4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-pipe does it sound different?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 03:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Y-pipe does it sound different?

If I install a new Y-pipe will it make a difference in the sound of the exhaust? Has anyone actually passed smog with one or have first hand knowledge of someone who has. All the threads say should pass but will it really? thanks
Old 08-15-2002, 03:49 PM

cant say much for sound, because every car ive been in with y, has had some sort of catback, so cant say much there....but my friend who has a cattman y, and stillen b, passed smog just fine
Old 08-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Keven97SE

Re: Y-pipe does it sound different?

A ypipe hooked up to the stock cat-back exhaust adds very little noise. The car will still be very quiet, although slightly less so. However, a ypipe on a car with an aftermarket exhaust adds a lot of noise. Even a quiet cat-back like the APEXi gets a lot louder (too loud for my taste) with a ypipe. If you want your car to remain reasonably quiet and already have an exhaust, you will likely not like the noise increase from the ypipe.

However, if you want to choose one or the other, the ypipe easily adds the most power with the least noise between the two. I would pick the ypipe hands down over the cat-back exhaust as the mod of choice (my opinion, of course).

Originally posted by fiskerelli
If I install a new Y-pipe will it make a difference in the sound of the exhaust? Has anyone actually passed smog with one or have first hand knowledge of someone who has. All the threads say should pass but will it really? thanks

Old 08-15-2002, 04:40 PM

BIG difference on my car. I had to take out the Y-pipe and put the stock one back on and it was sooo quiet with an aftermarket exhaust. I put the Y-pipe back on after I passed smog and it got alot louder.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:37 PM

I love the way mine sounds, I do have a cat back, and it is really loud tho, i hated it for about 2 days but have learned to love it so much, people tell me when i race and im on WOT that my car sounds turbo charged.. oh yeah i have a SS buget Y pipe

-ChRi§
Old 08-15-2002, 08:45 PM

I have a WSP Y with the stock catback....the exhaust is about 20% louder than stock.....I can actually hear the exhaust now...
Old 08-16-2002, 06:08 AM

Is the Y-pipe and Apex-i WS setup really that much louder?

Reason I asked is I am waiting on my WS, and I just made a deal for WSP ss Y-pipe with Meccanoble (thanks bro ).

I've heard that the WSP unit is quieter than most other units. Is this true?

RL
Old 08-16-2002, 12:27 PM
boo
Donating Maxima.org Member

I will be getting my y-pipe/b-pipe and metallic substrate Cat put on tomorrow. I am keeping the existing muffler (stock - I like as quiet as possible).

I'll post here and let you all know about any changes in sound!

Boo
Old 08-16-2002, 01:56 PM

Re: Y-pipe does it sound different?

You should pass if you get the exhaust hot before the inspection and the noise shouldn't be too much unless you get a bigger muffler.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My cattman ypipe made my stock muffler sound like its farting lol
Old 08-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the info everyone, How about the smog I haven't heard any concrete answers.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by boo
I will be getting my y-pipe/b-pipe and metallic substrate Cat put on tomorrow. I am keeping the existing muffler (stock - I like as quiet as possible).

I'll post here and let you all know about any changes in sound!

Boo
Hey, you should get this setup dyno'd. I think there are quite a few people who would like to see any possible gains from the metallic substrate cat.

RL
Old 08-17-2002, 02:55 PM
boo
Donating Maxima.org Member

After 4 hours of frustration I finally got the y-pipe/b-pipe/ms cat installed. The prob was the cat o2 sensor threads were stripped. I went and got the wrong one from the parts store and had to drive around with a hole in my pipe looking for an 02. The sound was so loud and annoying I think I lost my hearing. I eventually had to go to the dealer but lucky me my friend was behind the parts counter and gave me the o2 for $100. Normal price at dealer $145. Coulnt order online because the sound was ludicrous.

Anyway, I installed it and the loudness went away along with the sluggishness. There is hardly any sound change. I can here a slight purr when I start the car and a little purr when I slow down with car in gear. Normal driving no extra sound. Full throttle my Franken roars and I hear nothing from the exhaust.

Power: on a 95 degree 100% humidity day I could feel better pull through the high end and some power at the low. It's not Oh my God its amazing pull but it's there.

I tested on a quick strip and was able to hit 97mph at 6500 in third and the max felt like it could keep going in 3rd. At the track before the install I had to shift at 90mph in 3rd. Obvious improvement.

I also had my first race with a max while testing the car. My wife was with me and another ~95-98 max pulled next to me (had at least exhaust) he takes off I follow behind because a car was in front of me. We stayed the same until 80 then I start to pull but we had to slow down. All in All I am very happy!

I can't wait until the temp gets cooler. This car is going to fly!!

Sorry about the length lots to post - also prob with check engine but I'll start a new post

boo
Old 08-18-2002, 12:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

PASSING SMOG

thanks for the info everyone, How about the smog I haven't heard any concrete answers.
Just today I had my Y-pipe put on and smogged. It passed with no problems at all. I have a y-pipe and stillen high flow intake.

Maxipriest
Old 08-18-2002, 01:00 AM

When I added my y-pipe to my stock exhaust with Stillen muffler it was a huge difference. Before the ypipe, I could barely hear the muffler at all at any time but now with the ypipe everything seems to be very deep and alot of bass to the tone. I like the sound of it but sometimes I feel that its just too loud.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:48 AM

I have a 97 SE with a cattman y a random tech cat and a stillen b pipe. the tone is deffinatly much more apparent just above idle and under full throttle. but at idle with the AC off. I can't really hear much of a diffrence. The big diffrences are as follows.
Just above idle, so when your starting off or if the AC is on the muffler sounds much more aggressive. Just below 2k rpm there is a drone for a quick 100-200 rpm, but i think that has to do more with the lack of a resonator than the y pipe. If i leave the car in gear as i slow down or down shift up into the power back there is an apparant perfomance tone, but again its not over done... just enough to get someone's attention and get their mind rolling about what you might have under the hood.
I decided to run the OEM muffler because i didn't want the head turner car... i am aiming for a sleeper, as i think a maxima should be... i don't want someone lined up with me at a light to have any idea what is about to hit him. as far as passing SMOG, my state has some pretty strick laws so im not to sure i will pass, but thankfully i have a year and a half before i need to worry. hope this helps out.