

Anyway, I showed my dad the rev-matching technique, and he was glad that I learned it. I exited, and got back onto an onramp in the opposite direction. This is where I really got to test it. There was about 1/2 mile stretch of free road, and I just went. Every time I switched into the next gear, the throttle became deeper and deeper. It was absolutely great.

Unlike dental stud who didn't feel a difference in sound or performance, I did. I was as unbiased as possible (it's hard not to be influenced by you guys) and the midpipe blew me away. It seriously did. You know that feeling where you just want more sound to your intake, like the cone filter wasn't enough? Personally, I've always had tha feeling, especially with a 5-speed. Well, this is the solution to all of your problems. It adds depth to your engine, and it makes it sound very un-maxima like.

I have a lot of other things to take care of now so I hope this helped out.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:08 AM

u still got tha crack in the mid pipe? what did u do bout it??
Old 07-22-2002, 12:09 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Pics, We need pics turdz... Good write up. Now u got me thinking of just getting the frankencar instead of the Injen. Hmm, decisions, decisions.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:39 AM
syc

Re: FrankenCar midpipe w/ JWT intake RESULTS

why did you make it work? now, I got use my credit card to buy it.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

fully agree with whole writeup (i got the whole frankencar kit tho, not just the midpipe), see sig
Old 07-22-2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Iilac
Pics, We need pics turdz... Good write up. Now u got me thinking of just getting the frankencar instead of the Injen. Hmm, decisions, decisions.
pics here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....6&pagenumber=2
Old 07-22-2002, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by chigga
u still got tha crack in the mid pipe? what did u do bout it??
I super glued it. It was the perfect solution. Even though I'm a bit disappointed I smudged it, it stays on very strong now.

chigga, MattC (other FrankenCar co-owner) advised me to not worry about it. He said him and Steve were even questioning if it was even necessary. He ensured me that it won't affect performance.

btw, got a new pic that you might be intersted in:

it fits very nicely now, but remember not to fit in on too tight. just get it to the point where it's "just enough."

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...39_57_full.jpg
Old 07-22-2002, 01:07 AM
JsL

Looks good. Good job and great useful write-up
Old 07-22-2002, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by TurDz

I super glued it. It was the perfect solution. Even though I'm a bit disappointed I smudged it, it stays on very strong now.

chigga, MattC (other FrankenCar co-owner) advised me to not worry about it. He said him and Steve were even questioning if it was even necessary. He ensured me that it won't affect performance.

btw, got a new pic that you might be intersted in:

it fits very nicely now, but remember not to fit in on too tight. just get it to the point where it's "just enough."

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...39_57_full.jpg

looks exactly like my setup... i have the stillen intake.. i feel stupid now.. cuz i could have told you that u had to move the battery over so that rthe intake would fully fit!!.. oh well.. it looks good tho !
Old 07-22-2002, 02:24 AM

TurDz,

Perhaps you are not the first to couple Frankenkar midpipe with JWT, but you sure are the first to write this down.

I got the same problem with you in regard to cutting the tube (to IAC valve) and coupler between the TB and the midpipe. It was the hardest part, in my case, to connect the midpipe and TB without having any leak. I tighten mine really snug for this section.

However, I was suprised you noticed the gain right away though. I have a Stillen cone intake and seemed to me that the car needs about 2-3 hours driving to adjust to the new midpipe. My gain did not come right away, but I am an Auto...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TurDz
[B]Am I the first to do this? I did some searches myself, but found nothing.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:43 AM

If Steve ever gets the pictures form his camera, we have pictures of Mattsy helping with my test monkey install.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

How much is the Franken mid-pipe?
Old 07-22-2002, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Iilac
Hi, this is a little off-topic, but I was looking at your sig and you say that you have a 1995 SE but the pic looks like it has a 97-99 grille. Did you change your grille out or something?
Old 07-22-2002, 09:35 AM

This only applies to people getting a midpipe with their existing JWT/Stillen Cone.
I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but why get just the Frankencar mid-pipe with the JWT intake? Why not get the whole Frankencar intake+midpipe? Is there any benefit going with the 2 different parts?
Old 07-22-2002, 09:38 AM

Re: Re: FrankenCar midpipe w/ JWT intake RESULTS

Originally posted by speedemn

I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but why get just the Frankencar mid-pipe with the JWT intake? Why not get the whole Frankencar intake+midpipe? Is there any benefit going with the 2 different parts?
cuz he might have purchased the JWT before.. just liek me.. i got the Stillen one before.. no point in discarding the stillen one.. it was in good condition.. so i just bought the pipe
Old 07-22-2002, 10:45 AM

nice write up

thanks turdz you helped me to buy the franken pipe and cleared a lot of issues with fitment....now all ihave to do is wait but i have no idea what a coupler is so i dont what i should move where@!
Old 07-22-2002, 11:41 AM

Re: nice write up

Not to down play your testimonial Turdz, but do you have timeslips? Sounding nice is one thing, but sounding fast is another. Does anyone have timeslips to go along with their Frankencar endorsments?
Old 07-22-2002, 11:57 AM

Nah, no time slips. I haven't been race-insipred enough to go to the track yet. Hopefully, this August.

Anyway, to answer your slew of questions and comments...

Iilac's car has a 97 Grille, but it's a 95 car.

MaxedOut, the battery IS fully pushed to the side. If you read my fitment problems post, you'll see it.

Lime, pics of another install would be helpful. thanx

Yes, I did purchase the JWT intake a long time ago. Actually came with the car. I like very authentic design of the cone and velocity stack
Old 07-22-2002, 01:05 PM

Re: Re: nice write up

Originally posted by Str8ridin
Not to down play your testimonial Turdz, but do you have timeslips? Sounding nice is one thing, but sounding fast is another. Does anyone have timeslips to go along with their Frankencar endorsments?
First, who do you refer to as "their"?

and sounding nice and sounding fast are different things?
Old 07-22-2002, 01:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: nice write up

First, who do you refer to as "their"?

and sounding nice and sounding fast are different things?
By "their", I am reffering to people who post threads about their "awesome" or "wow" experiences with Frankencar intakes. e.g. you.

Secondly, a slipping air conditioner belt could whine and sound like a supercharger (Sound fast), but not sound nice. Conversely, a small hole in the muffler could sound nice, but not neccessarily sound fast. Either way, I was just requesting some of the people who had great experiences post some timeslips. There seems to be this "Better than it actually is" syndrome that people catch when purchasing mods and doing work themselves.

Before and after Time slips say alot, that's all.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:23 PM

i have the intake..do u think its really gonna help ur 1/4 times?? what maybe .1?
Old 07-22-2002, 01:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: nice write up

Sounds like this guys hating pretty hard but anyway. Does the midpipe get rid of that annoying low end lag in autos? I currently have a stillen intake.

By "their", I am reffering to people who post threads about their "awesome" or "wow" experiences with Frankencar intakes. e.g. you.

Secondly, a slipping air conditioner belt could whine and sound like a supercharger (Sound fast), but not sound nice. Conversely, a small hole in the muffler could sound nice, but not neccessarily sound fast. Either way, I was just requesting some of the people who had great experiences post some timeslips. There seems to be this "Better than it actually is" syndrome that people catch when purchasing mods and doing work themselves.

Before and after Time slips say alot, that's all.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: nice write up

Originally posted by MrBlank
Sounds like this guys hating pretty hard but anyway.
No, just ovoiding being a sucker by spending $200+ on a mod that probably isn't better than my JWT Intake because of something I read in a internet forum.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:45 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: nice write up

Originally posted by MrBlank
Sounds like this guys hating pretty hard but anyway. Does the midpipe get rid of that annoying low end lag in autos? I currently have a stillen intake.

I want to know the same thing. Any thoughts?
Old 07-22-2002, 01:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: nice write up

No, just ovoiding being a sucker by spending $200+ on a mod that probably isn't better than my JWT Intake because of something I read in a internet forum.
I spent $55 man. And I know what you mean about time slips, I understand. Just steaming off the initial thrill of the midpipe.

About the removal of the cone intake lag, well...I have a 5-speed, and it's seemed powerful throughout the rev range even when I had the JWT. The midpipe just gives it that extra "umph" and backs up the sound a lot better.

The car definately sounds nice though...much nicer. If u crave attention for your car, well, you'll get it.

BTW, dynos and time slips should be coming out soon, deezo is supposed to do a few.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:22 PM
syc

I know to go faster is important for many people. for me, I'm pretty satisfied with my car's performance. the only reason for me wanting to buy the franken intake is for the sound. sound is important to me.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:37 PM

Unlike dental stud who didn't feel a difference....
If this is true then I don't believe it. I went from a stock box to the FCP Intake and the car has more ***** and its not in the mind either.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:24 AM

I have a 5spd and I have no doubts at all that my midpipe brought back some if not all of the low-end I lost when I only had my JWT in. The car pulls much harder through 1st and 2nd

shaz
Old 07-24-2002, 07:58 AM

Re: Re: FrankenCar midpipe w/ JWT intake RESULTS

Originally posted by deezo
If this is true then I don't believe it. I went from a stock box to the FCP Intake and the car has more ***** and its not in the mind either.
I meant I didn't feel much difference from just the Stillen cone. Of course it's different over stock! And now I think I feel a slight difference...guess it took my car and butt a couple days to adjust.

Alex
Old 07-24-2002, 02:00 PM

finally threw in my frankencar setup and at 1st i was like it can't be as good as they say. damn, this hybrid setup is nasty. the car has a deep growl now when u floor it and i feel like the car has more ***** in the low and the high end, good work steve!!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 10:58 AM

Am I the first to do this? I did some searches myself, but found nothing.

Anyway, I had a lot of very minor problems with fitment, but after about an hour of posting on the org and going back to the garage to try something new, I figured it out for the most part.

For a 4th Gen midpipe, there are a few things that I'd like to point out to help everyone get their install right without too much hassle.
(Steve, maybe you could include this in your instructions if you agree with me)

1) Be sure the battery is pushed out towards the side of the tray closest to the front of the car. You need as much room as possible.

2) If you think the heater hose that comes with the midpipe is too long, cut it a few inches. I cut mine three inches, and it makes a nice smooth curve towards the IACV (it narrows a very tiny bit in the middle though, due to the slight inflexibility of the tubing)

3) If you have JWT intake, you know that it comes with a support rod/bracket (unlike the full sized bracket for a Stillen) that bolts to one hole on the chassis of the car. Be sure that when you put that on w/ the midpipe, it is parallel to the surface of the MAF. If not, you WILL crack your MAF. I have a surface crack already, and it just from overtightening the four bolts unevenly.

4) Be sure to minimize the amount of slant on the coupler hooking to the TB. You don't want any leaks. Be sure to tighten that very snugly too. My estimation is use a screwdriver until its snug. Then use a rachet and give it a quarter turn more.

Test Drive

Well, I took my dad along just for fun. I warmed it up below 3k as usual, and once my car reached normal operating temp, I got onto the highway (880 S for any of you in Cali).

Now as all of you know, on ramps are the greatest. I slowed down to let the car ahead of me get some distance, and I punched it...as the RPMs climbed at a rapid pace, the growl got LOUDER. Extremely louder. I didn't get to open up too much, but it already gave me a hint that this thing is LOUD (in a good way of course).

Anyway, I showed my dad the rev-matching technique, and he was glad that I learned it. I exited, and got back onto an onramp in the opposite direction. This is where I really got to test it. There was about 1/2 mile stretch of free road, and I just went. Every time I switched into the next gear, the throttle became deeper and deeper. It was absolutely great.

Unlike dental stud who didn't feel a difference in sound or performance, I did. I was as unbiased as possible (it's hard not to be influenced by you guys) and the midpipe blew me away. It seriously did. You know that feeling where you just want more sound to your intake, like the cone filter wasn't enough? Personally, I've always had tha feeling, especially with a 5-speed. Well, this is the solution to all of your problems. It adds depth to your engine, and it makes it sound very un-maxima like.

I have a lot of other things to take care of now so I hope this helped out.

Good info