4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rubbing sound/sensation felt while coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 03:30 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Rubbing sound/sensation felt while coming to a stop

Lately I've been noticing that when I come to a stop, not only can I hear some rubbing noise but I can feel it for a few pulses just before coming to a dead stop, I don't know if it's coming from the brakes or the tires but somewhere up front, and I am aware my tires are a bit worn and seems like something either in the brakes or whatever is rubbing against something else, any suggestions? btw the car does not have ABS
Old 08-01-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: Rubbing sound/sensation felt while coming to a stop

Originally posted by Wht98SE
Lately I've been noticing that when I come to a stop, not only can I hear some rubbing noise but I can feel it for a few pulses just before coming to a dead stop, I don't know if it's coming from the brakes or the tires but somewhere up front, and I am aware my tires are a bit worn and seems like something either in the brakes or whatever is rubbing against something else, any suggestions? btw the car does not have ABS
yeha i have the smae snsation...and my brakes are brand new! and rotors were just cut. please some1 help
Old 08-01-2002, 04:13 PM

Add a third to the list. I have this sensation too. I've had it since I bought my car (used). The front brakes were serviced before I took delivery on the car and the rear pads are plenty good still. It is intermittent in my case, but more prominant when it is warm out. Doesn't bother me much anymore. but I would like to fix the problem if possible.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:33 PM
Custom User Title...

i've got the same thing. new brakes too! guy at meineke told me some brakes just make that noise when pads press against the rotors. maybe they just need to break in a little? i'm nervous because i have a torn cv boot so that could add to my problem. hopefully noises are perfectly normal and will go away.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ME 4!

i have the same exact problem. Sounds mostly like its coming from my right front wheel. It's annoying as hell and i dont know whats goin on. any help would b great. thanks!
Old 08-01-2002, 04:56 PM

well you can add me to this list also i have a 99 SE 5 speed just bought last week from the nissan dealer and the front pads and rotors were just done and iam getting the same exact problem maybe it's just the way it is.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:20 PM

Well i dont know what to say about the one with new rotors but are you guys riding your max's hard... and Braking hard. Cause it sounds like you guys have "Hot Spots" on your rotors cause u have been braking to hard on them. I dont know if that is your problem that is what i had the pulsating and stuff like that. The rotors need to either be turned or u need new ones. ~Brian~
Old 08-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the same problem, except that this only started happening the last time I got my tires rotated. So, in my case, I do not think that it is a problem with my rotors. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 08-01-2002, 10:04 PM

i have the same problem too with my 95 , i do not brake hard and when i do brake (always soft ) i had the same noise, sometimes the noise would go away but then it would come back , its worse when its wet out, i had my rotors and brakes checked to see what the problem is and the mechanic told me they were both new and that maybe its just the brand of brake pads thats causing that , but he said its not gauranteed, prob a nissian defect?
Old 08-04-2002, 09:57 PM

same here!!!!!!!!!
does ANYONE KNOW WHATS WRONG???
I just bought a 99 with new brake pads, rotors seem fine and not warped, the cv boots dont look torn but they keep making a juddering noise everytime I brake. first it was on one side, now it's on both and it's getting louder with each day....any ideas?????
Old 08-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check your wheel lugs. Make sure you didn't overtighten them. That can cause rotor warping (I'm told), which causes wierd noises

Old 08-05-2002, 07:21 AM

unevenly tightened

maybe the brake pads or rotors are off center. or on an angle and they make noises and rubb unevenly do to that. thats my experience....
Old 08-05-2002, 10:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This happens on my car sometimes, but it is not the brakes. I just put new rotors and pads all the way around, and it still happens sometimes. I am leaning towards tire noise on my car, but it could be a wheel bearing too.