4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

reply from trans go valve body upgrade for 4thgen auto...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 03:56 PM

I plan on calling a friend of my dads who does tranny work to find out what he will charge to install this...hope this helps some of you guys out there who are as sick of the lack of responsiveness from their automatic max. i emailed trans go today and this is what i got when they replied...louis
SK® RE4F04A
$49.50
Nissan Quest Altima Maxima DOHC RE4R01A
Mercury Villager 4F20E 4 speed
Corrects/Prevents/Reduces:
prevents direct clutch blowout caused by runaway line pressure; Burned 3rd
clutches; No 2nd; No 3rd after 3-2 or 4-2 kickdown
Direct clutch inner seal leaks, wears or opens due to rotating force;
Corrects soft 1-2 and 2-3

professional installation is advised 4-5 hours or more

Also recommended is a protection kit which includes a replacement cooler,
inline filter and Lubegard supplement for $49.95

We accept all major credit cards, Please call 800-776-1191
(503-284-0768) or fax 503-280-1655 to order.

Thank you for the inquiry, Greg

Old 12-14-2000, 04:44 PM

This can't be the same thing Don does can it?????

I mean $50, where does the other $400 come from. I have emailed them, but they haven't replied yet, so does anyone know how this compares to Don's VB mod????
Old 12-14-2000, 05:56 PM

could be. you never know. if you could charge 400 and get it wouldn't you.
Old 12-14-2000, 06:37 PM

Re: This can't be the same thing Don does can it?????

Originally posted by Victim64
I mean $50, where does the other $400 come from. I have emailed them, but they haven't replied yet, so does anyone know how this compares to Don's VB mod????

Do you really think Don uses $450 in parts? $50 seems right for the parts, and $400 labor, assuming 4-5 hours labor is not all that unreasonable. So I guess that's why Don charges for the $450 valve body mod. Who knows, maybe he got the idea from the trans-go kit? I dunno.

I bet with either mod, it will prolly be the same performance.

Old 12-14-2000, 07:01 PM

I suspect with either mod the performance will be the same. Since both alter the valve body to firm up the shifts(make shifts faster)performance should be the same. Trans-go makes very nice stuff. Like I mentioned on the other thread I have installed one of their kits, but on a different vehicle. I did it successfully, but it was by no means a "piece o' cake". I would suspect that Don has his own kit that he developed himself, surely. The price is probably for him to recover his R&D expenses in developing the kit, hopefully. I'm sure that his work IS quality. I will install the Trans-go kit on mine myself to save money and because I LOVE working on cars. If you're not up to installing the kit yourself, Don may be the best($) way to go. The first warm, dry Saturday that comes to Texas will be the day for my install! I'll post on results and installation when I do it!
Old 12-14-2000, 10:33 PM

Man, the trick is keeping everyone guessing, lol.

I ordered one of those kits this summer to see what it did and what it was about.

The kit requires you to go into the tranny (including the VB). Its very detailed, and more designed to solve long-term issues for ailing, high mileage trannies. Some of the parts include O-rings and seals, etc.

Its not designed for performance, but more for fixing short-comings (pre-mature wear), on some of these transmissions.

Its design is not near what mine is, when you get this kit you will see what I am talking about.

There's a reason its $49.

Oh yeah, If you buy a rebuild kit from Nissan (parts used to do my upgrade) it runs almost $200.

Don't forget to buy this before you start taking apart your tranny. You'll need an FSM, they don't include instructions on removing the VB or the rest of the tranny.

[Edited by Don in Texas on 12-15-2000 at 12:36 AM]
Old 12-14-2000, 10:44 PM

Hey Don???

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Man, the trick is keeping everyone guessing, lol.

I ordered one of those kits this summer to see what it did and what it was about.

The kit requires you to go into the tranny (including the VB). Its very detailed, and more designed to solve long-term issues for ailing, high mileage trannies. Some of the parts include O-rings and seals, etc.

Its not designed for performance, but more for fixing short-comings (pre-mature wear), on some of these transmissions.

Its design is not near what mine is, when you get this kit you will see what I am talking about.

There's a reason its $49.

Oh yeah, If you buy a rebuild kit from Nissan (parts used to do my upgrade) it runs almost $200.

Don't forget to buy this before you start taking apart your tranny. You'll need an FSM, they don't include instructions on removing the VB or the rest of the tranny.

[Edited by Don in Texas on 12-15-2000 at 12:36 AM]

How long till your website is up?? Just let me know when you are back in business, I think you still have my email, thanks....
Old 12-14-2000, 11:46 PM

Don, please post when your website goes up. thanks!
Old 12-15-2000, 01:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don you are correct SIR !!!!! >>>>>

I bought the Transgo kit about 6 months ago for $50 and looked at it. After I bought the kit I called the Transgo technical support and they told me the kit will firm up the shifts but it is not intended for performance, it is intended to solve or correct the shortcomings of the Nissan automatic transmission and to prolong its life. You almost have to take the whole tranny off to put this klit in. Now don't get me wrong this kit is a great kit, but I would actuallyuse this if I was to rebuild my transmission or if my transmission was coming off. If I just want to do performance and and not need to take my whole tranny off, I would go with Don's, in the long run, Don's is cheaper, because you can do it yourself, and you do not need to take the tranny off. I brought the Transgo kit to a transmission shop and they told me that it looks like they would have to take my tranny off, and the minimum they would charge me to do it was about $500 not including the fluids, gaskets, etc. So Don if you are reading this, If I plan on keeping my car, I will be purchasing a VB mod from you.
Old 12-15-2000, 02:07 PM

I spoke to Trans-go tech support myself yesterday. They were very helpful. Correct, the kit is not a "valve body only" kit. Nor is it a "complete overhaul kit". It is a complete valve body kit with SOME pieces to be used in complete overhaul. It is not marketed as a "performance" kit due to the fact that MOST Max. owners aren't trying to make their cars faster like us. Also, their "performance" specific kits do not shift smooth at around town speeds. But, a firmer,quicker 1-2 and 2-3 shift in my mind translate to performance. I think it will greatly improve performance just by doing the valve body. I plan to just do the valve body and leave the other parts from the kit in the box. Trans-go said this would be fine. This does not require removal of the trans. and can be done at home if you're pretty mechanical. SteveChicagoSC did just this and was pleased with his results. I'm going to try this just for money's sake and will take an e.t. before and after the job for true compairison's sake and will let everyone know. If it works like I expect--great, otherwise I will be saving up to do bus. with Don.