4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Did something bad just happen to my car??? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 01:10 PM
ivelweyz

Did something bad just happen to my car??? HELP!!!

Ok so I just finished washing and polishing my car and decide to go cruise around. I always do that the car is so shiny! Anyway I turn into the same side street I always do,there is a whole on the left side of the street but it's covered by a huge piece of metal(the city does that) and I always go around that metal piece. Today some guys in a truck were unloading stuff of the truck and I had to go over the metal piece. So I slow down and go over the metal and VOOOOMMM!!! No that's not me speeding off it's the sound of the car right after I crossed the hole. I was like what the **** was that and I realized it was my car. As soon as I even tap the gas lightly VVOOOOOMMM. It sound as if though I have custom exhaust which is cool but I'm scared. Maybe something around the airbox loosened or something, cause when I went over the metal sheet there was light shaking. Someone help or something, PLEASE!!!

96 MAX SE AUTO

Old 07-30-2002, 01:32 PM

Re: Did something bad just happen to my car??? HELP!!!

Originally posted by ivelweyz
Ok so I just finished washing and polishing my car and decide to go cruise around. I always do that the car is so shiny! Anyway I turn into the same side street I always do,there is a whole on the left side of the street but it's covered by a huge piece of metal(the city does that) and I always go around that metal piece. Today some guys in a truck were unloading stuff of the truck and I had to go over the metal piece. So I slow down and go over the metal and VOOOOMMM!!! No that's not me speeding off it's the sound of the car right after I crossed the hole. I was like what the **** was that and I realized it was my car. As soon as I even tap the gas lightly VVOOOOOMMM. It sound as if though I have custom exhaust which is cool but I'm scared. Maybe something around the airbox loosened or something, cause when I went over the metal sheet there was light shaking. Someone help or something, PLEASE!!!

96 MAX SE AUTO
Get out of your car, open your hood, and rev the throttle (little metal lever attached to the throttle body). Is the sound coming from your intake or under the car? Maybe something loosened on your exhaust. Probably just a coincidence too.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:53 PM
ivelweyz

Is the throttle body at the top right side of the engine bay when looking at it from front of the car?

Old 07-30-2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by ivelweyz
Is the throttle body at the top right side of the engine bay when looking at it from front of the car?
Its where the intake leads to after the accordion shaped rubber piping. There should be a lever with a cable coming off it. If you rotate it, it should rev the engine, then you can really hear where the sound is coming from.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:49 PM
mb1

here this is what he's talking about:

Old 07-30-2002, 03:21 PM
ivelweyz

My dad took a look at it and said it's the exhaust! What would it cost me to get a new exhaust OEM or aftermarket? what would the installation costs be and the parts costs?

Old 07-30-2002, 03:30 PM

new y pipe - 300 bucks........... new muffler - 70 bucks........new b pipe - 100 bucks...........dont go back to OEM, it will only cost more, unless you buy used off course
Old 07-30-2002, 03:32 PM

What on the exhaust? Did you puncture a hole in the flex pipe? Rusted pipes? loose bolts? Find out exactly what it is, and you'll save yourself alot of hassle and money.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:39 PM
living out of a maxima...

Don't go OEM!

Originally posted by AdMax98
What on the exhaust? Did you puncture a hole in the flex pipe? Rusted pipes? loose bolts? Find out exactly what it is, and you'll save yourself alot of hassle and money.
Take this fine opportunity to replace your OEM exhaust with something that breathes a little easier...
Old 07-30-2002, 03:46 PM
ivelweyz

I do see that the bottom of the muffler is rusted and flaking off. Tomorrow I'll be out getting prices from some shops and what exactly is wrong with it. I need StainlessSteel components cause Chicago weather is a *****. This is a pretty good opportunity to get a whole new exhaust setup...

Old 07-30-2002, 04:36 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

make sure it's the whole exhaust tho. I had that problem with an old car i once owned. I took it to a shop where the guy told me i'd need a new muffler, pipes, the whole nine yards. When i actually got under there and looked at it, it turned out to be just one stupid gasket.
cost of new wehaust = $250
cost of gasket = $1.95
Old 07-30-2002, 07:08 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by fearthegecko
make sure it's the whole exhaust tho. I had that problem with an old car i once owned. I took it to a shop where the guy told me i'd need a new muffler, pipes, the whole nine yards. When i actually got under there and looked at it, it turned out to be just one stupid gasket.
cost of new wehaust = $250
cost of gasket = $1.95
Well there's a whole in the bottom of the muffler, it was rusted through. It's about 1/2inch in diameter, I might as well drive with it for a month or so and just save up for a new system...

Old 07-30-2002, 08:14 PM

It's probably been like that for awhile. Going over the metal piece in the road just amplified it. The sound reflection off of the metal maybe.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ooohhhh.... ok, here is what I would get if i were you....

WSP aluminized y-pipe
Car-Sound Cat
Apexi WS Catback

that will give you 10-25HP to the wheels and sound fantastic and not look ricey
Old 07-30-2002, 09:34 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by Thaxxx
It's probably been like that for awhile. Going over the metal piece in the road just amplified it. The sound reflection off of the metal maybe.
Nope. It's been so quiet since I got it that I sometimes had to check whether the car was even on. The sound is there all the time now. When I'm on the gas lightly you can hear it, when I'm WOT or close to it the engine sounds over the exhaust problem...