4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help with Autometer fuel pressure and EGT gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

need help with Autometer fuel pressure and EGT gauge install

Yes, I searched, but it was kind of confusing.

So, where should I tap the sensor of the EGT gauge? I have a pre-existing hole located on the exhaust manifold. The hole was drilled for my old Apexi EGT gauge. Can I reuse that? Or do I have to drill into the ypipe? And where do I drill on the ypipe? The location near the first O2 sensor? Please explain as simply as you can.

Next is the fuel pressure gauge. Where do I tap that into? I'm thinking it has to be tap with a tee to one of the fuel lines right? Which one? The fuel filter one(upper or lower)? Or the one to the fuel rail?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-18-2002, 03:02 PM

Mike, I'm surprised you didn't find any of my posts about the location.

As far as the FP tapping. You can either tap it in before or after the fuel filter. Just use brass fittings and use some teflon paste.

The probe for the EGT can go in a few spots. Peopel will always debate where it shoudl go. You can take the header and stick the probe in there. I'm just not find of replaacing the header a few months or even years later down the road when selling the car. I personally tapped mine at the Y-pipe. I had teh Stillen Y and i tapped it right where the pipes met - After the second d/p from the reare side of the engine. I reason why i did it there was b/c there isnt much if temp change from the header to the d/p. I wanted the EGT probe to read the temp from all cyl, not just the 3 front or 3 rear.

I hope this helps. PM me if you want more help.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:04 PM
Ramius83

Both of your EGT gauges should use the same sized hole, I think 1/8" NPT is the right size. You ought to be able to screw it right in. If not, go ahead and plug that hole in your exhaust manifold and drill a new hole right where your 2 down-pipes meet on the y-pipe and weld a 1/8" NPT nut/fitting on there. Either two will work just fine.

As for the fuel pressure gauge. You will need to make a T fitting from plumbing parts, like from Home Depot, ACE hardware, or Lowe's. You will want to place the T fitting on the upper fuel hose, the one after the fuel filter so that it does not get clogged up. If you have anymore questions, please ask.

Old 08-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks guys.

The fuel pressure gauge shouldn't be too hard, I think I know what to do.

Hopefully, my old EGT gauge hole will work with this one. If not, then I have to drill into the ypipe. Then, I'm sure I'll have more questions for you guys.