4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97-99 Bose different than 95-99? or Same POS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 08:46 PM

97-99 Bose different than 95-99? or Same POS?

I saw someone selling their 97-99 Bose HU on eBay. It looks different than my 96, but does it have have the same problems as mine?
Problems such as: display rarely ever works, doesn't play most CDs, doesn't play all the songs on a CD, skips when you run over a pebble, etc.
Is it worth paying about $100? I'm not ready to make the commitment of buying an entirly new system, and I don't want to deal with an aftermarket HU that is incompatible with the Bose speakers.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:50 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: 97-99 Bose different than 95-99? or Same POS?

Originally posted by thisasian
I saw someone selling their 97-99 Bose HU on eBay. It looks different than my 96, but does it have have the same problems as mine?
Problems such as: display rarely ever works, doesn't play most CDs, doesn't play all the songs on a CD, skips when you run over a pebble, etc.
Is it worth paying about $100? I'm not ready to make the commitment of buying an entirly new system, and I don't want to deal with an aftermarket HU that is incompatible with the Bose speakers.
I have a 96SE w/ bose speakers... the ONLY problem that i can relate is the skips... but it that's because my ride is stiff and it doeosn't happen over pebbles..
Old 08-02-2002, 08:55 PM

Re: Re: 97-99 Bose different than 95-99? or Same POS?

Originally posted by nadir_s

I have a 96SE w/ bose speakers... the ONLY problem that i can relate is the skips... but it that's because my ride is stiff and it doeosn't happen over pebbles..
Are you sure you have a 96? Looks like a 97 front bumper.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I sold my 98 Bose HU to a guy who had a 96 Bose. They are all (95-99) completely plug compatible. The newer ones, especially the 99 Bose HU, just have less worn out parts. CD laser lenses always get weak after time and use. The skipping over bumps is a symptom.

The display problem may have been just the earlier ones. Mine was fine before I sold it.

DW
Old 08-02-2002, 08:56 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: 97-99 Bose different than 95-99? or Same POS?

Are you sure you have a 96? Looks like a 97 front bumper.
I would know what year my car is... check the text under my sig picture
Old 08-02-2002, 10:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 97-99 Bose different than 95-99? or Same POS?

Originally posted by dwapenyi
They are all (95-99) completely plug compatible. The newer ones, especially the 99 Bose HU, just have less worn out parts. DW
They look different, right?

I would know what year my car is... check the text under my sig picture
We're all friends here bro, and I don't mean to insult you in any way nadir_s , but here is a picture from Edmunds of a 96 http://www.edmunds.com/used/1996/nis...n/photo_1.html
Here is one of a 97 http://www.edmunds.com/used/1997/nis...n/photo_1.html
If you haven't already, check the vin# http://www.courtesyparts.com/specs/vin.html

I noticed that your car has the bar in the middle and different shaped foglights. Me personally? I'd be really happy just to be able to say my car is 1 year younger.
-Walt
Old 08-02-2002, 10:30 PM
jmax

If it is bose, and it is in a car, it is crud. But that is just my opinion. Actually, I think it is clarion. But they are also crud, as can be demonstrated with my wife's clarion which has been in the repair shop longer than in the car.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:34 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 97-99 Bose different than 95-99? or Same POS?

We're all friends here bro, and I don't mean to insult you in any way nadir_s , but here is a picture from Edmunds of a 96 http://www.edmunds.com/used/1996/nis...n/photo_1.html
Here is one of a 97 http://www.edmunds.com/used/1997/nis...n/photo_1.html
If you haven't already, check the vin# http://www.courtesyparts.com/specs/vin.html

I noticed that your car has the bar in the middle and different shaped foglights. Me personally? I'd be really happy just to be able to say my car is 1 year younger.
-Walt [/B]
I know u didn't mean it that way My car is a 96SE and when it got into an accident a couple years ago. The front (wrecked) was replaced w/ the 97+ front using the insurance moola.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 97-99 Bose different than 95-99? or Same POS?

I know u didn't mean it that way My car is a 96SE and when it got into an accident a couple years ago. The front (wrecked) was replaced w/ the 97+ front using the insurance moola. [/B]
Drat! I knew you'd say that! I thought about it right after I posted it, LOL heh, sorry I questioned you
Old 08-03-2002, 12:05 AM

5th gen?

Would the 5th gen Bose work in 4th gen cars?
Old 08-03-2002, 08:26 AM

Re: 5th gen?

Originally posted by voltman
Would the 5th gen Bose work in 4th gen cars?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:10 AM

I think that my stock bose system sounded great.....I had absolutely no problems with it..... and the bose speakers sound really nice too. All the system needed was a few subs. But, I got rid of the stock HU to get an in-dash changer about a month ago. I dunno, I guess I just got lucky in getting a good HU before.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:39 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by jmax
If it is bose, and it is in a car, it is crud. But that is just my opinion. Actually, I think it is clarion. But they are also crud, as can be demonstrated with my wife's clarion which has been in the repair shop longer than in the car.

have u heard the bose in a benz, sclass sound way better then ourz also the new Q's bose sounds goos tooooo
Old 08-03-2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by kevlo911

have u heard the bose in a benz, sclass sound way better then ourz also the new Q's bose sounds goos tooooo
Would they all fit and connect right?
Old 08-03-2002, 09:56 AM

Alot of work. Each Bose system is unique to each vehicle. FOr starters, like in the E class Benzes, the BOSE systems have 8-10 speakers per system, and the amps, insteads of being located behind each speaker like in our car, is located as 1 unit of 8 amplifiers in the dash or in the trunk. Some have tweeters inside the rearview mirror even. Not only that, the Bose system uses the wiring harness of the car, so think about cross-referencing a Nissan stereo harness to a Benz one. Big headache. Besides, the system was built to match the acoustics of that car's environment. It won't sound as good even if you mamanged to somehow get it installed on your Maxima.

DW

Would they all fit and connect right?
Old 08-03-2002, 11:46 AM

CD NOT WORKING PROBLEM
don't use burned CDs....
those CDs will damage the cd player...
just use regular ones ^^
mine didn't work when I used burned CDs, but now it'sfine that I play the regular ones
Old 08-03-2002, 11:53 AM

I used burned CDs fine in my unit. You just have to find the right ones, like the right color. My player had a healthy dose of Imation 650 MB and Memorex Black 700 MB CD-Rs. No problems. Maybe its the rate you burn at. My maximum for my relatively old CD burner is 6X. Maybe with higher rates the Head unit gets finicky.

DW

Originally posted by Sexima
CD NOT WORKING PROBLEM
don't use burned CDs....
just use regular ones ^^
mine didn't work when I used burned CDs, but now it'sfine that I play the regular ones
Old 08-03-2002, 12:07 PM
Kevlo for President

i been using burned cd's in my bose for yrs now and not a prolem yet, i use verbatim cd's
Old 08-03-2002, 12:38 PM
JsL

'98 Bose is not that bad

I like the bose system in my 98 I30t. I'm pretty sure its the same system in a 98 maxima. The only complain I have is that the rear speakers are one way speakers. The bass is great but there is no difined mids or highs in the rear. I know in 98+ maximas and I30s, they relocated the tweeter to the front door panel, instead of the front pillar. I play my burned cds all the time in the car and I;ve heard it skip once cuz I went over a hugh pothole. I don't like the newer bose systems in +00 I30s and G35s, they don't sound that great and you can't turn it up that loud.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:38 PM

The truth?

The problem with the CD Player failures may be more closely related to CD-R's than we think. I'm not completely sure if the Bose CD player reacts in the same way, but I noticed that when using different brands of CD-R's on my Playstation or my Sony CD Walkman, some brands of CD-R's will take longer to initally load. This means that the cd lens will need to adjust to proper speed and positioning (I think?) which would result in more wear on the CD lens/laser.

I've gone through two Playstations now. On my first one, I played ALL kinds of CD-R's (Maxell, Mitsui, Memorex, TDK, Sony ect) and within a year, CD skipping was more frequent and some CD-R's just stopped working. On my 2nd Playstation, same thing happened after using multiple CD brands. On my 3rd Playstation (current, hey they're cheap to replace!) I've been using nothing but Verbatim CD-R's(stuck with one brand) and for over 2 years now, it's working perfectly still.

I've been using ONLY Verbatim CD-R's in my Bose system, and they run perfectly.
My friend who owns a 2001 Accord Ex with the 5-disc-in-dash CD changer, has had to already replace his CD player unit (warranty work). I asked him what kind of CD brands he uses and he listed like 5 or 6 different brands.
IMO, try not to mix and match differnt CD-R brands, stick to one of two and I bet ya the Bose CD player will last much longer, or we could just forget about CD-R's altogether and just use original CD's, but who wants to do that
Old 08-04-2002, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Sexima
CD NOT WORKING PROBLEM
don't use burned CDs....
just use regular ones ^^
Na, not the problem. My reciever plays the CD-Rs just fine, and it actually doesn't play some of my real CDs. I think it's just old, and not assembled very well. Alas, I'll find some other solution to this prob. Thanks guys.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:52 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Re: '98 Bose is not that bad

Originally posted by JsL
I know in 98+ maximas and I30s, they relocated the tweeter to the front door panel, instead of the front pillar.

That "relocation" was cost cutting. Be glad if you have the tweeters on the pillars, as they provide noticably better treble and overall sound quality. Don't get me wrong I love my stock Bose in my '97, it sounds pretty damn good for factory, but 95-96 Bose sounds better.

Old 08-04-2002, 09:55 PM

Re: Re: '98 Bose is not that bad

Yeah. That pillar location was ideal. Maybe this should be a minor mod for 97+ Boses systems. Re-locate tweeter to pillar

DW

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE

That "relocation" was cost cutting. Be glad if you have the tweeters on the pillars, as they provide noticably better treble and overall sound quality. Don't get me wrong I love my stock Bose in my '97, it sounds pretty damn good for factory, but 95-96 Bose sounds better.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:10 AM

Re: Re: 5th gen?

I was wondering the same thing.
Anyone?