4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

JWT Intake Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 09:27 PM

JWT Intake Installation

I have a 96 maxima 5 speed. I just installed the JWT intake and the sound is nice. It is almost like a Ferrari-type sound coming from the intake. It's not as deep as an LT1 but it is deeper than like the GM 4.3.

Anyway I had a slight problem w/the install. Where is the best place to mount the intake temp sensor that was in the top of my air box? I just left it completely disconnected for now. I searched but found no detailed answers...just stuff like zip tie it or tape it but no pictures or exact explanations as to where. There is a bracket on it but there is not a great place to mount it except maybe on the strut tower.

Another thing, did yall just leave the "ram air" intake that was connected to the bottom of the stock air box or did you take it out? I was considering taking mine out but figure it may pull in a little air to the filer...could the bottom of the air box be left on? I don't think it would fit. Just wondering if anyone has tried.

Also, my intake has a little bit of a whistle or sucking noise even when cruising at say 50mph. Could there be something loose b/c I heard this intake was not noticable unless at like 1/3 throttle or more? I can almost notice mine even shifting at around 2k and barely hitting the gas. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:37 PM

r u talking about the sensor that goes to the MAF? did u take out the MAF?

i kept the scoop. and the whistling noise is normal.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by MaximaPower
r u talking about the sensor that goes to the MAF? did u take out the MAF?

i kept the scoop. and the whistling noise is normal.
I am talking about the air temperature sensor. It was mounted to the top half of the stock air box. I have a 96...I think the 97s have this sensor closer to the engine. It somewhat controls the amount of fuel the car gets based on the temperature...I think. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:46 PM

if i had a digital camera, id take a pic. let me try to explain as best i can. the sensor is connected by those wires. lay the sensor on the intake (i placed mine just below the actual cone itself). once its decently near the intake, use a plastic zip tie (make sure its long enough, i had to use 2) to go around the intake and hold the wires in place. plug the wires back in. i hope taht helps.

also, yeah the sucking/whistling is normal. just learn to ignore it and hear only the grumble
Old 08-07-2002, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by gepetto
if i had a digital camera, id take a pic. let me try to explain as best i can. the sensor is connected by those wires. lay the sensor on the intake (i placed mine just below the actual cone itself). once its decently near the intake, use a plastic zip tie (make sure its long enough, i had to use 2) to go around the intake and hold the wires in place. plug the wires back in. i hope taht helps.

also, yeah the sucking/whistling is normal. just learn to ignore it and hear only the grumble
oh..ok...that's the sensor that's near the end of the scoop on the 97-99s
Old 08-07-2002, 09:54 PM
pjalst

Re: JWT Intake Installation

Originally posted by dlee275
I have a 96 maxima 5 speed. I just installed the JWT intake and the sound is nice. It is almost like a Ferrari-type sound coming from the intake. It's not as deep as an LT1 but it is deeper than like the GM 4.3.

Anyway I had a slight problem w/the install. Where is the best place to mount the intake temp sensor that was in the top of my air box? I just left it completely disconnected for now. I searched but found no detailed answers...just stuff like zip tie it or tape it but no pictures or exact explanations as to where. There is a bracket on it but there is not a great place to mount it except maybe on the strut tower.

Another thing, did yall just leave the "ram air" intake that was connected to the bottom of the stock air box or did you take it out? I was considering taking mine out but figure it may pull in a little air to the filer...could the bottom of the air box be left on? I don't think it would fit. Just wondering if anyone has tried.

Also, my intake has a little bit of a whistle or sucking noise even when cruising at say 50mph. Could there be something loose b/c I heard this intake was not noticable unless at like 1/3 throttle or more? I can almost notice mine even shifting at around 2k and barely hitting the gas. Thanks a lot.
I have the same questions you have. My sensor is just dangling also. I was wondering if I should keep the air ram conected also. If you look at it , it looks like it may channel some air to the cone.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:05 AM

i love JWT
Old 08-08-2002, 02:07 PM

help...
Old 08-08-2002, 03:18 PM

I have the same damn problem, my intake temp sensor doesnt reach the intake, its tied down by some kind of little hose that went into the engine and I wasn't about to disconnect that.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:25 PM

I have a '96 Auto

If you look at someone who has a Stillen intake on their 96 you'll notice that in the center of the chromed part of the Intake they have a hole for the sensor. I drilled a hole and inserted two screws into my JWT to mimic the Stillen Intake.

I left the Ram portion.

You will hear a sucking sound.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:30 PM

i found a solution...

I was rereading what everyone had posted and just went out there and looked around for a place I could screw that gold bracket to. I was going to screw it to a hole by the strut and tie it to a metal line that ran around the tower but decided it may be too high and come in contact w/ the hood. I ended up pulling off the bracket and electrical taping the wires near the sensor below the cone to the metal brace that came with the JWT intake. It is just hanging there near where the "ram air" snorkel comes out.

I was reading a few post suggesting that the sensor be dropped down in the filter and then to tighten the filter, but I thought of a few reasons not to do this. First, the filter would not be as tight against the tubing and there may be a leak. Also, the senor may slightly obstruct airflow. Finally, it couldn't be good for the wires to have that filter tightened against them. My engine light went off for the time being the way I rigged it so I am happy.

I do not really notice a power increase in the top end, although the sound is amazing, and I do notice a slight decrease in low end. Anyway I mainly did this as a cheap way to get "race car" sound from the vq and possibly free up some top end for when I get my y and b pipes. Overall, I am pleased w/ this mod. It was easy to install and relatively cheap.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:41 PM

Re: I have a '96 Auto

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
If you look at someone who has a Stillen intake on their 96 you'll notice that in the center of the chromed part of the Intake they have a hole for the sensor. I drilled a hole and inserted two screws into my JWT to mimic the Stillen Intake.

I left the Ram portion.

You will hear a sucking sound.
I thought of a better way to describe the sound that I am hearing...hissing. Anyway, the new design on the JWT makes it impossible to drill a hole in the filter b/c the top is open with a chrome ring around the edge.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:43 PM

i just took the cone off the metal base that comes with it and centered the sensor in the middle of the pipe then i just put he cone back on over the wires so that the sensor is hanging at the base of the cone. check out this quick paint pictures.

don't laugh lol