4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Scary misshift experience.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 07:49 PM

Scary misshift experience.....

Well....tonight I had a very scary mishift experience that I want to vent about. I do not promote street racing....however I was following my friend in his s10 4.3 v6 2k model 5spd truck. Now for a short introduction his truck is actually kinda quick being stock other than a new centerforce clutch..he catches fourth but its a truck anyways. In anycase, I wouldnt call it racing but he wanted to see what a maxima would do so he was in front and started about three or four cars ahead we were going down a straight two lane road. I make it to third...and realing him in with every shift, at approx 80 I decide well I'll go ahead and shift to fourth..woops I hit second, and I have yet to figure out how I did this. The car revved out to about 7600 rpms, but I was off the gas and outa second in a hurry. Well it appears as thought the engine is running as good as ever, about the only thing I smelt was a smoking clutch.
Anything else you suggest I check as precaution. I mean it seems fine, but should I check compression things like that just in case.

I praise the nissan vq engine, for not blowing a rod or a cylinder like some american car would have during such a misshift..not to hate on american cars but it just aint the same.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:54 PM
RKS

Re: Scary misshift experience.....

ask emax. I believe he did it in his sc i30.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:01 PM
Disco Biscuit

Ya, I slammed it into second once instead of forth, as long as you let off the gas imediatly, you should be fine......
Old 08-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

even if u let off the gas, ur still overrevving, the internals should be ok, its the head that gets the most damage from serious overrevving.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:34 PM

My uncle and lots of truck drivers stop with the engine. On slippery roads that is the only way to stop shifting into a lower gear while going fast. But then again truck's are not exactly 5 speeds Anyway, you should be fine.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:43 PM
Sports Button FTW

that same **** happened to me two days ago, i threw it in 4th and it was actually second and luckily i wasn't going to fast or something cause it only revved to like 6,000 max....threw it back in neutral and went my jolly way...

but its scary when u just get thrown to the steering wheel (i don't wear seat belts on a daily basis...please don't flame)
Old 08-08-2002, 07:23 AM
I'm so hood

If you push the stick down with a slight emphasis to the right side, this should never happen. It took one or two times of me bumping the gate a little for me to get used to it compared to my acura.

Works best for me if I either reverse my hand over the top of the ****, palm facing the passenger side, and flick down with the fingers, or more commonly in right-hand gangsta-lean stance, elbow on the armrest and just flick straight down. If you pull straight down from the driver's side, you'll have a tendency to pull a bit left.