4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How High of boost can you run on a VI or V2

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 11:55 PM

How High of boost can you run on a VI or V2

I was wondering how high of boost can you run on a SuperC , I herd that the highest u can go on a stock maxima to be safe was 9psi...
Is that true?
Or can the Stillen superC just not go higher then 9Psi ?

Well what if

You used the same idea the turbo maximas are doing by building there motors with internals from a VQ30DET

would it work/help? vq30det internals on a superC setup?

then would u be able to run higher boost?

-ChRi§
Old 08-13-2002, 06:08 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

if you buildl up the engine, you can run more than 9psi with a SC
Old 08-13-2002, 06:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NickStam
if you buildl up the engine, you can run more than 9psi with a SC
I got a V2 and I am boosting 10 PSI, Mardigrasmax is boosting 13PSI, I dont know about others. It all depends on pulley size, if your running a CAI, if your auto or manual, and also if you have a V1 or V2, the V2 just has a bit better gearing. V2 is just as reliable as the V1 once you change out the pulleys from plastic to metal or alloy.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:39 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I thought with the 2.62 pulley, it started to overspin the S/C, and that was about as high of boost you could run safely...???
Old 08-13-2002, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JAY25
if your auto or manual,

I don't think it matters if you have an auto or manual Jaime. The boost should be the same. I asked Matt about this a long time ago, he told me it shouldn't matter.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:45 AM

Well if you can run as high as boost as you want then why does the superC fall short to Turbo? Why not build your motor, with Vq30det internals and push 15-18 pounds of bost? can it be done?

-ChRi§
Old 08-13-2002, 10:33 AM

Because it's not all about boost. Boost doesn't matter, it's the cfm's that matter. Your engine doesn't care what pressure the air is coming in at, just how much of it is coming in. A small turbo at 20 psi may not push as much power as a larger turbo at say 10 psi. Same with the SC, it just doesn't flow as much air as the turbo kits do. Keep in mind that the turbo kit available for the Maxima runs a pretty big turbo, that's why Nigel sees the numbers he does.

And there is a limit to how fast you can spin the SC. So there is a limit to how much boost you can run.

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
Well if you can run as high as boost as you want then why does the superC fall short to Turbo? Why not build your motor, with Vq30det internals and push 15-18 pounds of bost? can it be done?

-ChRi§
Old 08-13-2002, 02:59 PM

Thanks that helps alot, i guess the best way to go is, turbo...

-ChRi§
Old 08-13-2002, 03:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks that helps alot, i guess the best way to go is, turbo...
-ChRi§
Make sure you get an intercooler. It runs pretty hot with the Supercharger. I can only image how hot the engine bay gets with hot exhaust gases recirculating inside there with the turbo kit.

Nissan engines can take a beating but stay safe & stay cool.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by dashingMax

Make sure you get an intercooler. It runs pretty hot with the Supercharger. I can only image how hot the engine bay gets with hot exhaust gases recirculating inside there with the turbo kit.

Nissan engines can take a beating but stay safe & stay cool.
What if you build the motor, run a superC and shiiit load of nitrous too, would be posabale?
Old 08-13-2002, 03:34 PM
dko
duck and cover

What if you build the motor, run a superC and shiiit load of nitrous too, would be posabale?
anything's possible. you would need a MUCH beefier tranny, better wheels/tires and a few more things.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:31 PM

built engine: thicker gasket, dished pistons ect ect
sc: 2.xx pully
nitrous: 50 shot

could be done. has been done (i think). you could see a fast maxima but like dko said, traction becomes and issue, so does your tranny and over all health of the VQ
Old 08-13-2002, 04:34 PM

Then everyone, whats the best way to go , SuperC, Super/Nitrous, Turbo

What do you think and why?
Old 08-13-2002, 06:41 PM

well i know someone who had a fully rebuilt max, tranny, cams, bored, i mean every single aspect, he was runnin bout 16 pounds, i think u all know who im talkin about..... for he defines "sleeper"
Old 08-13-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
well i know someone who had a fully rebuilt max, tranny, cams, bored, i mean every single aspect, he was runnin bout 16 pounds, i think u all know who im talkin about..... for he defines "sleeper"

Who are you talking about?
Old 08-14-2002, 10:38 AM

Then everyone, whats the best way to go , SuperC, Super/Nitrous, Turbo
What do you think and why?
There are several threads on here that discuss Supercharger versus Turbo option for our VQ Maxima.
I debated that myself for several months & opted for the SC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Turbo option, but my requirements were not extremely high. My first and foremost MUST-HAVE was utmost reliability & all season driveability for a daily driven car. I have NEVER been to the drag strip & don't plan on it either. I am running a 3.33" pulley & although there are times, I feel like I could use a few more ponies, I refuse to go down on pulley size. I am satisfied with 250-260 wheel hp. I keep up with Z06 & have spanked Camaro SS, Corvettes...even a WRX.

Before you go any boosted route, open up that exhaust...minimum 2.5" axle-back. You can still safely get upto 300 wheel hp by going with a 3.125" pulley & Variable Intake. This option has been proven to be quite reliable...and you will not have 1000+ degree F exhaust gasses running through your engine bay.

IMHO, Nitrous is bad news for any application, so I will leave it out of this discussion. If you seek >300 wheel hp, Turbo is your ONLY choice. However, I agree with dko that all this power on Front wheel drive Maxima may not be very useful. You will require Limited Slip Differential, stronger engine mounts & definitely beefier Clutch at a minimum. You may also require to upgrade your MAF sensor & throttle body, for they were designed to work with 190hp & not 400hp!

So, based on your requirement, chose your route. Turbo will cost you more...including parts & installation. But with all additional upgrades, you may see yourself running high 12's.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by dashingMax

There are several threads on here that discuss Supercharger versus Turbo option for our VQ Maxima.
I debated that myself for several months & opted for the SC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Turbo option, but my requirements were not extremely high. My first and foremost MUST-HAVE was utmost reliability & all season driveability for a daily driven car. I have NEVER been to the drag strip & don't plan on it either. I am running a 3.33" pulley & although there are times, I feel like I could use a few more ponies, I refuse to go down on pulley size. I am satisfied with 250-260 wheel hp. I keep up with Z06 & have spanked Camaro SS, Corvettes...even a WRX.

Before you go any boosted route, open up that exhaust...minimum 2.5" axle-back. You can still safely get upto 300 wheel hp by going with a 3.125" pulley & Variable Intake. This option has been proven to be quite reliable...and you will not have 1000+ degree F exhaust gasses running through your engine bay.

IMHO, Nitrous is bad news for any application, so I will leave it out of this discussion. If you seek >300 wheel hp, Turbo is your ONLY choice. However, I agree with dko that all this power on Front wheel drive Maxima may not be very useful. You will require Limited Slip Differential, stronger engine mounts & definitely beefier Clutch at a minimum. You may also require to upgrade your MAF sensor & throttle body, for they were designed to work with 190hp & not 400hp!

So, based on your requirement, chose your route. Turbo will cost you more...including parts & installation. But with all additional upgrades, you may see yourself running high 12's.
Thanks man that wright up was awsome
Old 08-15-2002, 05:49 PM

Turbo95?
Old 08-15-2002, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Keh mon

Turbo95?

supercharger, v2, but the person he sold it to just recently totalled, it, such is life
Old 08-15-2002, 07:40 PM

I just wish we can see a maxima turbo charged, time slips...
Old 08-15-2002, 09:33 PM

supercharger, v2, but the person he sold it to just recently totalled, it, such is life
wow that sucks... hopefully the owner is ok
Old 09-06-2002, 10:30 AM

Sam, you just need to shut it....

-BTW I am the one that bought it
*yes i did have a fender bender(look at sig) ~1,000$ to fix
*no I did not total it....its just taking awhile to get back on the road because I'm doing some extra stuff while its down
*third thing sam, You don't know a damn thing done to this car...so your bored out crap, etc, needs to stop!!!

-Jared
Old 09-06-2002, 11:42 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Originally posted by 96bstdSE
Sam, you just need to shut it....

-BTW I am the one that bought it
*yes i did have a fender bender(look at sig) ~1,000$ to fix
*no I did not total it....its just taking awhile to get back on the road because I'm doing some extra stuff while its down
*third thing sam, You don't know a damn thing done to this car...so your bored out crap, etc, needs to stop!!!

-Jared
cat fight!