4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing chain noise : TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 07:59 PM

Timing chain noise : TSB?

Hello all,

My car gave me this sound of hammer hitting a metal cover in the past two days upon start up (70 degrees outside). Seems to me that it's time for me to spend 1000+ more to install timing chain tensioner/new timing chain.

Now, my question to you, is there a TSB that will warrant me a free (I know, seems impossible for me) replacement of tensioners?

I asked this because I did search and someone mentioned about this TSB applied for 95-96 model year. My car is 1997 model with 12/96 manufacturing date.

Thank you for your help!

ps: If I pour more oil to the engine, will this help? I asked this because this time when I changed my oil, I only fill up 4.2 quart of Amsoil 0w30 instead of the usual 5 quart of Castrol Syntec 5w30.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:18 PM

Re: Timing chain noise : TSB?

I only fill up 4.2 quart of Amsoil 0w30 instead of the usual 5 quart of Castrol Syntec 5w30. [/B]
5 quarts of oil?! You filled it right the last time.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Timing chain noise : TSB?

Originally posted by ardika
Hello all,

My car gave me this sound of hammer hitting a metal cover in the past two days upon start up (70 degrees outside). Seems to me that it's time for me to spend 1000+ more to install timing chain tensioner/new timing chain.

Now, my question to you, is there a TSB that will warrant me a free (I know, seems impossible for me) replacement of tensioners?

I asked this because I did search and someone mentioned about this TSB applied for 95-96 model year. My car is 1997 model with 12/96 manufacturing date.

Thank you for your help!

ps: If I pour more oil to the engine, will this help? I asked this because this time when I changed my oil, I only fill up 4.2 quart of Amsoil 0w30 instead of the usual 5 quart of Castrol Syntec 5w30.
Your car isn't that old, maybe you can get the work done for free if you still have an active powertrain warranty?
Old 08-20-2002, 11:49 AM

Re: Re: Timing chain noise : TSB?

Unfortunately, my car is at 118k as we speak, and I did expect to have the timingchain (have been saving money for this) replaced at around 135k-150k.

About the oil thing, well.... everytime I go to quick lube places, they show that Maxima wants 5 quart of oil.

I know that there is an issue with hidrolock (oil overfill), but since the engine has a "breather" (the hose that from cam cover to the accordeon section of the intake pipe), I believe hidrolocking will happen if we overfill the engine oil significantly more than the spec (6 quart?). But, quite frankly, I am not an expert in this subject so I will stand corrected the opposite is true.

For the timing chain, guess I need to bring it to the dealer once I am back in Madison....
Old 08-21-2002, 05:22 PM

When you change timing chain tensioner, how about other things?

Hello all,

For those who have gone through this process (having the chain/tensioner replaced), what kind of other items that might be "replaced" while you are there?

My Maxima has 120k right now, and I just want to do a thorough repairs of other things as well.

Here is what I am thinking:

Timing Chain/Tensioner/Sproket (might not necessary)
Water Pump (while you are at it)
Alternator (my dash light dims whenever I press the brake pedal)
Recharge AC (it's not cold anymore)
Compression test (perhaps)
Check Termostat (sometimes the temp gauge needle "shakes")

...and I understand that all this might cost around US$ 1400 at the dealer (I know, it's a lot of dough), but let me know if you guys think some other things.

Thank you!
Old 08-22-2002, 09:41 AM

I got my timing chain, tensioners,sprockets and guides all changed for 1035 including tax.Nissan wanted almost 1300+tax for the same job.I also got a 12000 mile warranty from the mechanic and i think nissan also gives that.I suggest getting it done as soon as possible and when you are there clean the intake manifolds and the EGR system as it will be clogged if your system is working fine.i have 118000 miles on my 95 mAx.
take care,
Jay
Old 08-22-2002, 03:07 PM

Thanks Jayanth!

Actually, my Max has the same mileage of your...118k....what a coincidence.

Now, where is your mechanic located? I live in Milwaukee, WI, but I could always drive a few miles or so to find a good mechanic.

I am listening!

Originally posted by jayanth
I got my timing chain, tensioners,sprockets and guides all changed for 1035 including tax.Nissan wanted almost 1300+tax for the same job.I also got a 12000 mile warranty from the mechanic and i think nissan also gives that.I suggest getting it done as soon as possible and when you are there clean the intake manifolds and the EGR system as it will be clogged if your system is working fine.i have 118000 miles on my 95 mAx.
take care,
Jay
Old 08-23-2002, 12:18 PM

Re: Thanks Jayanth!

Originally posted by ardika
Actually, my Max has the same mileage of your...118k....what a coincidence.

Now, where is your mechanic located? I live in Milwaukee, WI, but I could always drive a few miles or so to find a good mechanic.

I am listening!

sorry couldn't reply earlier.I am in Paducah, KY about 12 Hrs drive i think.It's not worth making the trip.I think anything around $1200 is a decent quote.It's a tough job...but if you want to make the trip i'm there to help you
take care,
Jay
Old 08-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Disco Biscuit

Listen, its all about oil pressure. I have had this problem for about 50k and I'm currently at 155k. My mechanic (Ex Nissan) suggested using Motor honey, every couple oil changes. It has solved my problem, and I have saved around $1000..............
Old 08-23-2002, 12:44 PM

First, never trust quick lube places, trust your owner's manual or us. The Max takes 4 1/4 quarts of oil if you change the oil filter as well. Before you go splurging big $$ on the timing chain, try some cheaper approaches. The noise at startup is most likely due to decreased oil pressure, and less likely that the tensioner is broken or the timing chain is stretched. The quick lube place probably uses very cheap oil filters with no anti-drain valves. I guess you take the car to quick lube places and bring your own Castrol syntec? I would try this: run an STP motor flush, it will free up any gunk in the oil galleys, and use a different oil, for example Valvoline 10W30 Maxlife. The Amsoil 0W30 may simply be too thin for your car. Oh, and make sure you use a quality oil filter. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2002, 11:20 AM

Thanks for those who replies to me: Another update

Guys,

Talking about quick lube places, yes, they used FRAM orange filter with the Castrol Syntec 5w30.

Now, in the last oil change, I change the oil myself with Amsoil 0w30 and use Nissan OEM oil filter. So, those two are checked.

About the noise, THERE IS A TSB for model year 97-99. I did visit Andrew Nissan here in Madison, and the service manager was kind enough to talk about this problem for 1 hour with me. He gave me a TSB for the tensioner only (basically change the tensioner) for US$ 275 parts and labor. They did print the TSB for me and I have the copy of it.

Complete changeover of sprockets and guides are about US$ 1600 including all parts and labor (where they have to change and replace everything).

However, before bringing the car in, the service manager suggested me to check the noise, whether it's coming from the bottom part of the timing chain cover, or the upper part.

I bought mechanic stetoscope (you know, the one doctor use, but it's for isolating engine noise) yesterday and tried to diagnose this issue this morning (first startup).

Guess what, there is no noise at all! Which is good, but I will try diagnose this problem again tomorrow in the morning and let's see if this problem comes back.

I personally believe that I don't have to spend US$ 1000 for this (change sprockets, all guides and chain), but instead I would spend US$ 275 for the TSB alone.

In the mean time, just like you guys suggested, perhaps I should use Amsoil 5w30 next time. This noise just came up about a week ago, and hopefully it's all good and dandy.

Thanks guys,

Armand
Old 08-24-2002, 11:43 AM

FRAM sux. Last time I was at this quick lube place they used FRAM also. I swear I can feel the difference in my car after using FRAM filter. I prefer the Mobile filter myself. I just happened to ask what kind of filter and oil they were using, and the guy got this huffy attitude just because my car was modded and I was asking questions (wtf?). He was trying to convince me that it didn't make a difference which oil filter you use. Obviously there have been studies that prove otherwise. I think out of all the oil change place I have seen, for some reason I have only seen one of them get the oil capacity right. For some reason they are always overfilling Maxima engines by at least .25 quarts. Every time I tell them 4.25 again with the huffy *****-a$$ attitude like wtf are you to question me the professional . I guess thats what I get for being too lazy to do it myself.