4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Conversation with a Camry 5spd Guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 04:51 PM

i stopped readin after the first page but i didn't know that camrys were that fast till like 3 days ago when i saw the dude your talking about post i dont doubt he can do those times now i know not to mess with any camerys

does trd have alot of junk for you peoples????
Old 12-13-2000, 05:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

gLoK, I've been to the NIRA show at Moroso with my Max a couple of times and have gone with friends who race Integras and such. I've never raced the Max though, scared of breaking something, especially with the slushbox (I know, I'm paranoid...).

BTW, Jeff K, Imports/compacts are huge where I'm from in Florida (southern Palm Beach), just most of them are posing riceboys. There's lots of events at Moroso (the NIRA race/show) and even on city streets (Ft. Lauderdale - Hot Import Nights).
Old 12-13-2000, 05:07 PM

Re: Best 60' was 2.16

Originally posted by Jeff K
That was on slicks, only used them at four events. Had alot of practice on my 17" Nitto 450(they suck but were cheap)...best of those was a 2.20. All-season 15" Dunlop sp4000s best 60' was 2.22. Play with the tires pressure but don't go below 22psi on street tires because I hear the sidewalls won't handle it.
Nice times Jeff! Are you planning on getting the S/C? Or are you trying for 13's NA?

-Tiem
Old 12-13-2000, 05:55 PM
Kato

Re: Re: Best 60' was 2.16

Originally posted by tsong

Nice times Jeff! Are you planning on getting the S/C? Or are you trying for 13's NA?

-Tiem [/I]
He actually sold MegaMax and purchased a new 2001 AE Max which I don't think is very modded as of now. We're all waiting for him to slap on some power mods and see what he can do with MegaMaxII!

Old 12-13-2000, 09:03 PM
Maximus04

Maxima vs Camry

Hey guys, not to sound dumb, but like what accually is the different between a '97 Maxima SE and a Camry?? thx guys.

Old 12-14-2000, 06:51 AM

Re: Best 60' was 2.16

That was on slicks, only used them at four events. Had alot of practice on my 17" Nitto 450(they suck but were cheap)...best of those was a 2.20. All-season 15" Dunlop sp4000s best 60' was 2.22. Play with the tires pressure but don't go below 22psi on street tires because I hear the sidewalls won't handle it.

I was the same way back in '98 up here at Englishtown, NJ. I would go to track on a Wednesday night with all the
60s and 70s cars and be the only import. It was tough and then the sport took off. Now on a wednesday night after 8 o'clock it's all imports with very little american iron.

Just wait because it's coming. Import racing is getting bigger it will just take alittle time to get to Florida.

Cool, My best 60 is a 2.158 on the OEM tires that came on the car. I havent dealt with slicks yet. But in 2001 i might go that route with the supercharger.

The import scene is real big in florida its just that no one really runs maximas or camrys. They are rare, at least in my experience.

At moroso on test n tune nights there is a lot of imports and a mix of domestics. Its pretty varied.
Old 12-14-2000, 07:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JimW
Like the man says, gotta give credit where it's due. 14.9 in any 4dr sedan is good.

How did you run it? What was your tire pressure? Staging and launching technques? Shift points. Fill us in.
Hell yeah it is.

My tires were the OEM bridgestones that came on the car ( i regularly have my 17s on but i switch to stocks when i race and havent got any good sticky tires yet ) with about 25 psi.
When i stage i barely break the second light. This gives you a little momentum before you cross the lights.I launch at 4,000 rpms, shift at redline and dont power shift i just dont let the RPMS get below 4,000 which i found is the best for my car. Since our cars are so heavy i found that a little tire slip gives us the best 60 foot time. You gotta get your wheels moving to gain momentum. Then its on.
Old 12-14-2000, 10:12 AM

People lets be sensible...

The Camry is a good car and reliable..

Same hp as max .. same weight .. ???
So why on earth wouldn't it be just as fast.. ???
if the tranny has good gearing it should be just as fast...

gLok .. i like your car... fast and tasteful... still i bought a maxima cuz i like the way it looks.. thas it..

So.. Stop dissin camry's .. dammit.. do i believe his camry ran 14.999 with intake .. sure why not ? ..
gLok what were your other times.. weren't they 15.1, 15.2 ..
doug ran 15.1 with just CAI ... and he's only a novice at drag racing.. with practice he'll pull 15.0 or even 14.999

Jeff K ran a 14.3 with CAI, ypipe, exhaust and JWT ECU .. and a few more things.. but that was with slicks... also ...don't forget Jeff K is one of the top drag racing people on this board... very few if any can pull number at the track like he does.. (i know Jeff is lovin this )

Although i wouldn't mind seeing a friendly meet at the track between the camry boys and the maxima guys.. would be fun and intersting..
gLok you know anyone in northen NJ with a camry like yours.. ?

Ant

Old 12-15-2000, 07:32 AM

Re: People lets be sensible...

>gLok .. i like your car... fast and tasteful... still i >bought a maxima cuz i like the way it looks.. thas it..

Thanks. Everyones got their thing thats all im sayin. If we all had the same cars what fun would that be?

>So.. Stop dissin camry's .. dammit.. do i believe his camry >ran 14.999 with intake .. sure why not ? ..
>gLok what were your other times.. weren't they 15.1, >15.2 ..
>doug ran 15.1 with just CAI ... and he's only a novice at >drag racing.. with practice he'll pull 15.0 or even 14.999

I was running a lot of 15.01, 15.04 and a 15.10. BTW this was my 3rd time at the track actually drag racing and i ran my 14 on my 20th or so run ever. So basically im a novice too, at least in the actual participation part. My family has been into racing since before i was born.

>Although i wouldn't mind seeing a friendly meet at the >track between the camry boys and the maxima guys.. would >be fun and intersting..
>gLok you know anyone in northen NJ with a camry like >yours.. ?

Me too since the cars are so equal with different stages of tune it would be interesting. Like a chevy vs. ford kinda thing but import sedan style Nissan vs Toyota, get all the models involved (300zx,supra,240sx,ae86,trucks even) You know nowadays no one is really doing anything like that for Nissan and Toyota, in the import world its all honda vs mitsubishi getting the most love. It would be fun, no beef just a day of racing and show. Since we both have supercharged brethren they could be matched up too. Although we dont really have a 12 second car like you guys do, yet ( or at least that i know of ). Thats my goal but it wont be until this summer that im even close ( I have a lot of parts that arent even in my car ).

As far as new jersey goes i dont know anyone up there, im in south florida.
Old 12-15-2000, 11:42 AM

hey

isn't you bbs a nationwide BBS ..

so there's gotta be someone from new jersey that would go to the track with us max guys..
or wait i'll just go there myself and post.

Ant
Old 12-17-2000, 12:54 PM

Re: Their are more stats showing the Max being faster, end of debate

TJ... I have the utmost respect for Maximas, but with all due respect to you and your driving skills, I think your Camry friend just sucks. Tsong is one of the best drivers period. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that not all cars are made equal within the same production year. Tsong's 98 Camry was "blessed." For example, you cannot tell me that two idential 2000 Maximas will be neck and neck given same R/T and driver skill.

So there you have it, Tsong would never lie and peopple who know him know him to be a very knowledgeable person and an amazing driver. He got a good car to go with that. Result: 14.9 stock.

Originally posted by TJ
Yes, time slips very, BUT I HAVE RACED MY FRIENDS 5SPD CAMRY, AND NOT ONE SINGLE TIME HAS THE GUY PULLED AHEAD OF ME. The only time he gives me more of a challenge, is on the highway. Side by side, when we both down shift, I always seem to pull away still. I've also raced a Solara before, same thing, 1st gear 2nd gear see ya. Now, if I had those big 17 inch wheels on my Max, you Camry guy's might have a fighting chance, because those big rims slow you down alot. That time slip above, I'll believe it, but it's not a stock Camry.

I looked at several car magazines, and out of all of them, the Max got the best 1/4 mile run at 15.2, and the Camry 5spd got a 15.5. The worst time I saw for the Max was a 15.7. The 5spd Camry's worst time was a 15.9. Cheers!
Old 12-17-2000, 03:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

TJ you are a moron

TJ,

Before I continue, let me introduce myself since I haven't been here in a while and all the newbies like you probably don't know me. I am one of the biggest maximaholics out there, as I first started Maxima.org, and I have since sold my Max and given responsibility of this site to Jamie.

...but I can tell you now you HAVE to respect Tiem's car. He did run that 14.9 bone stock, I saw the slip and many of my friends winessed the run. I raced his stock Camry in my Y-pipe and Intake Maxima SE 5sp from a freeway roll-on, and he beat me. I also saw him dyno 173hp stock on the same day that I dyno'd 172hp with an intake and y-pipe.

Tiem is a stand-up guy and a great friend of mine, and the only bull$hit that is flying around is coming from you, not him.

Regards,
Andi

P.S. this curseword censorship is absolutely gay. I'm embarrassed that a site I started does this $#!T.

Originally posted by TJ
This Guy Tsong, came on the forum, talkin about how his Camry stock, ran a 14.9. My friend has a 5spd Camry, and I have driven and raced his Camry many times, and can tell you it's not as fast as my 96MaxSE 5sp. So, I E-mailed Tsong and told him his run was ********. C&D, had the best 1/4 mile run on his car at 15.5. Some how Tsong's MAGIC Camry managed a 14.9 with no mods, Wow! To prove this guy is wack, look at what he wrote me back on the next paragraph. He actually thinks his Camry is lighter than a Maxima. Huh?

Maybe your friend hasn't had a lot of drag racing experience. Our cars
aren't easy to launch. Plus, the CE (the one I have) has a curb weight of
3075 pounds; I even weighed it at the track, and it showed 3060. So my car
is lighter than any Maxima.

Whereas you guys are sold on Maxima's marketing gimmicks ("4DSC", "Cars like
it = 0", etc), I'm out there beating your "sports sedan". And if you need
references, I'll provide them

Tsong has not provided plenty of bull **** references so far.
[Edited by Andi on 12-17-2000 at 05:14 PM]
Old 12-17-2000, 03:32 PM

Re: TJ you are a moron

Andi... whoa dude! That's a sweet Supra!!! Is that your ride now?!

Originally posted by Andi
TJ,

Before I continue, let me introduce myself since I haven't been here in a while and all the newbies like you probably don't know me. I am one of the biggest maximaholics out there, as I first started Maxima.org, and I have since sold my Max and given responsibility of this site to Jamie.

...but I can tell you now you HAVE to respect Tiem's car. He did run that 14.9 bone stock, I saw the slip and many of my friends winessed the run. I raced his stock Camry in my Y-pipe and Intake Maxima SE 5sp from a freeway roll-on, and he beat me. I also saw him dyno 173hp stock on the same day that I dyno'd 172hp with an intake and y-pipe.

Tiem is a stand-up guy and a great friend of mine, and the only bull$hit that is flying around is coming from you, not him.

Regards,
Andi

P.S. this curseword censorship is absolutely gay. I'm embarrassed that a site I started does this $#!T.

Originally posted by TJ
This Guy Tsong, came on the forum, talkin about how his Camry stock, ran a 14.9. My friend has a 5spd Camry, and I have driven and raced his Camry many times, and can tell you it's not as fast as my 96MaxSE 5sp. So, I E-mailed Tsong and told him his run was ********. C&D, had the best 1/4 mile run on his car at 15.5. Some how Tsong's MAGIC Camry managed a 14.9 with no mods, Wow! To prove this guy is wack, look at what he wrote me back on the next paragraph. He actually thinks his Camry is lighter than a Maxima. Huh?

Old 12-17-2000, 03:56 PM

Re: TJ you are a moron

BTW you will not recognize my name either cuz I'm from the camryman.org board. Let me just say that you have done an amazing job with this board. Its great to see our imports get some support on here... not just Mustang and Civic sites all over the place!

Mod on bro!

TJ,

Regards,
Andi

Originally posted by TJ

Old 12-18-2000, 05:40 AM
OG :)

man i am looking to get a test ride hehe this week from tiem
Old 12-18-2000, 11:37 AM
TJ

Hey Andi, thanks for the insults!

Andi, If I'm such a moron, and Tiem is such a stand up honest guy, than why does he still believe his car weighs less than a Maxima 5spd? I even gave Tiem the web site showing the Maxima 5spd's weight, and your friend still would not except it. Technically, you should not have lost to a Camry. You have a tad bit more torque, your car weighs a little less, and you have a better trans(taller gears). Andi, he simply out drove you! Like I said, my friend has the exact same Camry as Tiem,(except his is white), and my Maxima always slowly pulls away from him. The weight issue your pal stands behind is what really pisses me off. That's the main reason I question his honesty on his time slips.
Old 12-18-2000, 11:43 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Hey Andi, thanks for the insults!

Who give a flying ****? So you friend's cam is not as fast as Tiem's cam. Maybe it's the driver? Maybe it's manufacturing tolerances?? Maybe it's god playing a evil trick on you?? When it comes right down to it, it's you and the other guy racing, PERIOD. What does someone else's car does ****ing 3000 miles away have to do with you? You are never gonna race this guy right? Do you have money on this or something??? Let it die and stop trying to rekindle this flame thread. thanks

Originally posted by TJ
Andi, If I'm such a moron, and Tiem is such a stand up honest guy, than why does he still believe his car weighs less than a Maxima 5spd? I even gave Tiem the web site showing the Maxima 5spd's weight, and your friend still would not except it. Technically, you should not have lost to a Camry. You have a tad bit more torque, your car weighs a little less, and you have a better trans(taller gears). Andi, he simply out drove you! Like I said, my friend has the exact same Camry as Tiem,(except his is white), and my Maxima always slowly pulls away from him. The weight issue your pal stands behind is what really pisses me off. That's the main reason I question his honesty on his time slips.
Old 12-18-2000, 11:58 AM

Why lie when the truth is so much better?

Also, my car weighed in at Ennis at 3060 pounds; brochure says 3075. Nissan's website lists the lightest Maxima at 3186 pounds, and that's not the SE.
And that's on page 2 of this thread.

There's fellow camryman.org members, along with a SUPRA owner, who confirm that I'm telling the truth.

Feel free to keep calling me a liar and slander me with your false accusations. Really makes you look good. Not to mention that it's getting old.

-Tiem
Old 12-18-2000, 12:58 PM
TJ

Tell the truth about our cars weight

You lost credibility on your time slips when you proclaimed your Camry was lighter than a Maxima. THAT IS NOT TRUE TIEM, AND YOU KNOW IT!

As much as you stick your nose in this forum, I'm suprised you have not read other post's of other Maxima owners weighing in at 3010 pounds and under. The weight you are stuck on believing, is an automatic Maxima.

I have read many intresting claims from other car buffs on this forum, and I have never E-mailed any of them. The main reason I'm giving you such a hard time, is because of the weight issue, and my personal expierience racing my friends 5spd Camry. I don't believe the Maxima is the greatest car on earth. I just don't believe your statements match my own expieriences racing and driving my friends car.

Old 12-19-2000, 09:33 PM
Miladey

I agree with TJ

First of all the Max is ligheter, the 1995 SE 5-spd weighs 3010 lbs vs 3075 of camry CE V6 5-spd, dont believe it go to
http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Specific...axima/1995.asp

then go to specification and warranties.

The Maxima's Engine is mostly what makes it go fast. The engine is made of friction reducing metals and the use of lightweight material. it has microfinished crankshafts and camshafts and is molybdenum-coated. It holds a aluminom alloy engine block and cylinder walls and has some of the lightest pistons in the world, which promotes excellent throtle response. All this contribute to having a free reving engine, meaning it gets to the desired RPM very fast, which in turn makes the car go faster.

The Max is on a whole different scale, when did the new camry get import car of the year?
when was the camry's engine named one of the 10 best engines is america 5 years straight?
NEVER.
Straight from Warld's auto world " the engine revs like a race car powerplant, yet it soothes like a luxury car. An intriguing blend of power and finesse". " One of the most exhilarating and responsive 6-cylinder engines available anywhere, at any price."

The bottom line it Maxima is faster, now I can't disapprove the 14.9,i was not there maybe this guy's camry is wierd in someway i dont know, all I know is no car magazine has ever gotten a number for a camry faster than a maxima, and these guys are professionals, they do the accelertion test about a dozen times, and i'l take their words for it. they don't mess with the car, like lowering the tire pressure or taking out the filter, i'm not saying he did any of that, they just test them as they come.
Dont get me wrong camry is a great car, my mom has a 1985 camry still runs great, but they dont beat maximas.
All i have to say about Andy going around calling people morons without knowing the fact and about the weight and making a preformed judgments , that's just a shame, for a guy who supposedly made this webpage.
I didnt mean to offend anybody and didnt mean to give a technical data about the engine, just the facts.
Merry Christmass Everybody and a happy new year.

Old 12-19-2000, 09:57 PM

Re: I agree with TJ

Miladey,

1) You're missing the point - TJ called Tiem a liar and called his timeslip bull$hit. That is reckless libel as TJ had no idea whether my good friend Tiem had run those times or not. (in fact, he did, as witnessed by many of my good friends in the Austin Supra club).

2) You're preaching to the choir about the Maxima. Like I said, I wrote the MaxFAQs, admininistered the maxima mailing list for a while, ran the Maxima BBS for a year, and even started this site (MAXIMA.ORG) two years ago. Probably before you even owned a max, I was its biggest proponent. I have heard all that you're saying, and although it's true what you say about the Maxima's engine, you miss the point that Toyota's V6 in the Camry makes more power stock vs. stock. It puts down 172hp at the wheels stock, the VQ30DE through a 6sp puts down 160. That's 7.5% more power. For virtually the same weight (even TJ's alleged weight difference is only 2% and won't even come close to making up for the 7.5% power difference).

Regards,
Andi

[Edited by Andi on 12-20-2000 at 12:00 AM]
Old 12-19-2000, 10:25 PM
Miladey

Andy,
let me congratulate you on your supra. very nice
Horsepower is an important issue in acceleraion, but the fact that maxima's engine revs so much faster makes up for lack in horsepower and more, all these acceleration tests have been done by car magazines, not one has rated camry faster, the number your friend got is great, but that is not the case for all camrys, its not like i am gone race him but what i am saying is, in general maxima's are faster and im sticking to it, by the way i bought my maxima in 95

Old 12-19-2000, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Miladey
[I]Andy,
let me congratulate you on your supra. very nice
[/b]

Thanks!

Horsepower is an important issue in acceleraion, but the
fact that maxima's engine revs so much faster makes up for lack in horsepower and more, all these acceleration tests

I'm sorry but that, my friend, is BS. A freer revving engine (which is most affected by flywheel weight) will show up on an inertial dyno as more available power at the wheels. That is why Jim Files gained 5 (or was it 7?) dyno-measured wheel horsepower from his Stillen lightened flywheel on his 95 SE at Stillen Maxima Day '98.

HP, my friend, is the name of the game. Horsepower to weight is *IT* until you get to the upper third or so of your speed capability.. after that hp to drag starts to take over. But it's always about horsepower.

Here's an interesting link you might find useful:

http://www.boostaholic.com/hptq.html

BTW have you ever driven a Camry CE V6 5sp? It revs quick as hell. The VQ is a great engine but there's nothing magical about it that makes it better than Toyota's 3.0V6 in the Camry. The fact of the matter is, the Camry's engine is torquier, revs just as quickly, and makes more hp (12hp more at the wheels bone stock).

Again, let me reiterate, this post had nothing to do whether in general a Camry is as fast or as special or as plush as a Maxima. It was about TJ calling my good friend tiem a Liar, for which Tiem deserves an apology. Not a step back with BS about whom said what about weight.

Regards,
Andi

[Edited by Andi on 12-20-2000 at 12:38 AM]
Old 12-20-2000, 07:44 AM
TJ

At least somone on this forum knows what I'm talking about

Thanks Miladey, you clarified my point better than I could. I was beeing a little harsh when I called Tiem a liar. It was a knee jerk reaction from my expieriences racing my friends 5spd Camry, and the fact Tiem believes his car weighs less than a Maxima 5spd. It was the first time on this forum that someone set me off.

I have nothing against Camry's, they are very good reliable cars, and the the 5spd version is quick. I still believe though, the 95-96 5spd Maxima will pull on a Camry 5spd. Untill my friend can beat me, I'm sticking to my opinion.

Thanks for backing me up Miladey.

Old 12-20-2000, 11:57 AM
Miladey

Andi,
you keep saying TJ owes an apology, but the fact is your friend did give the wrong information about the maxima's weight, and that is why TJ is doubting the times your friend got, that is all,
no one is going back to any BS, what are you talking about?
your friend is simply wrong and misinformed about the weight, no one is calling anybody a liar.

regards,
Mialdey

Old 12-20-2000, 12:37 PM

Mialdey,

From Page 1 of this thread:

TJ: ...So, I E-mailed Tsong and told him his run was bull$hit...

TJ: ...Some how Tsong's MAGIC Camry managed a 14.9 with no mods, Wow! To prove this guy is wack...

Again, the main point here is that TJ was foolishly, erroneously, and recklessly calling Tiem a liar.

The fact that Tiem said his 3060lbs Camry is lighter than any Maxima is not the issue. That may or may not be correct, but who cares? Driver weight differences will negate such a small weight difference anyway. Nobody is offended when you say "my car is lighter than yours." That is not an offensive statement. But it is offensive to say "I think your 14.9 run is bull$hit."

Regards,
Andi
Old 12-20-2000, 01:21 PM
Kato

Who would've thought that this thread would get so much attention? I was going to keep quiet, but seeing as Andi has returned to post I think it's time to speak up.

TJ: Let's take a look at the main point we're arguing here. It's not the weight of the car. Who cares which car weighs more? The point is that you were bad-mouthing Tiem and you even emailed him to continue pestering him ("I E-mailed Tsong and told him his run was ********.") For that, I think you do owe Tiem an apology.

Miladey: "the fact that maxima's engine revs so much faster makes up for lack in horsepower and more" I'm just curious as to where you got this information from.

"the fact is your friend did give the wrong information about the maxima's weight, and that is why TJ is doubting the times your friend got, that is all" TJ may have strong references in his mind about the times of a Maxima versus Camry due to the numerous times he has run his friend, but the thing that he needs to realize is that not all cars are created equal. Not all Maximas run the same times and not all Camrys run the same times. There are so many factors that come into play here. But again, that's not the point. TJ can doubt any times that anybody has gotten at any point in time all he wants, but to call someone a liar for it like he has (see Andi's post above) is just plain wrong.

Andi: Good to see you around again!

Old 12-20-2000, 01:35 PM

Thanks Jeff for injecting some sense into this thread.

P.S. it's good to be back. Just mainly as a lurker this time.

Later,
Andi
Old 12-20-2000, 04:09 PM

Andi,
you keep saying TJ owes an apology, but the fact is your friend did give the wrong information about the maxima's weight, and that is why TJ is doubting the times your friend got, that is all,
your friend is simply wrong and misinformed about the weight, no one is calling anybody a liar.

regards,
Mialdey
Here's what I posted on page 2 of this thread:
Also, my car weighed in at Ennis at 3060 pounds; brochure says 3075. Nissan's website lists the lightest Maxima at 3186 pounds, and that's not the SE.

So yes, my car is lighter than a Maxima. Maybe not some from the previous gen, but definitely ths gen. That's what I meant when I said "my car is lighter than any Maxima". "Any" referred to those of this generation.

So why am I lying? Like I've said before, I don't need to lie. Or attack others with slander to get my point across.

-Tiem
Old 12-20-2000, 04:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

It probably depends on the options package of each car. Also you probably weighed your car w/ a less than full tank of gas and I saw somewhere that Nissan lists their weights fully wet(full tank of gas) Some other guys have weighed in lighter than listed at the track also. It's a minor detail really. Can't believe it's worth this thread length.

Andi,

regards,
Mialdey

So yes, my car is lighter than a Maxima. Maybe not some from the previous gen, but definitely ths gen. That's what I meant when I said "my car is lighter than any Maxima". "Any" referred to those of this generation.

So why am I lying? Like I've said before, I don't need to lie. Or attack others with slander to get my point across.

-Tiem
Old 12-21-2000, 01:39 AM
FlipSide909

I guess some people can't handle the fact that Tsong's Camry can do what it can do. There are always critics. It's a shame that alot of critics are ignorant. Must have been the same type of deal when Hondas made their appearance to the American muscle car boys.

Old 12-21-2000, 06:46 AM
TJ

Oh my gosh, I'm such a slanderous person!

Flipside909, I can handle a Camry being faster than a Max. What I can't handle is BS. I have some first hand knowledge of driving and racing my friends Camry 5spd. Since his car seem's to be slower than my Max, and the magazines show the Camry's performance slower than the Max, I'm going to have a strong opinion about someone like Tiem coming on this forum and claiming they are equal or faster than a Maxima 5spd.

Tiem sounded very cocky to me. He gets on the forum trying to make all of us understand the wicked threat of a Camry 5spd vs. a Maxima 5spd. I immediatly thought of all the races against my friends Camry 5spd, and I said to myself, "This guy has to be full of ****". Now, mabey it was mean and nasty for me to do that, but I just felt Tiem was not being truthfull. Sorry Tiem!

Old 12-21-2000, 07:41 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

camry?

like that one dude said show me a 14 second lightly moded camry. besides the 4th gen max just looks cooler.
Old 12-21-2000, 09:02 AM

Re: Re: Best 60' was 2.16

There are couple of guys in Tampa running 2000 Maxima's with very minor mods. They've been tearing up the track. Check out the 5th Gen forum. 14.7's

Originally posted by gLok

I was the same way back in '98 up here at Englishtown, NJ. I would go to track on a Wednesday night with all the
60s and 70s cars and be the only import. It was tough and then the sport took off. Now on a wednesday night after 8 o'clock it's all imports with very little american iron.

Just wait because it's coming. Import racing is getting bigger it will just take alittle time to get to Florida.

Cool, My best 60 is a 2.158 on the OEM tires that came on the car. I havent dealt with slicks yet. But in 2001 i might go that route with the supercharger.

The import scene is real big in florida its just that no one really runs maximas or camrys. They are rare, at least in my experience.

At moroso on test n tune nights there is a lot of imports and a mix of domestics. Its pretty varied.
Old 12-21-2000, 09:19 AM

Re: Re: I agree with TJ

Obviously we are talking about 4th gen here. But let me add to the conversation... The 5th gen dyno's 200 with only a cone intake. Looking forward to the 3.5 VQ transplant in the current 5th gen body. Man, imagine that engine in something lighter than 3000 pounds!

Miladey,

you even owned a max, I was its biggest proponent. I have heard all that you're saying, and although it's true what you say about the Maxima's engine, you miss the point that Toyota's V6 in the Camry makes more power stock vs. stock. It puts down 172hp at the wheels stock, the VQ30DE through a 6sp puts down 160.

[Edited by Andi on 12-20-2000 at 12:00 AM]
Old 12-21-2000, 09:25 AM

3186 is true for the 5th gen. The 4th gen is 150-200 pounds lighter. I belive you guys are comparing the 4th gen and current Camry, right?

Andi,

regards,
Mialdey

-Tiem
Old 12-27-2000, 11:03 PM

Weights and other issues

It was argued earlier in this thread that a 99 Camry CE V6 5-speed was lighter than any Maxima. Since this is the 4th gen topic, we'll take a 4th gen to compare. I wish to offer a second opinion on the matter, using information provided by Cars.com.
It does not list the weight of a CE V6 5-speed, but it does list a CE, an LE and LE V6. Take the weight of the LE V6, 3175, and subtract the weight of the LE, 3120, and you get the extra weight of the V6 (hopefully), 55 lbs. Add this to the weight of a CE 4-cylinder, 2998, and voila - you get 3053lbs, very close to what Tiem got at the track scale (he got 3060). However, is this lighter than a 4th gen Maxima? Let's check the weight of a 96 SE and 99 SE. Cars.com reports 3010lbs and 3014lbs, respectively. Not a huge difference. Some would say negledgable. I would agree. So, hopefully this will put an end to the "CE V6 5-speed is lighter than any Maxima" argument. I will call them equal (the CE to SE Maxima - the LE Camry is a pig, comparatively).

Now, moving along to the topic at hand:
I suppose it's possible that a stock Camry CE V6 5-speed could break into the 14s (albeit barely). But why? What is the difference between the cars (besides the 4hp and 4lb-ft increase on the Camry side) that would allow that Camry to break into the 14s when Maximas seem to be stuck at 15.3 or so? I think the only possible explanation is in a post from Andi - he noted that Tiem's Camry dynoed with 173 wheel horsepower. There are 3 reasons this could be:
1. The Camry has a more efficient drivetrain, with a 12% parasitic power loss through it. The Maxima seems to be up around 18%, according to a dyno chart I looked at for a 97 maxima (I think it was Andi's!). here is the link: http://www.mygokart.com/Imports/spee...maximadyno.gif
2. Tiem's particular Camry is a cherry; that is, it embodies the good kind of production variances. It could also be a combination of 1 and 2.
3. It wasn't bone stock.

Which one of the 3, I don't know. What I do know is, the Maxima 5-speed is generally regarded as the fastest of the 5-speed FWD sedans. Like other people said, it seems to belt out a few tenths of a mph or second better than the competition. Feel free to discuss further. Maybe it's not worth discussing...
Old 12-27-2000, 11:21 PM

Re: Weights and other issues

Originally posted by kevm14
It was argued earlier in this thread that a 99 Camry CE V6 5-speed was lighter than any Maxima. Since this is the 4th gen topic, we'll take a 4th gen to compare. I wish to offer a second opinion on the matter, using information provided by Cars.com.
It does not list the weight of a CE V6 5-speed, but it does list a CE, an LE and LE V6. Take the weight of the LE V6, 3175, and subtract the weight of the LE, 3120, and you get the extra weight of the V6 (hopefully), 55 lbs. Add this to the weight of a CE 4-cylinder, 2998, and voila - you get 3053lbs, very close to what Tiem got at the track scale (he got 3060). However, is this lighter than a 4th gen Maxima? Let's check the weight of a 96 SE and 99 SE. Cars.com reports 3010lbs and 3014lbs, respectively. Not a huge difference. Some would say negledgable. I would agree. So, hopefully this will put an end to the "CE V6 5-speed is lighter than any Maxima" argument. I will call them equal (the CE to SE Maxima - the LE Camry is a pig, comparatively).

I can agree with that...

Now, moving along to the topic at hand:
I suppose it's possible that a stock Camry CE V6 5-speed could break into the 14s (albeit barely). But why? What is the difference between the cars (besides the 4hp and 4lb-ft increase on the Camry side) that would allow that Camry to break into the 14s when Maximas seem to be stuck at 15.3 or so? I think the only possible explanation is in a post from

It's not a 4hp difference. It's a 14hp difference. (12hp at the wheels divided by 0.85 to get crank hp). You can't go by hp ratings -- they're useless. Some cars are underrated, others aren't. For example, the Corvette is rated at 345hp and the Camaro Z28 is rated at 320hp, but they both put down 300rwhp on average. The Camry is underrated like the Z28.

Andi - he noted that Tiem's Camry dynoed with 173 wheel horsepower. There are 3 reasons this could be:
1. The Camry has a more efficient drivetrain, with a 12% parasitic power loss through it. The Maxima seems to be up around 18%, according to a dyno chart I looked at for a 97 maxima (I think it was Andi's!). here is the link: http://www.mygokart.com/Imports/spee...maximadyno.gif

That is indeed my bone stock dyno. You can see that dyno and my y-pipe-and-intake dyno here:

http://www.boostaholic.com/maxima/dyno/

I doubt the Camry's powertrain is more efficient.. the basic design is virtually identical to the Maxima's. It's scary how similar these two cars really are.

I think the Camry's engine just makes slightly more power. Probably because of the higher compression ratio. (10.5:1 versus 10.0:1.)

2. Tiem's particular Camry is a cherry; that is, it embodies the good kind of production variances. It could also be a combination of 1 and 2.

Perhaps slightly.. but quality Japanese naturally aspirated engines don't really vary all that much. I've seen countless 4th gen Maxima 5speed's dyno 159-160ish. I've seen many S2000's dyno within 1hp of each other... etc.

3. It wasn't bone stock.

Tiem is a good friend of mine and I was there when he dyno'd. If I recall correctly it did 171 bone stock with the headlight and air filter both in, and it picked up 2hp when we took the headlight out, giving a grand total of 173. Gee, 2hp. You can cancel that out by having your school backpack in the trunk.

Which one of the 3, I don't know. What I do know is, the Maxima 5-speed is generally regarded as the fastest of the 5-speed FWD sedans. Like other people said, it seems to belt out a few tenths of a mph or second better than the competition. Feel free to discuss further. Maybe it's not worth discussing...
The Maxima is the most known because (1) you can get a nicely equipped SE with a 5-speed that has all the luxury appointments, and (2) it's easily available. The Camry CE V6 5-speed is much harder to find, doesn't have the semi-nice Bose available, doesn't have the nice electronic climate control nor the also-nice semi-electronic climate control of the Maxima available, doesn't have 16's or 17's available, doesn't have a spoiler available, etc... The Maxima is a slightly sportier package and is the one I'd get because I like Maximas.. but there is no doubt in my mind that the Camry CE V6 5-sp is a tick faster right out the box.

Andi
missing my old Maxima

[Edited by Andi on 12-28-2000 at 01:23 AM]
Old 12-27-2000, 11:32 PM
OG :)

6 bs pages

Originally posted by Andi the Camry CE V6 5-sp is a tick faster right out the box. [/I]
an argument over a millisecond and < than 5 hp... productive
Old 12-27-2000, 11:35 PM

Re: 6 bs pages

Originally posted by Kenneth
Originally posted by Andi the Camry CE V6 5-sp is a tick faster right out the box.
an argument over a millisecond and < than 5 hp... productive [/I]
If the Maxima were the faster one, y'all would be preaching it left and right. When y'all are getting pulled on just a little, though, it's "insignificant." Heh.

No you won't.

Andi

Quick Reply: Conversation with a Camry 5spd Guy