4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5speed tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 07:02 PM

5speed tranny leak

my tranny is leaking from an opening at the bottom of the tranny.
there is a hole on the bottom of the tranny ( it must be a factory opening because its on my 99 max also ) . near this hole on the bottom of the tranny there is a plastic cover with two bolts holding the cover in place. it appears like you can see the clutch components. if oil is getting into the clutch housing is it the input seal? haven't seen posts on this. what is the cause of the leak and what is the best remedy. i've never worked on a tranny but i am a decent weekend mechanic
Old 08-16-2002, 07:21 AM

Re: 5speed tranny leak

Originally posted by xraytedrick
my tranny is leaking from an opening at the bottom of the tranny.
there is a hole on the bottom of the tranny ( it must be a factory opening because its on my 99 max also ) . near this hole on the bottom of the tranny there is a plastic cover with two bolts holding the cover in place. it appears like you can see the clutch components. if oil is getting into the clutch housing is it the input seal? haven't seen posts on this. what is the cause of the leak and what is the best remedy. i've never worked on a tranny but i am a decent weekend mechanic
If you're standing in front of the car looking down, is it the black plastic plug that is towards the driver's side wheel? If so, that's the back-up lamp/neutral position switch. The seal is very easy to replace and is common source of leaks on the 5 speed.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:01 AM

the plastic panel is on the passenger side of the car. there are no electrical connections or switches at the leak site. it seems like the oil is in the clutch bell housing where i believe it should be dry. do you think its the input shaft seal??
how much work would it be if it is?
what would you replace while the tranny is out.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:15 AM

http://www.css.tayloru.edu/~hheiner/...autoto5spd.htm
on the above page which is a auto to 5speed conversion
on line 4.26 there is a reference to the plastic cover i speak of.
it seems the flywheel is behind this cover . the oil is coming from an opening next to this cover.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it seems the flywheel is behind this cover . the oil is coming from an opening next to this cover.
Oil leaking into the bellhousing could be either from a leaking driven shaft seal in the transmission, or the crankshaft seal in the engine. Can you determine the viscosity of the oil? Is it thick like gear oil, or thin like motor oil? Either way you're looking at pulling the transmission to get at the source.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Oil leaking into the bellhousing could be either from a leaking driven shaft seal in the transmission, or the crankshaft seal in the engine. Can you determine the viscosity of the oil? Is it thick like gear oil, or thin like motor oil? Either way you're looking at pulling the transmission to get at the source.
its gear oil thats leaking
Old 08-16-2002, 09:30 AM

its gear oil thats leaking
Sounds like input shaft seal then. Gotta drop and open the tranny for that one. Your clutch is probably contaminated with oil.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:18 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I took my car in for a transaxel O ring seal that is leaking. Its where the driveaxel connects to the tranny. Not a big deal to fix that, I got a $70 estimate.
While they were looking at that leak, they found another leak. The same one described in this thread, next to the plastic cover where the flywheel is. They said The trans will have to be dropped and taken apart to see what exactly is leaking.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
I took my car in for a transaxel O ring seal that is leaking. Its where the driveaxel connects to the tranny. Not a big deal to fix that, I got a $70 estimate.
While they were looking at that leak, they found another leak. The same one described in this thread, next to the plastic cover where the flywheel is. They said The trans will have to be dropped and taken apart to see what exactly is leaking.
can you keep me posted as to what they find and how much the repair is?
Old 08-16-2002, 03:35 PM

Be careful. Don't get ripped off.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:53 AM

If you've got quite a few miles on the clutch, now would be a good time to replace it, if you are going to let them drop the tranny to investigate which seal is leaking.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by Stephen Max

If you've got quite a few miles on the clutch, now would be a good time to replace it, if you are going to let them drop the tranny to investigate which seal is leaking.
Exactly,
I am planning on installing an ACT clutch. Although my clutch is not slipping it won't last forever. No point in paying for the labor twice.
I am also considering a lightend flywheel. Currently doing research on the flywheels. Anyone have any expierence with the Unorthodox flywheel?
Old 08-19-2002, 02:55 PM

Im not sure but theis seal might just be replacable once the tranny is down... opening it might not be necessary.. But in the SR20DE 5 speeds this bearing often fails and the entire tranny needs to be opened and it be replaced.. Being that it is our smaller "sister" i would suspect you are having a similar problem and waiting could be EXTREMELY damaging to your tranny.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by cbr2

Im not sure but theis seal might just be replacable once the tranny is down... opening it might not be necessary.. But in the SR20DE 5 speeds this bearing often fails and the entire tranny needs to be opened and it be replaced.. Being that it is our smaller "sister" i would suspect you are having a similar problem and waiting could be EXTREMELY damaging to your tranny.
That's right, if it is the driven shaft seal in the transmission, the tranny needs to be opened up to replace it. Bummer.