4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my car is finally lowered!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 11:17 PM

my car is finally lowered!!!

i got my car dropped today with B&G springs and KYB AGX struts/shocks, sorry i dont have any pics yet, ill try to take sum in the next week or so...the B&G's give a 1.6 drop they say but theyre a slight bit lower than i thought and lower in the rear than in front, im an auto by the way so the difference isnt too noticeable unless u stick yur fingers in the gap...in the front i got three fingers in there smoothly...in the back i forgot to empty out my trunk so i still got sum old rotors in there which i also swapped out today for sum slotted/simple drilled..and also the old spring and struts so thats over a 100 lbs in the back weighing it down cuz in the back i barely got two fingers even in there, but in a week or two or few it'll settle out, prolly lower a little more but even out and be comfortable
is there anyway to make the ride a SLIGHT bit less bouncy/bumpy on uneven roads with potholes or bumps? cuz i remember NjMaxSELtd played around with his B&G/AGX setup cuz at first it was a little bumpy but then he got it to be alot smoother...i got my work done at jeffs shop-maximumm tuning in glen cove long island, great guy and great work at a great price, 100 bucks for the install cant be beat and in a just barely an hour..well anyhow, i have my AGX set to 2 in the front, 4 in the rear...should i reset that or is that good till they break in? is that wut might be causing the bouncing cuz its not on a stiffer setting? umm also my tires are real bad, low tread, and uneven wear which has caused my alignment to be off...the tires im getting new ones along with 17" rims, which i know will only make my ride stiffer but hey looks matter alot too man, do u think the settling in period and getting new tires and an alignment will smooth out the bumps/bouncing a little, or should i have trimmed the bumpstops a slight bit? i dont know if in order to do that imma have to get sum1 to take apart everything again and put it back together, i dont have money for that, i replaced my dustboots and bumpstops and wrapped the springs at the ends with polyurethane coil sleeves and jeff checked out everything else to see if anything was worn out but he said everything was fine...i jus want my car to be less bouncy and the drop to even out a bit more...can sum1 help me? by the way, mad props to ALL the guys out there who have gone thru the pain and money to drop their car
Old 08-13-2002, 01:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

whoa whoa whoa! Slow down man. I almost got scared off about three times during your extremely long sentence. If you want to get some quick help, keep your questions and experiences short and simple. Or add some Cliff Notes.

Anyway, about the bouncy ride...I'm not sure you should be feeling that. Have you even tried playing with the AGX settings yet? Try going up and see how you like it.

I'll let someone else answer in detail but in the mean time, try searching for some answers. Try using the terms "springs" and "bouncy".

(ugh, I just cringe when I see the long paragraph you wrote. Good luck)
Old 08-13-2002, 04:23 AM

bg's are awesome. the best springs i say. congrats on lowering your ride.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:09 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Which bump stops / dust boots did you use? If you used OEM stuff, you need to cut at least 1 or 2 rings off the front bump stop.

The rear OEM dust cover/bump stop is so big that with the B&G drop, you have no shock travel left. Thats why your car is bouncy. Your riding on rubber, not spring. Once you fix the rear, trust me, your car will ride much better.

You have 2 choices.

1) Remove the OEM dust cover and cut 2 nubs off the top of it, glue it back together using crazy glue.

2) Order the KYB rear dust boots and be done with it.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:14 AM
pjalst

****ATTENTION MEMBERS*******

It is against the rules to make a post about your new Mods without including a Pic!!!!!!

Don't let it happen again.

Old 08-13-2002, 07:40 AM

you also might want to give the 1/2 settting a try. I think it's the best for normal everyday driving.

KEvin
Old 08-13-2002, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Like Tom said, trim those bump stops (unless you're using the KYB's?)
Old 08-13-2002, 08:56 AM

congrats
Old 08-13-2002, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by pjalst
****ATTENTION MEMBERS*******

It is against the rules to make a post about your new Mods without including a Pic!!!!!!

Don't let it happen again.
Yah...it's like someone describe you about a really hot girl without be able to see her picture...
Old 08-13-2002, 11:07 PM

haha alright i got sum nice replies here..sorry bout the punctuation and long sentence/paragraph...it was late and i was sleepy...sorry i havent posted a single pic yet ever on the org its just that i dont know anyone with a digital camera, my friend who used to have one who i used to take pics with all the time left it at his cousins house for like the past year now
alright Njmaxseltd do u think u can please help me with trimming the OEM bumpstops(i just bought them, theyre brand new) if youre free anytime soon?? how much would that cost me? i know you can take apart suspension on this car in your sleep, so i know youre experienced with this stuff and i trust you..ill play with the settings too but i think what you said was right and it probably is it..you live in jersey right?
Old 08-14-2002, 01:10 AM
syc

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Which bump stops / dust boots did you use? If you used OEM stuff, you need to cut at least 1 or 2 rings off the front bump stop.

The rear OEM dust cover/bump stop is so big that with the B&G drop, you have no shock travel left. Thats why your car is bouncy. Your riding on rubber, not spring. Once you fix the rear, trust me, your car will ride much better.

You have 2 choices.

1) Remove the OEM dust cover and cut 2 nubs off the top of it, glue it back together using crazy glue.

2) Order the KYB rear dust boots and be done with it.
sorry to ask the following questions (I'm going to install my Progress/AGX. I'm just so confused after searching all the posts)
with progress 1.7" front, 1.5" rear on my auto, in your opinion,

1. with OEM front, I need to take out the front bumpstop from the dustcover and cut 1 or 2 rings of the bottom of the bumpstop? and stick it back to the dustcover. dustcover no need to be cut, right?

2. with OEM rear, the dustcover and bumpstop are in one piece from your other post. I had to separate the bumpstop from the dustcover and cut 2 nubs off the top of the dustcover? and cut 1 or 2 rings of the bottom of the bumpstop, right?

thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:18 AM

1. With that drop I sugest two rings, and no the dust cover itself does not have to be cut.

2. For the rear you should also cut two rings off the dust cover and use super glue to piece it back together.

Originally posted by syc

sorry to ask the following questions (I'm going to install my Progress/AGX. I'm just so confused after searching all the posts)
with progress 1.7" front, 1.5" rear on my auto, in your opinion,

1. with OEM front, I need to take out the front bumpstop from the dustcover and cut 1 or 2 rings of the bottom of the bumpstop? and stick it back to the dustcover. dustcover no need to be cut, right?

2. with OEM rear, the dustcover and bumpstop are in one piece from your other post. I had to separate the bumpstop from the dustcover and cut 2 nubs off the top of the dustcover? and cut 1 or 2 rings of the bottom of the bumpstop, right?

thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:37 AM

Yes I'm in New Jersey.

syc

Front - Remove bump stop from inside dust cover, cut 1 or 2 rings off, but bump stop back in and reinstall dust cover onto upper spring perch.

Rear - Remove dust cover/bump stop assembly. The neck of the rear dust cover IS the bump stop. Cut 2 of the lower rings off of the neck, then use a good super glue gel and glue it back together. Make your cuts nice and straight so you get a nice even surface to glue the pieces.

This is what the rear dust cover looks like. The neck is the top part, it's also the bump stop.

top|.| <-----Top Ring
cut|.| <-----These 3 rings is the bump stop part of dust cover.
cut|.| <-----Cut this ring and the one above it off.
--------- <----Glue this back onto the top ring.
|...........|
|...........|
|...........| <----- Dust cover
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|

Any questions?
Old 08-14-2002, 10:44 AM

does all of this require removing the struts/springs from the car again and putting them back in or can it be done without fully removing them?
Old 08-14-2002, 11:07 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: my car is finally lowered!!!

Originally posted by NyC97Max
i got my car dropped today with B&G springs and KYB AGX struts/shocks, sorry i dont have any pics yet, ill try to take sum in the next week or so...the B&G's give a 1.6 drop they say but theyre a slight bit lower than i thought and lower in the rear than in front, im an auto by the way so the difference isnt too noticeable unless u stick yur fingers in the gap...in the front i got three fingers in there smoothly...in the back i forgot to empty out my trunk so i still got sum old rotors in there which i also swapped out today for sum slotted/simple drilled..and also the old spring and struts so thats over a 100 lbs in the back weighing it down cuz in the back i barely got two fingers even in there, but in a week or two or few it'll settle out, prolly lower a little more but even out and be comfortable
is there anyway to make the ride a SLIGHT bit less bouncy/bumpy on uneven roads with potholes or bumps? cuz i remember NjMaxSELtd played around with his B&G/AGX setup cuz at first it was a little bumpy but then he got it to be alot smoother...i got my work done at jeffs shop-maximumm tuning in glen cove long island, great guy and great work at a great price, 100 bucks for the install cant be beat and in a just barely an hour..well anyhow, i have my AGX set to 2 in the front, 4 in the rear...should i reset that or is that good till they break in? is that wut might be causing the bouncing cuz its not on a stiffer setting? umm also my tires are real bad, low tread, and uneven wear which has caused my alignment to be off...the tires im getting new ones along with 17" rims, which i know will only make my ride stiffer but hey looks matter alot too man, do u think the settling in period and getting new tires and an alignment will smooth out the bumps/bouncing a little, or should i have trimmed the bumpstops a slight bit? i dont know if in order to do that imma have to get sum1 to take apart everything again and put it back together, i dont have money for that, i replaced my dustboots and bumpstops and wrapped the springs at the ends with polyurethane coil sleeves and jeff checked out everything else to see if anything was worn out but he said everything was fine...i jus want my car to be less bouncy and the drop to even out a bit more...can sum1 help me? by the way, mad props to ALL the guys out there who have gone thru the pain and money to drop their car
Old 08-14-2002, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by NyC97Max
does all of this require removing the struts/springs from the car?
YES
Old 08-14-2002, 02:49 PM
syc

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Yes I'm in New Jersey.

syc

Front - Remove bump stop from inside dust cover, cut 1 or 2 rings off, but bump stop back in and reinstall dust cover onto upper spring perch.

Rear - Remove dust cover/bump stop assembly. The neck of the rear dust cover IS the bump stop. Cut 2 of the lower rings off of the neck, then use a good super glue gel and glue it back together. Make your cuts nice and straight so you get a nice even surface to glue the pieces.

This is what the rear dust cover looks like. The neck is the top part, it's also the bump stop.

top|.| <-----Top Ring
cut|.| <-----These 3 rings is the bump stop part of dust cover.
cut|.| <-----Cut this ring and the one above it off.
--------- <----Glue this back onto the top ring.
|...........|
|...........|
|...........| <----- Dust cover
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|

Any questions?
Thank you njmax!!!