4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Premature death of my rear KYB AGX

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 01:23 PM

Premature death of my rear KYB AGX

I'd like to report about about premature death of my rear AGX and I wish I could have feedback about other owners who had similar experience.

I had a set of KYB AGX installed on my 98 GXE July 9th 2002 (just 5 weeks ago) and the rear shocks seem to be completely destroyed now. I ordered them from Cattman and had them installed by my local Nissan dealer. They are covered with oil (even on the adjustment *****) and the car bounces a lot. I had the shocks set at 2 (out of 8) since I got them. At the begining, a setting of 2 provided a nice firm ride. Now, I can put them even at 8 and it's almost like having no shock at all: when I push on my rear bumper with a pumping motion, I can easily gain amplitude and have the rear of the car swinging for about 6 inches of travel (maybe more). Both rear shocks seem to be in the same condition.

The front shocks seem OK: They are still firm (set at level 1) and there is no leak. I can push on the bumper with a pumping motion and the car almost doesn't move. When I drive, I can easily feel that the front is tighter than the rear.

Everything else on my car is stock except for an added front strut tower brace. I have stock springs with normal ride height and stock 15 inch steel wheels.

During these 5 weeks, my driving was just normal, with no special abuse. The hardest thing these shocks had to endure was a trip with the car loaded with 4 people and camping gear (trunk full and a roof box, heaviest objects being a tent and a big bag of clothes) (350 highway miles to go, and 350 miles back). I consider this is normal duty for a family car like this and I cannot accept that as an excuse for the shocks being dead.

Since I had the AGX installed, there is a strange noise coming from the rear suspension. It happens on certain kinds of bumps (not necessarily large ones), mostly dips, and the noise is a metallic ringing, like hitting with the palm of your hand on a gong or a large sheet of metal. I checked many of the common sources of noise I found on this forum but did not find yet. Could this have something to do with the defective shocks?

Is this exceptional? Will the same thing happen if I replace with identical shocks? Would Konis or another brand be more durable (keeping the AGX in front)?

There was an availability issue this summer with the rear AGX. Is it because there was a quality problem at the factory? It seems that Cattman had stocked many units, and they were among the few who could deliver in june/july.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:37 PM
I'm so hood

Is there a warranty on the shocks?

I can't remember seeing any other posts on here where someone's AGX's have gone bad right away. Though when I got my oem rear shocks replaced (by the dealership) when I bought my car, they became completely defective and spewed oil all over the place in about...oh, four or five days after the install. Took it back and got them replaced again with oems, no problems.

I don't think there's a whole lot to troubleshoot as far as incorrect shock installation goes. That's just my experience with a pair of bad shocks above.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it sounds very strange for them to go? you should be able to get them replaced for free if you are still on the factory springs.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:57 PM

Yes, what springs did you pair them with?

If used with stock springs, I'm pretty sure you can have them replaced.

However, with aftermarket lower springs (esp. stiff ones that lower more than 1.5"), I think they will not warranty that.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

they have 1 year warranty!!!!they are supposed to be very good shocks so they need to get replaced. Contact some one at AGX or Cattman and he should help you out. I think thats B/**** that you cant go below 1.5 thats a bunch of BS if thats the case then they should not even bother to make these Adjustable Tockicos!!!they are performance aftermarket shocks!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 06:53 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by psteng19
Yes, what springs did you pair them with?

If used with stock springs, I'm pretty sure you can have them replaced.

However, with aftermarket lower springs (esp. stiff ones that lower more than 1.5"), I think they will not warranty that.
cant you read "stock springs".

sliver98gxe - def sounds like blown blown shock. might wanna check with cattmann.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:12 PM

Yes, my springs are Nissan originals.

Ride was lower (maybe 1.5 inches or so) when the car was loaded for the camping trip (700 miles out of the 1800 since I have AGX). I think this must be considered as normal duty, though. And I thought high performance shocks would be tougher than originals...
Old 08-15-2002, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by JAY25
they have 1 year warranty!!!!they are supposed to be very good shocks so they need to get replaced. Contact some one at AGX or Cattman and he should help you out. I think thats B/**** that you cant go below 1.5 thats a bunch of BS if thats the case then they should not even bother to make these Adjustable Tockicos!!!they are performance aftermarket shocks!!!
AGX's have a limited lifetime warrenty
Old 08-15-2002, 09:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

first of all nisasn obviously screwed it up, never heard of this before, my agx's have been awesome on progress springs. but when u say clunking noise it makes me wonder if they forgot to put that washer in that goes right under the top of the shock, when u dont put that in the shocks dont activate and ur basically riding on springs, were they bouncy right from the get go? or did they start out nice then just blow.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:17 PM

cant you read "stock springs".
Heh, it was a long post... must've overlooked.
Cut me some slack

Regarding the 1.5+" drop, that's what the guy at KYB told me through e-mail.

And IIRC they DO have a lifetime guarantee.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:51 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune. I really hope Cattman takes care of you with the warranty stuff. I would hope that Nissan didn't screw up on your installation fo the KYB's, and I certainly hope they didn't charge you an arm and a leg for the install. I'd definately go back to them and complain, who know's maybe they might do something for you. On the other hand, I've heard that there have been some reliabilibty issues with KYB shocks in general. Very strange say the least. I got mine put in about a couple of weeks after you, now I'm starting to worry.

KEvin
Old 08-15-2002, 09:56 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

When you remove them for warantee repair... don't mess up the piston by using a vice grip or anything, otherwise they'll say it caused the leakage...
Old 08-16-2002, 05:04 AM

KYB and reliabilibty issues??? huh?

I have the gr-2; with is a step down from the AGX on for a year and no issues at all. They are great.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by 95Max
KYB and reliabilibty issues??? huh?

I have the gr-2; with is a step down from the AGX on for a year and no issues at all. They are great.
Not with Maxima's just in genreal with other cars. I'm prettty sure I read that somewhere.

Kevin
Old 08-16-2002, 06:55 AM
rmb

Re: Premature death of my rear KYB AGX

Originally posted by Silver98GXE
I'd like to report about about premature death of my rear AGX and I wish I could have feedback about other owners who had similar experience.

The front shocks seem OK: They are still firm (set at level 1) and there is no leak. I can push on the bumper with a pumping motion and the car almost doesn't move. When I drive, I can easily feel that the front is tighter than the rear.

Since I had the AGX installed, there is a strange noise coming from the rear suspension. It happens on certain kinds of bumps (not necessarily large ones), mostly dips, and the noise is a metallic ringing, like hitting with the palm of your hand on a gong or a large sheet of metal. I checked many of the common sources of noise I found on this forum but did not find yet. Could this have something to do with the defective shocks?

When you remove them to send them back for their lifetime warranty check the rods real carefully for scratches along their entire length. That, barring some horrendous hit, is the only thing I can think of that would make them blow their seals. The metallic sound might have been defective valving not letting the fluid pass, but it would have ridden like the shocks were locked out.

Make sure you call AGX and get a valid address/RMA # before you send them anywhere.

I've had mine on for about 8,000 miles so far with many heavy loads over long trips and no oil yet......

-RMB
Old 08-25-2002, 01:39 PM

I've found what happened.
I can see that the shaft has been held with a vise grip to tighten the
center bolt. It was held righ where the shock usually works - not just at the upper end. The job was done by my Nissan dealer - can you believe that?
Not AGX's fault...
Old 08-25-2002, 02:26 PM

When taking it to a shop of any kind I can beleive anything! LOL
Old 08-25-2002, 05:34 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Silver98GXE
I've found what happened.
I can see that the shaft has been held with a vise grip to tighten the
center bolt. It was held righ where the shock usually works - not just at the upper end. The job was done by my Nissan dealer - can you believe that?
Not AGX's fault...
I suspected that's what happened, but waited till this thread had more info before I chimed in!

There's no reason a shock should fail as yours did unless something was damaged during the installation. Pin your dealer up against the wall and have them replace them at no cost to you.

Please let us know how you make out.