4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Flashing AirBag Light...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 09:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Flashing AirBag Light...

Calm down Clee130.....
Yes I used the search and I plan on using the instructions to see if it is the R or L airbag that is defective....

But my question is has anyone had any problems after re-setting the airbag ECU? Like having the airbag accidentally go off? I will be out of the country for three weeks and wanted to know if I should let my car sit until I get back? The only person who would drive it would be my husband. Would he be safe if he for some reason wanted to leave his car at home and take mine?

Stefnee :-)
Old 08-16-2002, 06:21 AM

Reseting the airbag control module:

1) Turn the key off for at least 1 second, then turn it to the run position (don't start the car).
2) There's a switch in the driver's side door frame that turns the dome light on and off. Sitting in the seat, it will be near your hand if you extend your arm straight down. Press this button 5 times within 7 seconds.
3) turn the key off for at least 1 second, then back to on (not start).

Perform steps 1) through 3) twice. What this does is switch the module between "diagnose" mode to "user" mode. Stored fault codes will be cleared, and the module will look for system malfunctions. If there are no faults in the airbag system, the light should stop blinking. If your light won't stop blinking you should have the car checked out.

Good luck and be careful.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:04 AM
rmb

Re: Flashing AirBag Light...

Originally posted by stefnee
Calm down Clee130.....
Yes I used the search and I plan on using the instructions to see if it is the R or L airbag that is defective....

But my question is has anyone had any problems after re-setting the airbag ECU? Like having the airbag accidentally go off? I will be out of the country for three weeks and wanted to know if I should let my car sit until I get back? The only person who would drive it would be my husband. Would he be safe if he for some reason wanted to leave his car at home and take mine?

Stefnee :-)
I can't imagine what would make it accidentally go off. It's much more likely to just not work in a collision then go off for no reason. A whole bunch of sensors would have to fail in unison at the same exact time for it to discharge.

So don't hit anything and he'll be fine...

-RMB
Old 08-16-2002, 07:09 AM

A guy just posted a few days ago about having his airbag light reset. In the General forum, he has the thread about retarding and advancing the ignition w/o buying anything.

He had a guy from Nissan use a "consult" tool to hook up to his OBD2 and reset it that way. If the way someone just posted works to reset it also, it is probably substantially easier to do that. I think I would try and reset it as stated and see what happens. Maybe there is something really wrong with it and the sensors are being tripped for a good reason.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:34 AM

Re: Re: Flashing AirBag Light...

Originally posted by rmb

I can't imagine what would make it accidentally go off. It's much more likely to just not work in a collision then go off for no reason. A whole bunch of sensors would have to fail in unison at the same exact time for it to discharge.

So don't hit anything and he'll be fine...

-RMB
Mine was triggered when I was having alternator problems and my battery died. I suppose I should add to my last post. If you can identify a non-airbag related event that might have falsely triggered a fault code, then try a reset first. Otherwise take it to the dealer.

Airbags are not to be fooled with. They can kill you.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Flashing AirBag Light...

Thanks. I called Herb Gordon Nissan and they said it would not accidentally go off, but if I was in an accident they WOULD NOT deploy either. So, I get to drive the 01 while my car is in the shop.

Stefnee