4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WOT the best thing to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

WOT the best thing to do?

I recently installed a Place Racing CAI on my ’98 SE, and I noticed an incredible increase in sound when I’m at WOT. The car sounds normal (maybe a little louder than stock) if I don’t floor it, but it turns into a beast when I get on the gas. This happens in every gear, at all speeds.

My question is: Does this mean that the engine reacts differently depending on how far down the gas pedal is? Does it open the intake valves more or something? If so, is WOT necessarily the best thing to do at all times (aside from when it causes wheel spin of course)?
Old 07-28-2002, 04:01 PM

mabye im stupid or something but what does WOT mean i see in a lot but can figure out what it means.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WOT = Wide Open Throttle
Old 07-28-2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by MaxWolf
WOT = Wide Open Throttle
oh ok now it makes sence
Old 07-28-2002, 04:22 PM

Re: WOT the best thing to do?

Originally posted by sryth
I recently installed a Place Racing CAI on my ’98 SE, and I noticed an incredible increase in sound when I’m at WOT. The car sounds normal (maybe a little louder than stock) if I don’t floor it, but it turns into a beast when I get on the gas. This happens in every gear, at all speeds.

My question is: Does this mean that the engine reacts differently depending on how far down the gas pedal is? Does it open the intake valves more or something? If so, is WOT necessarily the best thing to do at all times (aside from when it causes wheel spin of course)?
As you press the gas more air and fuel are taken in by the engine. My 92 becomes a beast after 3k on the tach just stock, thanks to the variable intake. You can go wot all the time if you want, but since you're putting more strain on the engine and using up more fuel that way so why would you want to is the question?
Old 07-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: WOT the best thing to do?

WOT will make your tranny wear much faster and it's nonsense to WOT every time you take off. If a cop wanted to be a *****, he could pull you over for racing (its been done).

You are feeling an increase in power because the CAI is less restrictive than your stock airbox.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Racing with WOT

I guess what I'm asking is: Is WOT the quickest way to accelerate?

It doesn't seem to turn into a beast after a certain RPM range on my car. It all depends on how hard you're hitting the gas. I can gradually increase the gas and take the car to redline with no beast like growl. However, if I'm doing 20mph in 2nd gear (~2krpm), and I nail the gas, my car starts to growl. Is accelerating in this manner faster than gradually increasing the gas?

Is WOT always the best way to race? Are there situations where you're causing too much fuel/air to get pulled into the cylinder, and it would be better (performance wise) to ease back on the gas?
Old 07-28-2002, 06:50 PM

the more you press it the faster you will accelerate.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:09 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Racing with WOT

Is WOT always the best way to race? Are there situations where you're causing too much fuel/air to get pulled into the cylinder, and it would be better (performance wise) to ease back on the gas?

WOT will give you the best acceleration.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think in one case its been determined that its not good to completely floor it just almost all the way, then floor it. The gas gets too far ahead of the air, or something like that.