4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oh no I sprung a leak(s)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 11:29 AM

Oh no I sprung a leak(s)!!!

I put my new diamond clear corners on (much better ), changed my spark plugs and attempted to change my fuel filter which I never did since I couldn't even unscrew the lines (yes I did take it out of the bracket and try but the screws were not moving. I then sat in my car with the air on while I was detailing the interior. I come out 15 minutes later and notice there a huge puddle under the car!! It was dripping from 2 places, one I think was water from the a/c being on but the other was oil!! Coming from just inside the passenger side front tire. The oil filter had some oil on it but it didn't seem like it was coming from there. I have an appointment for Monday to take her in, what should I look for on the estimate???
Old 07-27-2002, 12:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Oh no I sprung a leak(s)!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JR_Anders

Get yourself 2 feet of 3/8 in ID high pressure fuel hose and some good clamps. I would then relieve fuel pressure by leaving gas cap off over night. Tomorrow morning when everything is cool replace the fuel filter using this procedure. Follow top fuel filter line to where it attaches to engine, loosen the clamp and slide it back and slice the hose (utility knife) end that is on the metal pipe. You should be able to peel the upper hose off the metal pipe. Cut the bottom hose on the fuel filter as close as you can to the fuel filter using diaginal cutters. There is usually plenty of hose on the bottom of the fuel so cutting a small amount off shouldn't hurt anything. You'll now have the fuel filter in your hand. Attach a piece of hose the same length as the old upper hose to the top of new filter with a new clamp. Put new clamp on bottom gas filter hose and slide bottom of filter into this hose. Put gas filter in retaining clamp and attach upper gas hose to metal pipe you took it off of. Tighten all clamps, put gas cap back on and start engine to check for leaks. No leaks, throw old gas filter as far as you can then stomp on it. If this takes you more 30 minutes auto mechanics is not your forte
For the oil leak I would very carefully check the oil filter, oil prssure sender (just on back of engine by oil filter look for wires), and oil drain plug. If one of these is not your problem then I would consider taking it to dealer. You know they'll flat rate you on time and charge $50 to $60 per flat rate hour plus retail on parts.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-27-2002, 12:33 PM

Do you think I can keep driving till monday if I keep a quart or 2 of oil on me just in case?
Old 07-27-2002, 01:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JR_Anders
Do you think I can keep driving till monday if I keep a quart or 2 of oil on me just in case?
Probably, I small oil leak makes a big mess. Just keep a couple of quarts with you and keep your eye on the oil level via dipstick.
Be well!!!!