4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hmm questions about CAI install :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002 | 08:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hmm questions about CAI install :(

well started to install my cai today, guy that was doin it for me showed up at like 8 ish and it was starting to get dark, and i didn't have anything but a damn mag light after it got totally dark which was right around the time we were starting to drill, after messin with the drill for a few minutes the fugen mag light died and then the guy broke his cutter some how heh, any way, he said he can't help me put the filter on cuz hes not bringing jacks to my house so I have to do that on my own, well the problem is I don't have any jacks either!! So i was wonder if I even needed to jack it up to rip the wheel well cover thing open to put the filter on, I suck with cars, i can just drive one if you follow me. Anyway any feedback would be great Im not even sure how to pull the cover thing back or out to get up in there so my car is sitting in the drive way battery and all in the shed and the pipe from the tb connected with the maf hooked up awaiting tommorrow..up side to the story, the dude that was helping me shows up with a SWEEET! *** maxima, and I didn't even know he had one, he had 14.8 time slips...this is an automatic to mind you, he has a greddy SP exhaust,UDP,CAI,still Y pipe, chrome altezzas, blue leds in the dash and door switches etc. jevoc shift knobz ground control coilovers dropped at a little over 2 inches, and some other **** too, o he had a carbon fiber hood too, I was checking it out no fittment issues that I saw (re: carbon fiber gd posts), also his car was for sale its a 99se limited auto, full black leather..etc 70K on it here in southern maine selling it for 13k i believe. He also mentioned something about helping me do a throttle body upgrade on my car if I wanted too, with a Infinity qx4 tb swap i guess, he said It can be done...i checked his and he is right is can be. Was wondering if anyone else has tried that? Anyway help with previous question would be great, thanks.
Old 08-04-2002 | 08:49 PM

instead of drilling, just use the upper intake pipe and attach the filter to that........much easier, and better
Old 08-04-2002 | 08:52 PM

Yeah I though of that, too so does the MAF then just connect directly toto the TB? and then the upper piece on the other side? Also How is that better its sucking in hot air from under the hood. Is it not a proven fact that the cold the engine is the better it runs? hehe
Old 08-04-2002 | 09:52 PM
Sports Button FTW

i don't know about all that but you can access the front bumper wheel cover area without jacking up the car....and u can put the filter on if u didn't drop the car....its only about 2 screws securing that front part and u can easily see the piping...should be RIGHT behind the driver side fog light if u have one....

just pop in there and tighten VERY WELL
Old 08-04-2002 | 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Mmmaxx
Yeah I though of that, too so does the MAF then just connect directly toto the TB? and then the upper piece on the other side? Also How is that better its sucking in hot air from under the hood. Is it not a proven fact that the cold the engine is the better it runs? hehe
just run the "hybrid" intake until you get the jacks- use the upper tope thats connected to the TB, connect the MAF sensor to that, take off the intake adapter thats attached to the lower half of the tube and bolt that to the MAF sensor, bolt the cone filter to the adapter.
Old 08-05-2002 | 12:28 PM

hmm maybe, anyway I can't bolt the filter to the tube, there are no holes for it.. its one of those Mega flow filters that custommaxima.com sends out wit the cai. the Guy installing it said that was a pretty ****ty filter compared to most. heh
Old 08-05-2002 | 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Mmmaxx
hmm maybe, anyway I can't bolt the filter to the tube, there are no holes for it.. its one of those Mega flow filters that custommaxima.com sends out wit the cai. the Guy installing it said that was a pretty ****ty filter compared to most. heh
you dont bolt tyhe filter to the tube, you clamp it on the adapter using the provided clamps
Old 08-05-2002 | 10:53 PM

hmm if I use the intake as it was intended, cai style and no hybrid there is no clamp.. I was thinking of putting some crazy glue around the tube where the cone goes on, I figure when I have to change the filter it wont be that hard to just twist off plus the glue will help it stay on better CHRIST anyone in an around the southern maine area like NH or somthing wanna drive up and help me finish this? the dude doin it was supposed to come back tonight, but he never went to get his cutter replaced or whatever so he never showed up called at like 9 and said he forgot it doesn't bother me much since i dont get my lisence back for a couple days (suspention ) but I would like to get this done!
Old 08-05-2002 | 11:02 PM

the filter is put on the same way weather its a CAI or hybrid, pop charger etc... there sould be a worm gear clamp that is included with the intake, it looks just like the clamps that connect the tube to the TB. Dont glue your filter on
Old 08-05-2002 | 11:59 PM

I got nothing in the box that looks like an extra clamp. I could probably make one though. i might end up drilling the rest myself
friend has a dremel tool i can use, but I have to cut the circle myself following the line god I wish i knew what i was doing hehe
it'll be fun when i start putting the battery and **** back in, ill **** somethin up