4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how loud does it get INSIDE the car after y-pipe installed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 11:49 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

how loud does it get INSIDE the car after y-pipe installed...

Hi guys

For all of you w/ any brand of Y-pipe installed... I was talking to my cousin (previous owner) and he told me that the reason he didn't get the y-pipe, even tho its a pretty big hp boost, is because since the y-pipe is against the interior cabin... it resonates and it sounds loud inside... is that true?? I would like to get it... but at the same time i don't want to lose the quietness inside. What are your experiences with it?? Thanks
Old 07-31-2002, 12:31 PM
Banned

Re: how loud does it get INSIDE the car after y-pipe installed...

Originally posted by nadir_s
Hi guys

For all of you w/ any brand of Y-pipe installed... I was talking to my cousin (previous owner) and he told me that the reason he didn't get the y-pipe, even tho its a pretty big hp boost, is because since the y-pipe is against the interior cabin... it resonates and it sounds loud inside... is that true?? I would like to get it... but at the same time i don't want to lose the quietness inside. What are your experiences with it?? Thanks
Mine made no difference with the stock resonator and muffler. However since then I have installed a test pipe, removed the resonator, 2 1/2" SS intermediate pipe and 2k1 muffler. Its louder than stock around town but not on the highway unless your WOT and then the intake is louder anyway.

Jim
Old 07-31-2002, 01:34 PM

Re: Re: how loud does it get INSIDE the car after y-pipe installed...

Originally posted by Jime

Mine made no difference with the stock resonator and muffler. However since then I have installed a test pipe, removed the resonator, 2 1/2" SS intermediate pipe and 2k1 muffler. Its louder than stock around town but not on the highway unless your WOT and then the intake is louder anyway.

Jim
Did you wrap you pipe? I want the Budget, but with the string of "my car sounds like a Beetle" posts I'm a little frightened.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: how loud does it get INSIDE the car after y-pipe installed...

Hi guys

I noticed only the most minimal noise increase after installing my WSP y-pipe. Hardly any increase at all. At that time, I had a CAI and no other exhaust mods. It's when you get rid of the mid-pipe resonator and install a flow-through muffler that you get the noise.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:10 PM

I have an intake, free flow cat and big exhaust...combined with my Y, it's not too bad. I only notice it when I'm hauling a bunch of people at low speeds which kinda get's loud. Other than that, at highway speeds, it is just slightly louder that without it. Of course, when I get on it, forgetabouit.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:24 PM

i have intake y and muffler - my fave sound is when the car has been warmed up already and restarted, the noise of the startup is pretty loud.
but driving, i hear the intake more when i press the gas

btw - str8ridin, i finished my ghetto rigged up hose connected to my intake kinda like yours. its very very ghetto.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:42 PM

Mine resonates the cabin but it doesnt bother me much. It not really a vibration but more like a deep bass like how it would sound if you play a subwoofer really low. Its probably due to my stillen muffler amplifying the sound and I only get it driving at low rmps.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:59 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Nismo
Mine resonates the cabin but it doesnt bother me much. It not really a vibration but more like a deep bass like how it would sound if you play a subwoofer really low. Its probably due to my stillen muffler amplifying the sound and I only get it driving at low rmps.
damn hmm... well all i have right now is a cone intake and a catback exhaust... if i either put in a Y-pipe w/ a Frankencar midpipe in the intake system...

blah, i just dont want the INSIDE of my car to be too noisy, outside i can manage
Old 07-31-2002, 04:35 PM

blah, i just dont want the INSIDE of my car to be too noisy, outside i can manage
well duh, you're not hearing the outside of your car

i on the other hand want a loud car.. but not the ricy kind of loud. I hope i don't get pulled over
Old 07-31-2002, 05:17 PM

No difference in noise level inside the car at all when I put on my Ypipe (cone intake, stock muffler and resonator). But outside, well, let's just say the sound is not very refined. It gets louder outside, kind of an unrefined american car rattly exhaust sound. It's not that bad, but definitely a surprise for me. I think I wasn't expecting it because all the other MAximas I've heard with ypipes also had catback mufflers which made a deep rumbling noise which drowned out the ypipe sounds.

Overall I would recommend the ypipe very highly.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:56 PM

I had a CAI and Greddy cat-back for a couple of years before I installed my Warpspeed y-pipe. I completely wrapped it with header wrap before putting it on.

The exhaust sound levels in the car are considerably louder. I think it's a pleasant, deep, throaty sound but I do get a resonant drone at around 2500rpm on the highway.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: how loud does it get INSIDE the car after y-pipe installed...

Originally posted by 97GLE

Did you wrap you pipe? I want the Budget, but with the string of "my car sounds like a Beetle" posts I'm a little frightened.

After 1000 miles the beetle noise is less than it was when first installed most of the time i dont notice it at all. no increase in cabin noise with y pipe.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by sil SE

btw - str8ridin, i finished my ghetto rigged up hose connected to my intake kinda like yours. its very very ghetto.
Cool cool....you won't notice anything in the summer though. You're pretty much taking the air 2 feet from the asphalt which is already hot and bringinng it to your filter. Wait until winter though....all I can say is frost on your intake pipes!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a Cattman Y-Pipe, stock airbox and stock exhaust.
The noise inside is not bad at all, almost not noticable if you have the windows up. If you have all your windows down, you can hear a little bit of difference. I notice most when I am at low RPM's and under load....so keep the RPM's high !
I had the same concern, but I like it...so much fun !