4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about my ACT clutch that just arrived

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 08:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Question about my ACT clutch that just arrived

Everything looks good on it, but i just had a question on the pressure plate. The tips of the spikey things in the center seem to be grayish and sort of burnt looking compared to the rest of themselves which are all black, and in the pictures the black spikes are all black. Does this mean its used, or is that how the pressure plates come. thanks.(its the street disc and heavy duty pressure plate setup)
Old 07-26-2002, 10:32 PM

Re: Question about my ACT clutch that just arrived

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
Everything looks good on it, but i just had a question on the pressure plate. The tips of the spikey things in the center seem to be grayish and sort of burnt looking compared to the rest of themselves which are all black, and in the pictures the black spikes are all black. Does this mean its used, or is that how the pressure plates come. thanks.(its the street disc and heavy duty pressure plate setup)
mine came the same way... it's perfectly normal. maybe act tests them or something first?
Old 07-27-2002, 05:09 AM

thanks, just wanted to make sure since i drove 6 hours from school to get home and install this thing, ill let everyone know how it is after my car passes inspection, well i guess IF it passes inspection.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:04 AM

thanks, just wanted to make sure since i drove 6 hours from school to get home and install this thing, ill let everyone know how it is after my car passes inspection, well i guess IF it passes inspection.
Are you installing it yourself? You should, it's very easy. Just make sure that you have two people there to help you put the tranny back in. It's kind of akward to get back in
Old 07-27-2002, 10:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JdawgX

Are you installing it yourself? You should, it's very easy. Just make sure that you have two people there to help you put the tranny back in. It's kind of akward to get back in

Wuss....I put it in and took it out myself probably 5 times now.

Old 07-27-2002, 11:01 AM

Re: Question about my ACT clutch that just arrived

That's a type of burning they do to strengthen the ends, because I saw that also when I purchased my street set from ACT and I called them as that's what the tech said..
Old 07-27-2002, 09:14 PM

Re: Re: Question about my ACT clutch that just arrived

Originally posted by Ghost face Max

That's a type of burning they do to strengthen the ends, because I saw that also when I purchased my street set from ACT and I called them as that's what the tech said..

i duno about easy, u probably know shortcuts, but we had to rip apart so much $hit and ive never done anything like that and my friend made me and this kid put it all together to teach us, so it took about 6-7 hours. It was a great learning experience, it just was tedious remembering where all the bolts went, so me and someone could probably do it in about 4-5 hours i think, i enjoyed it, and man this clutch is nice, too bad i gotta wait out the break in process.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Ramius83

I thought ACT took used stock pressure plates and "rebuilt" them to their specs....

Old 07-27-2002, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83
I thought ACT took used stock pressure plates and "rebuilt" them to their specs....
Interesting comment, anyone know?
Old 07-28-2002, 09:14 AM

Interesting comment, anyone know?

I brought my ACT clutch set from Nipponpower.com, once I saw that thoughs pressure fingers had that burn pattern on them, I call him back to ask was this a used pressure plate? He said nothing that comes from Act is re-use but brand new, so then he insisted that I call ACT to hear that directly from them. So I called and I can't remember the techs name I talked to, but he said everything that comes from them are brand new nothing is re-used. That's what I was told....
Old 07-28-2002, 09:19 AM

Which ACT clutch did you get? Was it the single disc, or the six-puck?

I just ordered the six-puck for mine and I wanted to see how people liked it so far.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Ramius83
everything is new. You don't 'rebuild' new components, you modify them.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the plates are not used when you remove the stock one from your car take a quick look at both of them and youll see!!