4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what it take to make a 96 auto into low 14s

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 06:55 PM

I've been trying to figure out how his intake just moves so much air that the ECU can't respond quick enough. My blower is pushing 8lbs of boost in there at redline, and it still hits fuel cut at about 6700 on the tach, pretty sure the tach is off though. I've never come close to seeing 7K on that tach. Hell, if his "tuned" intake is moving that much air, I'll sell the SC and get that in a minute.

I really can't see the difference between the FLP intake, the Frankencar one, etc. It's just a filter on a stick. And how much room do you have to tune the length of the intake anyways? The whole pipe isn't but like 12" long. I know that tuning the intake length does have an effect on torque, but you'd think that you'd need more intake pipe length to do any significant tuning. Finally, how can the 1/4 not show the true power of the intake? All of a sudden after the 1/4 marker, the intake just magically starts pulling in more air? I always though that how much air the intake moved was a function of engine rpm and how much air the engine itself sucked in. All a good intake can do is remove the restriction, and maybe have the right tube length. But if the intake was so amazing, wouldn't it move just as much air at say 5K in 1st and 2nd as it would in 3rd and 4th? So how does this intake only excel at highway running, the one parameter that you can't really measure?

Originally posted by Nealoc187

I'd say it's pretty much a definite that he's discredited his company... boy I'd be ****ed if my little lie blew up in my face and destroyed my company's reputation.

I especially like the part about revving to 7000rpm on the stock ECU because of a tuned intake... nice, your auto is putting about 95hp to the wheels at 7000rpm... I'm sure that really gets you movin to take out those R1s.

"Nealoc all I can say is that I'm faster than you" show me the proof bud.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:02 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Shadow
I've been trying to figure out how his intake just moves so much air that the ECU can't respond quick enough. My blower is pushing 8lbs of boost in there at redline, and it still hits fuel cut at about 6700 on the tach, pretty sure the tach is off though. I've never come close to seeing 7K on that tach. Hell, if his "tuned" intake is moving that much air, I'll sell the SC and get that in a minute.

I really can't see the difference between the FLP intake, the Frankencar one, etc. It's just a filter on a stick. And how much room do you have to tune the length of the intake anyways? The whole pipe isn't but like 12" long. I know that tuning the intake length does have an effect on torque, but you'd think that you'd need more intake pipe length to do any significant tuning. Finally, how can the 1/4 not show the true power of the intake? All of a sudden after the 1/4 marker, the intake just magically starts pulling in more air? I always though that how much air the intake moved was a function of engine rpm and how much air the engine itself sucked in. All a good intake can do is remove the restriction, and maybe have the right tube length. But if the intake was so amazing, wouldn't it move just as much air at say 5K in 1st and 2nd as it would in 3rd and 4th? So how does this intake only excel at highway running, the one parameter that you can't really measure?

You just stated very clearly what every single person on this thread is wondering. So... Mr. NightRider?
Old 08-15-2002, 07:14 PM

I am by no means an embarassment to this board. The few people that think that they know everything are an embarrassment to this board. My car is not made up of everything on the internet. I don't flip through magazines trying to find performance mods for my Maxima. I've built 5.0s from the ground up. I also built an MR2 that put SCCs MR2 to shame. I built my car my self, mostly with my own parts unless I find something that works better. I haven't discredited my company because as I said earlier, Fast Lane Performance has been around for some time now and work on many other cars besides the Maxima. Mostly domestics and a few imports. We know what works and what doesn't. You don't need a lot of money to go fast. You don't need a lot of mods either. Just a little old school tuning which no one on this board seems to know anything about. I didn't do any ricer fly-bys on that bike. HE GOT BEAT!! Just suck it up and go buy a real highway bike such as a Ducati 996. Or even the 772. I now understand why people get fed up with this club. We are chock full of IDIOTS (theBlue, Dave B, Soon2BMaxed) to name a few. These people think they created the Maxima as well as every other car and know for sure that Nissan's best V6 cannot be tuned by any length that they are not willing to take. I think its pretty sad that a few others agree with them and are afraid along with them to push their car to its limits. For the record, I NEVER made the claim that my intake makes you car rev to 7000 rpm. That was kwamdoo74. One of our satisfied customers. I simply stated the fact that I saw it happen on his car. Maybe his car had an ECU put in before he bought it...I don't know. It was at a standstill in Neutral so it is a possibility. He said that it didn't do that before the intake was put in. I didn't see him rev it beforehand so I can't address it.

*EDIT* My intake took .3 off my quarter mile time and added 4 mph to my trap speed. This is on my car. Since then I have added some other things, making my car that much faster on the highway. Its not all due to the intake. the race version of our intake allows you to play some more with length. We also add bends to the pipe and re-direct airflow across the filter. You're right, there's not much you can do on the street version. A pipe is a pipe. The race version changes alot.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:31 PM
SLOW

Words words... where's a dyno that proves this huge top end?

Dave B and theBlue are idiots just because they don't believe the story made up by some guy on the internet? You've yet to show any proof.

Whats this you keep saying about people being afraid to take their cars to the next level of perfomance? That makes no sense. I think its that people are afraid to send their money to someone who makes such outrageous claims and fails to provide proof time and time again, not that they are afraid to make their car faster. You think with all the money people spend on their cars that they are afraid to make it faster? Where's the logic in that. Show some proof of these incredible gains and you'll move alot of product. Continue to dodge every attempt to get you to show proof and you and your company remain a joke. Its quite simple. If it works, people will buy it. Show us the proof.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Whats this you keep saying about people being afraid to take their cars to the next level of perfomance? That makes no sense. I think its that people are afraid to send their money to someone who makes such outrageous claims and fails to provide proof time and time again, not that they are afraid to make their car faster. You think with all the money people spend on their cars that they are afraid to make it faster? Where's the logic in that. Show some proof of these incredible gains and you'll move alot of product. Continue to dodge every attempt to get you to show proof and you and your company remain a joke. Its quite simple. If it works, people will buy it. Show us the proof.
I ordered an FLP intake a few days ago. Once it comes and I drive around for a bit you'll see my post. You'll get an unbiased opinion because I know absolutely none of the FLP owners or users.
-Cyrus
Old 08-15-2002, 08:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by NightRider
I didn't do any ricer fly-bys on that bike. HE GOT BEAT!! Just suck it up and go buy a real highway bike such as a Ducati 996. Or even the 772.
What is a 772? Is that a new airplane?

You think a Ducati 996 is a highway bike? Why?

What top speed do you think your gsxr1000 is capable of?

What top speed is your nissan maxima capable of?

Id love to see that car go, where you at?

Im sure someone can get a nissan maxima to be very fast. Cars are usually faster than bikes, if they have some good mods. But the group is right, you need to provide proof.

I dont know Easyrider, but i would definatly buy a nissan maxima, and his products if i knew this was true. You sell these things? How do you backup your products? Where can i see them?

For starters, a nice video of you beating a gsxr1000, r1, 954rr, 996, etc.. would be a nice thing to do!

Ricardo
Old 08-15-2002, 08:34 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

cars are usually faster than bikes......... lol

must be talking about bicycles...... I own them everyday..... the y pipe helped.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:36 PM

TheBlue: I like your sig.

Nightrider even make emerald95gxe tolerable.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by LeX
Twin turbo + 100 shot. Blow your engine into the 10's
haha, always something funny to say!
Old 08-15-2002, 09:31 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I now understand why people get fed up with this club. We are chock full of IDIOTS (theBlue, Dave B, Soon2BMaxed) to name a few. These people think they created the Maxima as well as every other car and know for sure that Nissan's best V6 cannot be tuned by any length that they are not willing to take. I think its pretty sad that a few others agree with them and are afraid along with them to push their car to its limits.
Man, you are just unbelievable I see that you're only 21 (I went to your site). I like your high performance air freshner and PLaystation I too have worked on many 5.0s and personally driven on the track, I owned and modified a 94 Z28, and I've tuned my buddies turbo 99 Civic hatch, etc. I absorb myself in automotive knowledge. That's my hobbie and I've been doing it since I was 16 (I'm 28 now). I'm pretty certain I know WTF I'm talking about.

What have I given to this Org? I give specific details about my mods and I dyno test them AND track test them. Everything is backed by tangible data. All I'm reading from you is a bunch of unsubstantiated BS about your "tuned for highway power" Maxima and highway kills. Play with intake pipe lengths all you want, the truth is you're limited by the intake manifold. I'll let you figure that one out since you have so much automotive experience in your 15.5 second "Highway Beast".

I could care less that you're studying to be an engineer. The truth is you're still in school and really don't know jack about engineering yet. Guess what I do for a living? Here a link to the company I work for and make sure to read the scrolling info on the left. I'll let you figure it out. www.urscorp.com

Dave
Old 08-15-2002, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by scorch

What is a 772? Is that a new airplane?

You think a Ducati 996 is a highway bike? Why?

What top speed do you think your gsxr1000 is capable of?

What top speed is your nissan maxima capable of?

Id love to see that car go, where you at?

Im sure someone can get a nissan maxima to be very fast. Cars are usually faster than bikes, if they have some good mods. But the group is right, you need to provide proof.

I dont know Easyrider, but i would definatly buy a nissan maxima, and his products if i knew this was true. You sell these things? How do you backup your products? Where can i see them?

For starters, a nice video of you beating a gsxr1000, r1, 954rr, 996, etc.. would be a nice thing to do!

Ricardo
Isn't the 998r out now?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:44 PM

Nightrider give it up. Your car is a joke and so is Fastlane performance. You need to take your medicine becuase you are highly delusional and have been for a while. Face it people here are onto your BS, so please give it up. Your auto doesnt have "mad top end". Quit giving the members that actually know what they are talking about a problem.

FYI......I took out a Hayabusa in my Maxima today it was sweet. My mad skillz at driving and my mad top end made me the clear victor. If I had an auto it would have a been worse beating. Something like 10+ carlenghts.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:55 PM

you didn't discredit your company, because imo it never HAD any...

vaporware, pointless claims, and foolish pride-driven posts are not a way to sell a quality product. if i were building a maxima, i'd choose APC, WeaponR, and other rice-boy brands over your crap at this rate.

My intake gave me a dyno-proven 7.9hp (do a search on here for "toronto maxima meet dyno rsx" and i'm sure eventually you'll turn up the thread w/ all of our charts). for a little NA motor, that was decent, but to be honest, it's more that you hear more, and 'feel' faster... i doubt your intake gives like 25hp at the top end, heck, from what i've seen of maxima dynos, there ISN'T a ton of top-end, so unless you're including a new set of cams w/ this intake... :P that said, for someone who seems to think he's so fast, stop talking crap and prove it. what good are claims if they are unrepeatable? yeah, I only run approx 14.8x (best was 14.79 but i average 14.8-15.0) but at least i'll admit that... i'll also admit getting OWNED by a bike on the highway recently (it was fun trying up to about 125 tho) but obviously you're not a big enough man to admit when you're wrong
Old 08-16-2002, 12:01 AM

what it take to make a 96 auto N/A into low 14s oh my god, what the h**l is this LS1,R1,killer top end and even rsx has to do with this thread,i still don't see how this help me,what MODS does it take to make a 96 auto into low 14s,if it's posible anyone
Old 08-16-2002, 12:19 AM

Nobody really sure if it's possible. Get all the bolt ons, slap a set of slicks on then see what you run. That's what Don is supposed to have done to run like a 14.2 or something. But these days, his times are in debate. Intake, Y-pipe, exhaust, everything else, better gearing, an lsd, high stall tc. Most people get forced induction-sc, nos simply because it's cheaper and easier to run low 14's that way instead of trying to make an auto run low 14's n/a. The 5 spd. guys barely get low 14's n/a, only a handful of them have done it.

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
what it take to make a 96 auto N/A into low 14s oh my god, what the h**l is this LS1,R1,killer top end and even rsx has to do with this thread,i still don't see how this help me,what MODS does it take to make a 96 auto into low 14s,if it's posible anyone
Old 08-16-2002, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

I like your high performance air freshner and PLaystation

It was said before that that site hasn't been updated recently. that stuff was in 3 days after I got the car. Its long gone now. Again, you show your idiocy.

I absorb myself in automotive knowledge. That's my hobbie and I've been doing it since I was 16 (I'm 28 now). I'm pretty certain I know WTF I'm talking about.

And? I grew up on cars. I'm the most "absorbed in the automotive industry" person people will ever meet!

What have I given to this Org? I give specific details about my mods and I dyno test them AND track test them. Everything is backed by tangible data.

This is for your own personal records right? Because it doesn't help anyone but you.

All I'm reading from you is a bunch of unsubstantiated BS about your "tuned for highway power" Maxima and highway kills. Play with intake pipe lengths all you want, the truth is you're limited by the intake manifold.

Who said I never touched it?

I'll let you figure that one out since you have so much automotive experience in your 15.5 second "Highway Beast".

If I come back with a mid to high 14 sec. timeslip will you slap yourself in the face?

I could care less that you're studying to be an engineer. The truth is you're still in school and really don't know jack about engineering yet. Guess what I do for a living? Here a link to the company I work for and make sure to read the scrolling info on the left. I'll let you figure it out. www.urscorp.com

Wastewater treatment? It suites you... BTW I'm in my final year. Mechanical Engineering BS here I come. Don't hate.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:29 AM

mech-e's are a dime a dozen where i go to school. hell i coulda done mech-e but decided film/animation was gonna be a helluva lot more fun

if you pull a low 14 w/ that setup, i'll be glad to slap myself in the face, then i'll slap YOU in the face to wake you up from the horribly distorted dream-state you call "life"
Old 08-16-2002, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by dmoffitt
mech-e's are a dime a dozen where i go to school. hell i coulda done mech-e but decided film/animation was gonna be a helluva lot more fun

if you pull a low 14 w/ that setup, i'll be glad to slap myself in the face, then i'll slap YOU in the face to wake you up from the horribly distorted dream-state you call "life"
My concentration is in design. BTW, low 14s are not that hard. Get real.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by theblue
lets get clee back in here to lock this thread down...
Actually that's not going to happen right now because Clee has actually seen Nightrider's car.
-Cyrus
Old 08-16-2002, 07:22 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
What's it take to go low 14s in a 4th gen auto??? BUY A FASTLANE PERFORMANCE INTAKE!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old 08-16-2002, 07:28 AM

BTW, low 14s are not that hard. Get real.
then why haven't you gotten real 14s? I personally witnessed theblue's runs, and go to the track where he goes (that's where I ran my 14.79). perhaps it is you who needs to get real and realize that a ghetto intake and taking some sandpaper and a dremmel to your intake manifold (or whatever the christ you think you did) isn't going to shave over a second off of your 1/4mi time.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:49 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Quoted Message (Dave B):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I'm reading from you is a bunch of unsubstantiated BS about your "tuned for highway power" Maxima and highway kills. Play with intake pipe lengths all you want, the truth is you're limited by the intake manifold.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who said I never touched it?

If I come back with a mid to high 14 sec. timeslip will you slap yourself in the face?

Wastewater treatment? It suites you... BTW I'm in my final year. Mechanical Engineering BS here I come. Don't hate. [/B]

This right here proves your automotive ignorance. You will never get "mad" topend from the stock intake manifold. The reason? Because the intake runners are very long and they become very turbulent after 5000rpms. This is why you see most 4th gen VQs choking after 5300rpms and power drops like an anvil. The only thing that you could do to make the stock manifold flow better is to cut the intake runners to a shorter length. Of course, this would kill your off the line acceleration and anything below 4500rpms. Also, I'd like to see how someone could reweld and rework the ports on the manifold after this was done. The JDM-variable 4th gen manifold or a SC is your only option in extending power past 5300rpms. No intake pipe will extend peak HP RPM.

As for your mid to high 14-second timeslip, talks cheap. Woulda, coulda, shoulda is a pointless argument here. Put up or shut up comes to mind. Most everyone on this Org has witnesses of their car running at the track and/or video. Posting a scanned copy of a timeslip does little for most of us because I've got a stack of over 200 timeslips (racing my Z28/Maxima) with ETs/MPHs of other cars running low 11s to high 13s and I could use any of the slips to "prove" my cars performance. I've got plenty of members on the Org that have seen my car in action at the track while running 14.6-14.7s@97mph+ consistently. Now I've got my VI installed and I know my car is significantly quicker, but you don't see me making any claims yet, do you?

BTW, if you would have kept reading, you would see that my company is the largest engineering firm in the world and we do geotechnical, environmental, mechanical, civil, and aero engineering (ie pretty much everything). I do environmental/geotechnical.

I suggest you give it up now because you're becoming more foolish with every post. I also suggest changing the name of you company because no one is going to take Fastlane Performance seriously anymore (maybe no ever did). BTW, if this company is so popular, why don't you have a website?

Dave
Old 08-16-2002, 08:21 AM

I'm just gonna chime in really quick since a fellow org member mentioned my name. After reading this entire post, I can honestly say that some people are really dilusional and thick headed.

I own a CBR900rr, hence my org name. I have been riding motorcycles since the age of 8. When I turned 18, I bought myself my first street bike as a birthday present (Happy b-day to me). I have since owned, raced, and maintained at least 4 different models and brands. Bottom line, I'm not a newbie to motorcycles. With that said, there is absolutely no way (barring breakage, boredom, or other unforseen mishap) that yours or anyone elses max is going to out run a liter bike. NONE. I'm not going to beat this one into the ground.

You are making others here really look foolish by association, so I'm not going to continue to give the maxima community a black eye by making false or misleading statements.

To answer the gentleman's initial question, and the reason for all this babble thereafter: The only realistic way that I personally see to get a 4th gen max deep into the low 14's N/A is to have a lot bolt ons (Y,intake,tranny work,ecu,etc.) and do some really inovative engine work. Without forced induction of some kind, it is going to be very difficult, as Shadow pointed out. I agree with him that consistent 14's are not that easy as some people seem to think. As others have also mentioned, Power to weight ratios play a very crucial role in 1/4 times, hence ricers that seem to have times near ours with a 4cyl.

I could go on and on about all the falacies and inconsistencies in this very amuzing thread, but I'm not. The really intelligent people can see thru smoke and mirrors.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:27 AM

OK ... time for lock-down. I think everyone's made their points.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

*cough* ................
Old 10-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Administrator

its still locked jeffy