4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECU Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 11:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ECU Codes

alright everyone please help me here, what is up with all of these codes and if you kow what they are, are they going to be a pain to get fixed, what do i have to do!!! ahhhhh!!

EVAP Control System
EVAP Canister vent control
Fuel INJ Sys Right Right bank:rich
Old 08-18-2002, 06:48 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: ECU Codes

Since you didn't give the code values, it's a bit difficult to do so:

I ASSume:

0705 - EVAP Control System
DTC 0705

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0705 points to a problem with the Evaporative Emission Control System.

This malfunction is detected when the EVAP control system has a leak or the EVAP control system does not
operate properly. (EVAP = EVAPorative emissions.) Possible causes include...

- incorrect fuel tank vacuum relief valve
- incorrect fuel filler cap
- fuel filler cap vent remains open or fails to close
- foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- a leak in the line between the intake manifold and the EVAP Canister Vacuum Control Valve
- foreign matter caught in the EVAP CVCV
- leaks in the EVAP canister or fuel tank
- leaks in the EVAP purge line (pipe and rubber tube)
- EVAP purge line rubber tube bent
- blocked or bent rubber tube to EVAP control system pressure sensor
- loose or disconnected rubber tube
- EVAP CVCV and circuit
- EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve and circuit
- absolute pressure sensor
- tank fuel temperature sensor
- MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve and circuit
- blocked or bent rubber tube to MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve
- O-ring of EVAP CVCV is missing or damaged
- water separator
- EVAP canister saturated with water
- EVAP control system pressure sensor
- refueling EVAP vapor cut valve
- ORVR system leaks

This is a "jackpot" code. It points to so many possible causes as to be almost useless. It may be accompanied
by another DTC which is more specific.

Since it is a jackpot code, it's good you got this DTC, which further explains it:

0903 - EVAP Canister vent control

DTC 0903

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0903 points to a problem with the EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve. EVAP = EVAPorative emissions control system. This is the system which seeks to minimize air pollution which results from evaporation (as opposed to incomplete combustion) of gasoline.

The EVAP CVCV is located on the EVAP canister (underneath the vehicle near the left rear tire) and is used to seal the canister vent. It has one hose connection and one two-wire electrical connector. The solenoid in the EVAP CVCV responds to signals from the ECM. When the ECM sends an ON signal, the coil in the solenoid valve is energized. A plunger then moves to seal the canister vent. The ability to seal the vent is a necessary part of the diagnosis algorithms for other evaporative loss system components. This solenoid valve is used only for diagnosis, and usually remains open. When the vent is closed, under normal purge conditions, the evaporative loss system is depressurized allowing "EVAP Control System (Small Leak)" diagnosis. Since this part is used only for brief emissions tests the vehicle will usually start and run well despite a Service Engine Soon warning light on the dashboard.

The EVAP CVCV may be bench tested. Remove it from the vehicle (one hose, one connector, two bolts). Verify that air may pass freely through the valve. Then use a pair of fused test leads to apply 12 volts to the terminals to energize the solenoid. Verify that air does not pass freely through the valve. If the CVCV fails these tests, try cleaning it with WD-40 and compressed air. If this fails to free it up, replace the valve. When you install a CVCV (the original or a replacement) always use a new O-ring.

0114 - Fuel INJ Sys Right Right bank:rich

DTC 0114

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0114 indicates a problem with the fuel management system on the right cylinder bank. The right bank is also called the rear bank. It is cylinders 1,3,5.

The Front Heated Oxygen Sensor for the right bank sent signals to the Engine Control Module indicating an excessively rich fuel mixture. The ECM attempted to correct this problem by directing the fuel injectors to supply less gasoline. Further signals from the Oxygen Sensor indicate that the attempt to correct the rich mixture condition was unsuccessful, and the fuel mixture continues to be too rich.

Possible causes include ...
- Intake air leaks
- Defective Front Heated Oxygen Sensor
- Fuel injectors
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Lack of fuel
- Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor

Before tackling anything involving DTC 0114, I would bench test the EVAP CVCV first. It probably needs replacement. Then I would reset the ECU and see if the light comes back indicating you are still running rich on the rear cylinder bank. Most likely, the 0114 will be an Oxygen Sensor if replacing the EVAP CVCV didn't resolve everything..

Doing a search for the "0903" code in the 4th gen forum only will yield others experiences and what they did as well.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: ECU Codes

Originally posted by bill99gxe
Since you didn't give the code values, it's a bit difficult to do so:

I ASSume:

0705 - EVAP Control System
DTC 0705

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0705 points to a problem with the Evaporative Emission Control System.

This malfunction is detected when the EVAP control system has a leak or the EVAP control system does not
operate properly. (EVAP = EVAPorative emissions.) Possible causes include...

- incorrect fuel tank vacuum relief valve
- incorrect fuel filler cap
- fuel filler cap vent remains open or fails to close
- foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- a leak in the line between the intake manifold and the EVAP Canister Vacuum Control Valve
- foreign matter caught in the EVAP CVCV
- leaks in the EVAP canister or fuel tank
- leaks in the EVAP purge line (pipe and rubber tube)
- EVAP purge line rubber tube bent
- blocked or bent rubber tube to EVAP control system pressure sensor
- loose or disconnected rubber tube
- EVAP CVCV and circuit
- EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve and circuit
- absolute pressure sensor
- tank fuel temperature sensor
- MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve and circuit
- blocked or bent rubber tube to MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve
- O-ring of EVAP CVCV is missing or damaged
- water separator
- EVAP canister saturated with water
- EVAP control system pressure sensor
- refueling EVAP vapor cut valve
- ORVR system leaks

This is a "jackpot" code. It points to so many possible causes as to be almost useless. It may be accompanied
by another DTC which is more specific.

Since it is a jackpot code, it's good you got this DTC, which further explains it:

0903 - EVAP Canister vent control

DTC 0903

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0903 points to a problem with the EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve. EVAP = EVAPorative emissions control system. This is the system which seeks to minimize air pollution which results from evaporation (as opposed to incomplete combustion) of gasoline.

The EVAP CVCV is located on the EVAP canister (underneath the vehicle near the left rear tire) and is used to seal the canister vent. It has one hose connection and one two-wire electrical connector. The solenoid in the EVAP CVCV responds to signals from the ECM. When the ECM sends an ON signal, the coil in the solenoid valve is energized. A plunger then moves to seal the canister vent. The ability to seal the vent is a necessary part of the diagnosis algorithms for other evaporative loss system components. This solenoid valve is used only for diagnosis, and usually remains open. When the vent is closed, under normal purge conditions, the evaporative loss system is depressurized allowing "EVAP Control System (Small Leak)" diagnosis. Since this part is used only for brief emissions tests the vehicle will usually start and run well despite a Service Engine Soon warning light on the dashboard.

The EVAP CVCV may be bench tested. Remove it from the vehicle (one hose, one connector, two bolts). Verify that air may pass freely through the valve. Then use a pair of fused test leads to apply 12 volts to the terminals to energize the solenoid. Verify that air does not pass freely through the valve. If the CVCV fails these tests, try cleaning it with WD-40 and compressed air. If this fails to free it up, replace the valve. When you install a CVCV (the original or a replacement) always use a new O-ring.

0114 - Fuel INJ Sys Right Right bank:rich

DTC 0114

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0114 indicates a problem with the fuel management system on the right cylinder bank. The right bank is also called the rear bank. It is cylinders 1,3,5.

The Front Heated Oxygen Sensor for the right bank sent signals to the Engine Control Module indicating an excessively rich fuel mixture. The ECM attempted to correct this problem by directing the fuel injectors to supply less gasoline. Further signals from the Oxygen Sensor indicate that the attempt to correct the rich mixture condition was unsuccessful, and the fuel mixture continues to be too rich.

Possible causes include ...
- Intake air leaks
- Defective Front Heated Oxygen Sensor
- Fuel injectors
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Lack of fuel
- Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor

Before tackling anything involving DTC 0114, I would bench test the EVAP CVCV first. It probably needs replacement. Then I would reset the ECU and see if the light comes back indicating you are still running rich on the rear cylinder bank. Most likely, the 0114 will be an Oxygen Sensor if replacing the EVAP CVCV didn't resolve everything..

Doing a search for the "0903" code in the 4th gen forum only will yield others experiences and what they did as well.
thanks a lot for taking your time to write this all up for me. you helped me a lot. i will check it out right away tonite after work, if i need more help i hope you are back online tonite!!

thanks a bunch!!!--- i really appreciated your time and help!!
Old 08-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: ECU Codes

Originally posted by jvare79

thanks a lot for taking your time to write this all up for me.

You're welcome, but credit is really due to Daniel B. Martin, who isn't here anymore but thank God his posts are. All I did was use my Haynes Manual to discern the code numbers to your descriptions and then searched here for their explanations. My only real contribution was at the end, and that's just due to what I see here day in and day out. That evap canister probably needs replacing and so does one of your oxygen sensors.

you helped me a lot. i will check it out right away tonite after work, if i need more help i hope you are back online tonite!!

thanks a bunch!!!--- i really appreciated your time and help!!
If no one is helping or is able to, just those 4 digits for the code values in the search function (you may want to specify 4th generation forum only) can give you some great pointers, some from members who don't frequent here enough to be on all the time.