4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The ongoing Maxspeed saga

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 02:29 PM

The ongoing Maxspeed saga

Quick background.

The mechanic installed my Maxspeeds upside down. The rears with the closer-spaced coils on the bottom and the farther-spaced coils on the top. (See this thread for pic http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=2)

I was getting a ton of noise out of the rear and took the vehicle back to him. Part of his explanation to me at the time was that the springs were moving/rotating on the strut because they are shorter than the stock springs. I insisted that he installed them upside down and he re-installed them the right way.

They are now installed the correct way. However, I was in Buffalo, NY (I'm from Boston) and my best friend back there owns hiw own shop in South Buffalo. He put the vehicle in the air and confirmed that the springs are now installed correctly, but the springs DO MOVE on the strut. I turned them by hand. They turn/rotate on the strut without a load where the bottom end of the spring turns away from the spot in the strut plate where it should fit against (excuse my crappy explanation). He didn't know why but speculated that I may have received the wrong springs for the car.

Anyone else ever hear about this issue?

Thanks,

M

Old 08-21-2002, 03:12 PM

forgive me for being mr obvious, but is the nut that goes on top of the strut mount(the nut that threads directly in the shock piston. you have to tighten this from the trunk) tightened all the way down?
Old 08-21-2002, 05:01 PM

Yup

My friend and I took the impact wrench to that nut before putting it in the air. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

M

Originally posted by hokiemax
forgive me for being mr obvious, but is the nut that goes on top of the strut mount(the nut that threads directly in the shock piston. you have to tighten this from the trunk) tightened all the way down?
Old 08-21-2002, 05:46 PM

Re: The ongoing Maxspeed saga

Meezer,

I did suspect that you got the wrong springs since mine does not have smaller diameter on the bottom.

There is one thing to check on this. If you look at your KYB Rear shocks, the part that contacts the spring should look like this:

_____/-------

and your bottom end part of the springs should fit into the "notch" to be like this:

spring/-------

This will prevent the spring to be "rotating" even without tires on the ground (no load).

You know, I just found out that I installed my KYB facing outside, while it should have been facing inside (for easy access, but it's not catastrophic/dangerous in any way.

Hope this makes sense to you!
Old 08-21-2002, 06:21 PM

Re: Re: The ongoing Maxspeed saga

Hey man, that makes perfect sense. Herein lies the problem. The bottom end of the spring is rotating away from the notch.

____/-----

<----- rotation

spring___/-------

Does that make sense?

M

Originally posted by ardika
Meezer,

I did suspect that you got the wrong springs since mine does not have smaller diameter on the bottom.

There is one thing to check on this. If you look at your KYB Rear shocks, the part that contacts the spring should look like this:

_____/-------

and your bottom end part of the springs should fit into the "notch" to be like this:

spring/-------

This will prevent the spring to be "rotating" even without tires on the ground (no load).

You know, I just found out that I installed my KYB facing outside, while it should have been facing inside (for easy access, but it's not catastrophic/dangerous in any way.

Hope this makes sense to you!
Old 08-21-2002, 06:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: The ongoing Maxspeed saga

Meezer,

As long as the spring is seated at the notch, I don't think you could rotate them freely (they will rotate if you force them.

When I tried rotating my spring, I was not able to do so. I believe the only factor that preventing the spring from rotating is the tightness of your piston nut (mentioned by the above poster) and the notch.

Make sure the nut is really tight, and everything is seated properly.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by meezer
[B]Hey man, that makes perfect sense. Herein lies the problem. The bottom end of the spring is rotating away from the notch.

____/-----

<----- rotation

spring___/-------

Does that make sense?

M
Old 08-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: The ongoing Maxspeed saga

I think what you are describing is totally normal. With no load--heck, with the car jacked, negative load--the spring certainly can move away from the notch when turned by hand. Under load is a different story. Heck, with the shorter lowering springs, you don't even need a spring compressor when you install them. It's not as if the springs are exerting much pressure on the spring mounts when the car's weight is not compressing them... Tightening the center not will not is not the problem--the torque specs for those are VERY low. Just position them correctly and unjack the car back down to the ground.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The ongoing Maxspeed saga

Originally posted by Mishmosh
I think what you are describing is totally normal. With no load--heck, with the car jacked, negative load--the spring certainly can move away from the notch when turned by hand. Under load is a different story. Heck, with the shorter lowering springs, you don't even need a spring compressor when you install them.
Mishmosh is correct. Don't worry about your lose springs when the car is jacked off the ground. They are never going to move when the car is back on the ground. I did an install of Sprint springs where the guy cut one coil off the back to make the car sit level. The springs were very lose when the car was off the ground. We just made sure they were lined up correctly when we put the car back down.

Your springs are fine - ENJOY THE RIDE!

Tom