4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

screwing in clear corners

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

screwing in clear corners

I've had my clears for a while now, but they're not screwed in. only held in by the ball and socket joint. I tried screwing them in once, but my screw was too short! i have washers laying around, but i need longer screws. Anybody know which kind i could use? i dun know nething about screws, but how would i request the same thread but a longer screw at a hardware store?
Old 08-19-2002, 05:57 PM

ask them just that?? bring the screw with you...
Old 08-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Dev

Re: screwing in clear corners

Originally posted by aznsap
I've had my clears for a while now, but they're not screwed in. only held in by the ball and socket joint. I tried screwing them in once, but my screw was too short! i have washers laying around, but i need longer screws. Anybody know which kind i could use? i dun know nething about screws, but how would i request the same thread but a longer screw at a hardware store?
I had the same problem...went to home depot and i believe i got screws made for screwing into wood, because those threads are the closest match to the clear corner screws.
they shaved off the tip for me as well.
i put in a rubber washer on the outside and a metal washer on the inside and screwed it in.
have a magnet handy cause you'll drop them all over the place...i just waived the magnet and picked up the screws that got stuck in the flap next to the tires.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:03 PM

Re: Re: screwing in clear corners

Originally posted by Dev

I had the same problem...went to home depot and i believe i got screws made for screwing into wood, because those threads are the closest match to the clear corner screws.
they shaved off the tip for me as well.
i put in a rubber washer on the outside and a metal washer on the inside and screwed it in.
have a magnet handy cause you'll drop them all over the place...i just waived the magnet and picked up the screws that got stuck in the flap next to the tires.
wow, thanks. how thick were your rubber washers? im thinking that if there are no washers in between the clear and the outside... that when you screw in the clear, it will go in to far?
Old 08-19-2002, 07:13 PM

try this:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=clear+corner

I'm having second thoughts about securing my clears. People here have had their cars screwed up badly after thiefs were unable to steal their secured clears.

Using a rubber washer may be better than a steel washer. At least then the thief can steal them if he wants them.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:41 PM
Dev

Re: Re: Re: screwing in clear corners

Originally posted by aznsap

wow, thanks. how thick were your rubber washers? im thinking that if there are no washers in between the clear and the outside... that when you screw in the clear, it will go in to far?
the rubber washers were about 2mm thick, which condense as you tighten the screw, but i put it there so that the clears are flush with each other. without the washer, the sidemarker is inside while the indicator is outside and its not even.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: screwing in clear corners

Originally posted by Dev

the rubber washers were about 2mm thick, which condense as you tighten the screw, but i put it there so that the clears are flush with each other. without the washer, the sidemarker is inside while the indicator is outside and its not even.
hey, thanks a lot. one more quick question. for the screws that u had to get, do u remember how long they were? or how much longer than the ones that we had taht were too short?
Old 08-19-2002, 07:58 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by kmax
try this:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=clear+corner

I'm having second thoughts about securing my clears. People here have had their cars screwed up badly after thiefs were unable to steal their secured clears.

Using a rubber washer may be better than a steel washer. At least then the thief can steal them if he wants them.
Who had their car keyed? I just thought there was talk about someone getting their car keyed if a thief couldn't get them off. Has this actually happend to someone?

Old 08-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pjalst

Who had their car keyed? I just thought there was talk about someone getting their car keyed if a thief couldn't get them off. Has this actually happend to someone?
check this thread out
Old 08-19-2002, 09:24 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by ORBRIT

check this thread out
Ok, so he ran into a vendictive thief,My guess is that it doesn't happen too often.