4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

has anyone changed an EGR valve?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

has anyone changed an EGR valve?????

check engine light came on, codes came up high, low flow EGR system. There is two EGR valves and a EGR solinoid valve. Does anyone know a way of checking which one it is? or should I just replace everything??
Old 08-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: has anyone changed an EGR valve?????

Originally posted by sundy
check engine light came on, codes came up high, low flow EGR system. There is two EGR valves and a EGR solinoid valve. Does anyone know a way of checking which one it is? or should I just replace everything??
I would check them both to see if either one is clogged. If you can get the bolts off! I tried replacing my egr valve last night and couldn't remove the large bolt that is attatched to it. It was rusted on tight and WD-40 wouldn't even help.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:30 PM

Re: has anyone changed an EGR valve?????

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=0302

Also, Haynes' mentions something about checking the valves to make sure they aren't stuck by pushing up on some diaphram on the EGR valve; unfortunatly I don't have a copy on hand so I can't say for sure.

I'm getting the same code and won't be able to deal with it until next week, so please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: has anyone changed an EGR valve?????

Originally posted by MAXINXS

I would check them both to see if either one is clogged. If you can get the bolts off! I tried replacing my egr valve last night and couldn't remove the large bolt that is attatched to it. It was rusted on tight and WD-40 wouldn't even help.
What parts did you have to remove to get at the valves ?It looks like you have to remove the throttle body to get at it?I heard you have to let the engine heat up before you try loosening it. please post back!
Old 08-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: has anyone changed an EGR valve?????

What parts did you have to remove to get at the valves ?It looks like you have to remove the throttle body to get at it?I heard you have to let the engine heat up before you try loosening it. please post back!
For the EGR valve, you need to remove the air intake duct from the throttle body and the air filter housing. The throttle body itself does not need to be removed. Then, detatch the vaccum line from the EGR valve. Disconnect the EGR pipe nut and mounting bolts. To remove the solenoid, unplug the connector. Detatch vacuum houses, and remove the mounting nut.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:46 PM

about a month ago...my cel came on and it was the egrc solenoid valve. i took it to dealer and they replaced one but after driving about 20min then the cel came on again...i took it back to them and they said the other one was bad also....so i changed both and then i was fine...only thing is that i really do not think the dealer checked to see which one was bad becasue they changed one and they said that was the bad one.. then i came back becasuea cel came on again and they said they didnt have the part for the second one. so they had to order. i think they just changed the valve that they had part for since the 2 valves are right next to each other....so then they ordered the other one and a couple days later had that one installed....i think they did it like this on purpose to just get more money from me....i do not plan on going back to dealer....
Old 08-18-2002, 03:53 PM

before you go and spend money to replace parts, check my thread first. i got the same code, 0302 right? everybody told me I had to change my EGR valve, oxygen sensors, and the dealer wanted money just to pull up codes. i ended up spending $2.00 for TB cleaner and my CEL hasn't come on in the past 4,000 miles.

cheak for clogs in the system before replacing parts