4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I am OFFICALLY 5 SPEED, HOLY DOOKIE!!!! (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 11:12 AM

Re: I am OFFICALLY 5 SPEED, HOLY DOOKIE!!!! (a little long)

Originally posted by meccanoble
*says this emotionally*

after 4 months, 4 LONG LONG LONG months of researching, analyzing and waiting, my 95 MAXIMA GLE is now a 5 speed!!! There is too much to say and not enough time. First off, everything runs perfectly. My homie skeelo did the job (located in Queens, NY) and besides a few SMALL things he'll take care of later due to time, the car is better than ever.

MY ONLY PROBLEM: ACT pressure plate is stiff as a b!tch! I'm so used tot he soft clutch of corolla's, honda's and skeelo's max, this dookie will give me a great calf work out but it meets so well i won't change it.

The shifter is not high at all. I expected it to be a lot worst but its perfect the way it is to me. HOWEVER, shifting is a little long but nothing bad for daily driving, i just know i'll have a little trouble when racing if i don't get used to it.

What else to say...i'm out of words, i'm just happy i'm finally in the family. I hit 1 and 9 home and even with my auto transmission in the back along with other parts and my friend in the passanger seat, my car was flying faster than ever!

my car used to shake, it doesn't shake anymore, one of my axles that were going sour were replaced due to conversion and the car has a nice idle again.

One thing i did see though was that my car can start without me holding the clutch down, but when i do so it sounds real bad like its fighting to start....

i don't know what else to say...to all that want to do conversion and have doubts, please post whatever here and ask me questions, i'll be able to output more with questions...my only advice is that you get a ACT clutch but nissan pressure plate unless you don't care about stiffness, you'll catch better with ACT pressure plate but if you are used to other stick cars, this will be totally different for you.

*****MY ONLY QUESTION*****

I am going to buy 95 SE 5 speed FED spec 9/94-11/94 prod date (mine is 9/94) ECU and i need to know how to take out my old one and install this one. That should take care of my engine light according to most people on the org.

AM I HAPPY with my new car???

HECK YES!!!!

Enjoy!!
Old 07-28-2002, 12:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Congrats mecca! - Now once you actually do a major mod yourself, you'll be a real man. But at least you've graduated to adolescence.

How much did skeelo charge you to do it?

Would he be willing to do another? I'm thinking about visiting my ex over in Weehawken NJ this time next year.

But then again, mtrai and I could probably do it ourselves.

mtrai760:

(I still want to help you, and I still want the B-Pipe, just working CRAZY hours this week.)

Give me a call if you have any time tomorrow to hook up, I E-Mailed you my cell number. Tomorrow is the only day I have off this week.

IanS
Old 07-28-2002, 12:13 AM
Sports Button FTW

honestly, not to kill skeelo's business or anything but if you can install your own variable intake, supercharger and other mods, you can sure as hell do a conversion yourself. All you need is someone to hold up trans. When i got oil change, i looked under my car and saw where the trans went and from what i saw, it looked kind of easy to do, just dont' know how they were able to hold it up and bolt trans into car but axles looked easy to change and all u need is knowledge of conversion which is supplied all over net...if u worried, skeelo has no problem doing it for anyone but he's a weekend person, works weekdays, messes wit cars on weekends...i would recommend saving the dough and doing it yourself but if you want to play it safe, let me know and i'll contact him...he has a lot of experience wit it
Old 07-28-2002, 12:16 AM

honestly, not to kill skeelo's business or anything but if you can install your own variable intake, supercharger and other mods, you can sure as hell do a conversion yourself. All you need is someone to hold up trans. When i got oil change, i looked under my car and saw where the trans went and from what i saw, it looked kind of easy to do, just dont' know how they were able to hold it up and bolt trans into car but axles looked easy to change and all u need is knowledge of conversion which is supplied all over net...if u worried, skeelo has no problem doing it for anyone but he's a weekend person, works weekdays, messes wit cars on weekends...i would recommend saving the dough and doing it yourself but if you want to play it safe, let me know and i'll contact him...he has a lot of experience wit it
I know I can do it myself, but I'm just lazy.

I probably will do it in a year or so....with a Canadian LSD.
I'll probably drive up to Vancouver in a rented truck and get it.

IanS
Old 07-28-2002, 12:33 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by iansw

IanS
lol....what the hell? how much will it cost to get up there? won't it be the same price having it shipped or 50 bucks less? is that even worth it?
Old 07-28-2002, 09:49 AM

lol....what the hell? how much will it cost to get up there? won't it be the same price having it shipped or 50 bucks less? is that
even worth it?
Yes, LSD is worth it.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:54 AM

Swapping the trannies is the easy part, everything else is a *****. It takes me 2 mins to put a tranny up myself. I can take out my 5spd out of my car in about an hour. All by myself.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by skeelo34

Swapping the trannies is the easy part, everything else is a *****. It takes me 2 mins to put a tranny up myself. I can take out my 5spd out of my car in about an hour. All by myself.
So, skeelo34, is it easier or harder than installing a SC from scratch?

IanS
Old 07-28-2002, 10:08 AM

So, skeelo34, is it easier or harder than installing a SC from scratch?

IanS

Hmm....I havent done an sc. From what I hear, 10 hours to do sc is probably much less than for doing a 5spd swap. Hey if i get a sc, ill help you swap your car if you help me install the sc. Its a ***** taking off the automatic though, its much bigger, and very messy once you pull it off the torque converter. Also when you first take it off, all the bolts are really stuck on there. My guess is if you have all the right tools and nothing goes wrong, you could do a conversion in 10 hrs. It would be hard and non stop though. Meccas car took over 20 hrs, alot b/c of clutch line problems and abs.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:17 AM

Hmm....I havent done an sc. From what I hear, 10 hours to do sc is probably much less than for doing a 5spd swap. Hey if i get a sc, ill help you swap your car if you help me install the sc. Its a ***** taking off the automatic though, its much bigger, and very messy once you pull it off the torque converter. Also when you first take it off, all the bolts are really stuck on there. My guess is if you have all the right tools and nothing goes wrong, you could do a conversion in 10 hrs. It would be hard and non stop though. Meccas car took over 20 hrs, alot b/c of clutch line problems and abs.
I think only 1 or 2 people have ever done a SC Install in 10 hours. For us regular humans, it takes about 24 man-hours.

IanS
Old 07-28-2002, 11:48 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Ian, I got mine from someplace in BFE Canada and they only charged my $50 for shipping, much cheaper than renting a truck and paying for all that gas I think... I emailed ya back... I'm put my pedals in on tueday and wednesday, and the tranny the week after that hopefully...

IanS
Old 07-28-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760
Ian, I got mine from someplace in BFE Canada and they only charged my $50 for shipping, much cheaper than renting a truck and paying for all that gas I think... I emailed ya back... I'm put my pedals in on tueday and wednesday, and the tranny the week after that hopefully...

Haha....I thought it would cost much more to ship. How much does the tranny weigh!??!

I really want to help. Hopefully you'll be working on it on a weekend so I can assist or at least watch.

IanS
Old 07-28-2002, 02:34 PM

Haha....I thought it would cost much more to ship. How much does the tranny weigh!??!

I really want to help. Hopefully you'll be working on it on a weekend so I can assist or at least watch.

IanS
110 lbs. About 50 bucks for shipping sounds right.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:20 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Its a ***** taking off the automatic though, its much bigger, and very messy once you pull it off the torque converter. Also when you first take it off, all the bolts are really stuck on there. My guess is if you have all the right tools and nothing goes wrong, you could do a conversion in 10 hrs. It would be hard and non stop though. Meccas car took over 20 hrs, alot b/c of clutch line problems and abs.
Taking off the transmission isn't that hard, you just gotta have muscles baby.

If someone had power tools, a lift garage, a couple friends, ect. he could do a 5-speed swap in about 10 hours probubly.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Taking off the transmission isn't that hard, you just gotta have muscles baby.

If someone had power tools, a lift garage, a couple friends, ect. he could do a 5-speed swap in about 10 hours probubly.
It's not the weight thats a problem (~140lbs?), its just the limited amount of workroom. With the things you mentioned, it could be done in 10 hrs.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:53 PM
Sports Button FTW

110 lbs. About 50 bucks for shipping sounds right.
yea it costed 100 bucks to ship the first trans i got...thats why i felt traveling instead of shipping would be kind of crazy...
Old 07-28-2002, 07:39 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Ya, hopefully after this week I will be back to a Sunday-Monday off, I know I can't get Saturday-Sunday... Damn I need a new job... The tranny weighs roughly 100lbs... and yes, I'm gonna need help...

IanS