4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

resurfacing rotors minimum thickness spec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 02:42 PM
supertool

resurfacing rotors minimum thickness spec?

Hi. I need to have my rotors resurfaced again.
I have new brembos in that got warped, and I also have my old spare rotors out. I would rather resurface those so I don't have to do the labor twice. Those are also warped. Does anyone know what the minimum thickness is beyond which the rotor should not be turned? I want to make sure I am above spec before I have them turned. I basically have 2 sets of rotors cus these suckers get warped every few miles on me. Also, if someone can give me the nissan part number on front shims, that would be great, because the Nissan pads I bought don't come with shims.
Mostly I want the thickness spec though.
Thanks

Old 08-26-2002, 03:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: resurfacing rotors minimum thickness spec?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by supertool
[ Does anyone know what the minimum thickness is beyond which the rotor should not be turned? I want to make sure I am above spec before I have them turned.

Front Runout 0.08mm 0.0031in Wear limit 20.0mm 0.787in
Rear Runout 0.15mm 0.0059in Wear limit 08.0mm 0.310in
Old 08-26-2002, 04:45 PM
supertool

Thank you.

Does that mean that as long as the rotor is 20mm+ thick I am fine?
Thanks,

Old 08-26-2002, 04:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Thank you.

Originally posted by supertool
Thanks,
Yes, according to Nissan FSM. FSM doen't give part numbers for shims
so I can't help you out there.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:24 PM

Also, if someone can give me the nissan part number on front shims, that would be great, because the Nissan pads I bought don't come with shims.
I don't have the part # for the front shims since I only had to replace my rear shims. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that the shim kit pkg. came with anti-squeal goop so you don't have to buy your own.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:09 PM

If you're going to use OEM spec rotors, you're much better off to buy them new than to have used ones resurfaced. I bought middle of the line rotors at NAPA for < $40 each. After 13K miles the stops are still smooth as glass.

Regardless of whether you use new or resurfaced rotors, make sure you follow the break in procedure: drive at 40 MPH for 1/4 mile, brake moderately to a near stop, repeat 12 times. Try not to come to a complete stop during the break in.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:16 PM

Hi. I need to have my rotors resurfaced again.
I have new brembos in that got warped, and I also have my old spare rotors out. I would rather resurface those so I don't have to do the labor twice. Those are also warped. Does anyone know what the minimum thickness is beyond which the rotor should not be turned? I want to make sure I am above spec before I have them turned. I basically have 2 sets of rotors cus these suckers get warped every few miles on me. Also, if someone can give me the nissan part number on front shims, that would be great, because the Nissan pads I bought don't come with shims.
Mostly I want the thickness spec though.
Thanks
I wonder why you keep warping rotors. When you put wheels back on, do torque them down properly or just tighten them? After several hard stops, do you let the brakes cool down slowly with air moving through them? After a hard stop, do you leave your foot on the brake pedal, leaving the pads in contact with the rotor to ask as a heat sink? All these are factors that contribute to warped rotors.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:57 PM
supertool

I just got new rotors recently. I don't want a third pair even at $40. A place around here charges $10/rotor to resurface them.
As far as all these break in procedures, that's the first I heard of them. I don't think about how I use the brake much. I do have ABS and I have automatic, so yes, I keep foot on brake when I stop. I personally torque them properly and correctly. I don't know if everyone who ever torqued my wheels rotating the tires or whatever does. After I turn these rotors again I will try breaking them in proper. Thanks for the info everyone.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by supertool
Thanks,
I can attest to this. My rotors was 17 mm thick and complete brake pad (of course worn one) fall out 3 times. Now I have 21 mm at one and 23 mm at another.