4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

15" vs. 16" wheel - ride difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

15" vs. 16" wheel - ride difference?

OK...I'm closing in on a decision to buy some new wheels. I've read a lot of the forum posts regarding ride performance improvements with an upgrade to a 16" wheel (the largest I'll consider), but I'm really going for the look and would really like not to sacrifice the soft ride. So...although very subjective, I'd like to poll those of you who have made the upgrade from 15 to 16" and ask if there's a noticeable difference in the ride? i.e. Is it noticeably more harsh?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:28 AM
Lightly modded

i did this last year, and the only thing that changed was my handling got a little better. the ride stayed nice and smooth. the only thing i regret is not getting 17s....i was worried a little bit like you, but after driving around on some bumpy roads, i was very happy with my setup. good luck
Old 08-02-2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by 95maxrider
i did this last year, and the only thing that changed was my handling got a little better. the ride stayed nice and smooth. the only thing i regret is not getting 17s....i was worried a little bit like you, but after driving around on some bumpy roads, i was very happy with my setup. good luck
95maxrider,
Thanks a million for your response. I'm headed for the online store right now.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:14 AM
dko
duck and cover

Re: 15" vs. 16" wheel - ride difference?

Originally posted by Rickalodeon
OK...I'm closing in on a decision to buy some new wheels. I've read a lot of the forum posts regarding ride performance improvements with an upgrade to a 16" wheel (the largest I'll consider), but I'm really going for the look and would really like not to sacrifice the soft ride. So...although very subjective, I'd like to poll those of you who have made the upgrade from 15 to 16" and ask if there's a noticeable difference in the ride? i.e. Is it noticeably more harsh?
it will depend a lot on tires, as well, specifically tire size. Lower profile tires usually yield a harsher ride but more predictable handling because of their stiffer sidewalls.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:57 PM

Re: Re: 15" vs. 16" wheel - ride difference?

Originally posted by dko

it will depend a lot on tires, as well, specifically tire size. Lower profile tires usually yield a harsher ride but more predictable handling because of their stiffer sidewalls.
Here's my thinking on tire sizes...
- If I go with the stock size for the new wheels (16 x 6.5), I'd be putting on 215/55-16. However, this will change the total diameter to a little less than the current tires (.2" - not a big issue). Knowing that the look of the 16" 5-spoke wheels will visually exaggerate the gap between tire and wheel well, I think I would go with the 215/60-16 (diameter increases about .6").

- If I go with a wider tire, I'd be putting on 225/55-16. A little wider, a little larger diameter (.2").

On that note - What's the ruling on the widest tire for a 6.5" wheel? Tire Rack says 225 would be fine, while others on the forum seem not to agree...And that a wider wheel should be used.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:18 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Re: Re: 15" vs. 16" wheel - ride difference?

Here's my thinking on tire sizes...
- If I go with the stock size for the new wheels (16 x 6.5), I'd be putting on 215/55-16. However, this will change the total diameter to a little less than the current tires (.2" - not a big issue). Knowing that the look of the 16" 5-spoke wheels will visually exaggerate the gap between tire and wheel well, I think I would go with the 215/60-16 (diameter increases about .6").

- If I go with a wider tire, I'd be putting on 225/55-16. A little wider, a little larger diameter (.2").

On that note - What's the ruling on the widest tire for a 6.5" wheel? Tire Rack says 225 would be fine, while others on the forum seem not to agree...And that a wider wheel should be used.
a wider than recommended tire may not give that many problems, but you might as well be safe. plus, the correct tire for the wheel will yield better handling. also, to see how much your speedo will be off you can check here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 08-02-2002, 02:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 15" vs. 16" wheel - ride difference?

Originally posted by dko

a wider than recommended tire may not give that many problems, but you might as well be safe. plus, the correct tire for the wheel will yield better handling. also, to see how much your speedo will be off you can check here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Thanks for the miata.net tip...much easier than the hand calculations.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:35 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 15" vs. 16" wheel - ride difference?

Thanks for the miata.net tip...much easier than the hand calculations.
this is in the FAQ, by the way. before asking any questions always check there, it might save you some time. good luck with your purchases and the install!
Old 08-02-2002, 06:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 15" vs. 16" wheel - ride difference?

Originally posted by dko
this is in the FAQ, by the way. before asking any questions always check there, it might save you some time. good luck with your purchases and the install!
Actually, I did see the link in the FAQs, but thought it was nice of you to offer it up. Thanks again for your feedback.