4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just Put Nightrider's Intake In...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 09:59 PM

how about franken?
Old 07-28-2002, 10:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: dyno

Originally posted by Mishmosh

I do have real world experience. I have a rpm shiftlight and a variable intake actuator. Both activate a good 300-400 rpm AFTER what they were set for -- but this according to the tach. The tach is just plain over reading when going WOT. When you slowly up the tach, it is accurate but not when you jump on it. And yes, I have seen my tach well into the redline before the fuel cut but again, the tach is off. And no, the momentum of a moving car will not increase rpm when the fuel cut takes hold. Again, we are not talking 100 or even 200 rpm. We are talking a whopping 500rpm over the rev limit. Let's just say that if our cars kept surging 500rpm if we suddenly let off the throttle, that would be grossly unsafe. The fuel cut is much more severe than letting off the pedal.
I have had my tach Calibrated off of the Dyno reading. The Dyno was showing my car at 2k so was my needle, it was at 6400 my needle was at 6300.

Your theory of it being off only at WOT has as many wholes as my theory of fuel pressure residual being the cause of his 7k apex on the tach. Steve (toolrocks) can attest to my car running for almost a minute with the fuel pump fuse disconnected. So my car ran for a good 30-45 seconds at idle on fuel pressure and residual alone. It is very feasable to see that your engine will continue to run for a split second after the cut off engages. It doesn't cut the pulse to the injectors or to the plug, so it will continue to cycle the fuel till there is no longer any to consume.

You have the momentum thing all backwards.

Would you agree that your engine only turning a flywheel will allow your car to rev faster than your car accelerating?

Then why is it hard to see that a car in neutral reving from idle straight to the cutoff will not allow the car to have that higher apex of RPM reading on the tach?

I'm not sure about the 7k that was reported, but I can definetly see a 6700-6800 RPM bounce happening.

As I said before I don't think that he can run his car in these RPMs.

Your statement about the surging and letting your foot off the gas is completely different than WOT till the Fuel cut of hitting, because the TB is STILL WIDE OPEN. You take your foot off the pedal the TB shuts off the air supply.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:15 AM

I'm going to put some input in this. I can't explain why his car jumped to 7k before the fuel cut was engaged. I can't explain why mine does it too. Papasmurf's car does not do this. His seems to stop right at 6700 every time. Maybe its a 5-speed and auto thing. I don't know. I do know that it happened. No one is trying to use it in anyway to sell a product. It's just something that he noticed that happened. It doesn't offer any perfomance benefit except that you can squeeze 2 more mph out of third gear and your top speed is higher when you get there. A basic principle is that with smoother airflow, the engine revs easier.

Not all hybrids are the same. I haven't seen one hybrid setup that has been able to match the performance and sound of our intake. Like what was said before, being a hybrid setup, you are going to get the same performance as all the other setups. The difference in our intake is beyond the 1/4 mile. Papasmurf and I has built two of the fastest highway drivers so far on the .Org and I don't think anyone can contest that. None of our intakes have been dyno tested yet, but instead have been flow tested for maximum efficiency. We've been working on this item for over a year and a half. We had this idea up and running for over two years now. Its been a long time, but we didn't want to release a product that didn't work, or only worked so-so. We wanted to dominate the industry. I've been a auto enthusiast since I was born. I've worked on cars all my life. I decided that I wanted to get into automotive design as a profession. This is something that I do as a hobby. When Bruce and I made this intake we could've kept it to ourselves, but decided to put something into the Maxima Community. After many requests by other .Org members, we started Fast Lane Performance. Now we offer probably the best intake system for your Maxima. We will be coming out with other products as well within the up coming years. Be on the lookout!
Old 07-29-2002, 03:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Well put mishmosh. Do you have your VI yet?
Yeah. Have had it in since the beginning of the month. I already posted a couple times about it! Where have you been?! Anyways, you're going to like it...
Old 07-29-2002, 03:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: dyno

Originally posted by SLC I30t
I have had my tach Calibrated off of the Dyno reading. The Dyno was showing my car at 2k so was my needle, it was at 6400 my needle was at 6300.
All I can say is that there is a lot of conjecture flying about by you, me and our mamas. I still would like to see dyno evidence of any non-ECU upgraded car going past 6500rpm and approaching even 6800rpm, let's say. Forget neutral reving, downshifting at high speed, etc. We are just talking pulls by throttle with the dyno machine accurately capturing rpms. I don't know what tach your running, or what you mean when you say you had yours calibrated, but many have noted that ours tachs are very inaccurate.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: dyno

Originally posted by Mishmosh

All I can say is that there is a lot of conjecture flying about by you, me and our mamas. I still would like to see dyno evidence of any non-ECU upgraded car going past 6500rpm and approaching even 6800rpm, let's say. Forget neutral reving, downshifting at high speed, etc. We are just talking pulls by throttle with the dyno machine accurately capturing rpms. I don't know what tach your running, or what you mean when you say you had yours calibrated, but many have noted that ours tachs are very inaccurate.
I agree, in the big picture it doesn't matter.

I don't see how you can forget about Neutral reving when thats the point at hand. The downshifting was a rebutal to someones statement that your needle CAN NOT go about 6500. By calibration I mean that I when I took my car to have a Dyno done, they have your car hooked up to the dynometer and it reads your RPMS off of the electrical pulses going to your plug. I had the cover off of my bezel when I went to adjust my MPH and Tach. When we started out it was 200rpms off. When we were done it was near perfect to the digital RPM reading to the Dynometer. That is how I calibrated/adjusted it. People note that their guages are off but don't do anything to correct it. So if yours is VERY inaccurate do something about it other than comment on how inaccurate it is.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

where can I get this

I'm a newbie and I was seeing all this stuff about frankencar intakes and what not. Your intake sounds good. I was wondering if you could send me some order info or send me the plans. I am very interested in this. Thanks nightrider, Later
Old 08-05-2002, 08:39 PM

ok, I have a question
is this thing better than my Place Racing CAI?
and I want to see some pics of these things on the car.
is this the one with MAF right behind the filter?
If this intake can give me more power than the PR CAI, I'm up for buying this intake.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:31 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

how can i get one of these puppies, and how much?
Old 08-07-2002, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by dmBK
how can i get one of these puppies, and how much?
Email Knightrider or Papasmurf. I think they are 139 a piece.

RL
Old 08-07-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: where can I get this

Originally posted by slop00
I'm a newbie and I was seeing all this stuff about frankencar intakes and what not. Your intake sounds good. I was wondering if you could send me some order info or send me the plans. I am very interested in this. Thanks nightrider, Later
Please send me an email or IM.

Sexima: Just come up to the meet on Friday and see it for yourself. I'll be there.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:16 PM

how much did it all cost?
Old 08-07-2002, 04:09 PM

Re: Re: where can I get this

Originally posted by NightRider

Please send me an email or IM.

Sexima: Just come up to the meet on Friday and see it for yourself. I'll be there.
Meet on Friday? DO you mean Thursday?
Old 08-07-2002, 11:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: where can I get this

Originally posted by Toolrocks

Meet on Friday? DO you mean Thursday?
Okay, Thursday. I'll be there! Papasmurf will be there too.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:39 AM

i want one!