4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what a fuking $hitty day!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:15 PM

what a fuking $hitty day!!!!

but it ended well. i was cruising over to my rents house and gunned it a little too hard and started seeing smoke coming from under the hood, stopped and popped the hood, anti-freeze had sprayed behind the engine and a little on top on the passenger side. overflow tank was empty, so, went over to pep boys and asked if they could top off the tank but i did'nt look in the rad. after i saw the temp gauge rise really quickly i started heading home. i was 2 miles out right up my street and heard the engine whining in high idle so said *** this and put it in neutral and turned off the engine and parked. sure enough the rad was bone dry, i just about blew up the vq!!! called a tow truck and who shows up but a friend of mine i have'nt seen in long time that i used to party with back in the day. 2 hours of waiting for a tow and get to my mechanics house and he's not home!!! waited a few minutes and he shows up and he looks in the back of the engine block and that little fukin plastic coupler that connects the two rads hoses had broken. 3 hours later we get a replacement part at napa, and 2 gallons of rad fluid, put the new part on, fill the rad back up, turn on the heat and walla!!! back in business!! so, went cruisin around just to make sure she's running alright, stopped, got some dinner and a half mile from the house i hit a fuking deer!!! WTF!!!!! thank god it was a little fawn and i only lost a couple of screws out of the grill and NO other damage at all!! can't believe it, stopped to look at her and wiped the deer hair off the front bumper and shook my head and said, " could'a been a lot worse". car gods were with me today guys, i was EXTREMELY lucky. glad it's over......
Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 PM

Wow sounds extreme man. Glad you and the BM1 are good. How the hell did that coupler piece just break thats odd.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
Wow sounds extreme man. Glad you and the BM1 are good. How the hell did that coupler piece just break thats odd.
i think cause it kicked back when i hit the gas too hard, plus, it's almost a 22 year old plastic piece that had rotted away. you should've seen the pieces inside of the rubber hose that he had to pry out. what a pita, glad i got through that day in 1 piece. how you been man?? haven't seen you in awhile, still got the max?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:55 PM

Wow that's crazy...mainly the hitting the deer part. This is the start of deer migration season. I really don't like driving at night this time of year because of it. I had a pretty large deer hit the side of my car couple years ago and cause $1,600 in damage...in insurance dollars.

I'm not body work savvy, but I did go ahead and just get it done professionally instead of the cheapo route.

Oh..always carry a bottle of coolant and oil. I don't know why, but I get annoyed when people go into auto places asking for a top off. Most times, they overfill anyway or just put in any kind of fluid? Always good to keep it on hand.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 10-03-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:04 PM

here's a pic or 2 of the piece...
Name:  DSC_0744_zpsgsdrngwn.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  191.8 KB
Name:  DSC_0743_zps6eb6n43b.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  200.6 KB
had anti-freeze disappearing for years, wouldn't be surprised if this was the culprit. anyone losing fluid might want to check this coupler located behind the vq, it's attached to the firewall with 4 little screws and sitting on a bracket which we didn't bother to re-attach it to. less chance of it snapping off in another 21 and a half years from now.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by 97_GXE
Wow that's crazy...mainly the hitting the deer part. This is the start of deer migration season. I really don't like driving at night this time of year because of it. I had a pretty large deer hit the side of my car couple years ago and cause $1,600 in damage...in insurance dollars.

I'm not body work savvy, but I did go ahead and just get it done professionally instead of the cheapo route.

Oh..always carry a bottle of coolant and oil. I don't know why, but I get annoyed when people go into auto places asking for a top off. Most times, they overfill anyway or just put in any kind of fluid? Always good to keep it on hand.
i always have oil, just anti-freeze takes up a lot of space and i don't want to risk it spilling in the trunk. i had a half a gallon left over after we filled up the rad and ran the heat. it's in the trunk now!!! i watched the guy do it and he filled it up with the right $hit cause i know what goes in the max. didn't do much good.....
Old 10-03-2016, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i always have oil, just anti-freeze takes up a lot of space and i don't want to risk it spilling in the trunk. i had a half a gallon left over after we filled up the rad and ran the heat. it's in the trunk now!!! i watched the guy do it and he filled it up with the right $hit cause i know what goes in the max. didn't do much good.....
Lol, I've had that happen plenty. But I started keeping it a cooler with all my other fluids and cleaners. I've now just got rid of oil and coolant jugs and use small colored water bottles to save space.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 PM

wow that's crazy, you were in a situation of...blow up your engine or ruin your front end, but none of that happened. You better dam say thank you to the car gods cause they were there for you. Glad it didn't end up worse. If i were you, I'd take a deep breath...phew.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG
wow that's crazy, you were in a situation of...blow up your engine or ruin your front end, but none of that happened. You better dam say thank you to the car gods cause they were there for you. Glad it didn't end up worse. If i were you, I'd take a deep breath...phew.
deep breath hell, it was beer-thirty after that fukin day/edit
Old 10-04-2016, 04:54 AM

pic of animal collision damage
Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 PM

Yep 95-96 had that crappy plastic i always advise folks to remove and replace with 97-99 one piece hose
Old 10-04-2016, 06:32 PM

pics of the front end pls, show us how durable the front end is against a small deer.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by JoshG
pics of the front end pls, show us how durable the front end is against a small deer.
not a scratch on her, wiped her down again tonight after work. will snap a pic or 2 after work. i can't find anything wrong except the screws from the grill and the drivers side headlight has a light stress crack i noticed. but, that mighta been there...
Old 10-04-2016, 09:26 PM

It's rare to see a deer around here, too much city clutter. But back in May when we were on vacation, the wife was driving and almost got a buffalo. Those suckers are big! Only had the car for about 2 months and if she had hit that thing, we wouldda had to buy another one.

Happened to have the camera in my hand and I got a photo as it went alongside the car.

Name:  Yellostone%20Buffalo%201_zpsc4xunbcp.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 10-05-2016, 01:23 AM

lol, ok dennis, were you eating some peyote on that little excursion??? hmmmm??
Old 10-05-2016, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
It's rare to see a deer around here, too much city clutter. But back in May when we were on vacation, the wife was driving and almost got a buffalo. Those suckers are big! Only had the car for about 2 months and if she had hit that thing, we wouldda had to buy another one.

Happened to have the camera in my hand and I got a photo as it went alongside the car.

at first i thought it was a joke, but wow what a pic !
Old 10-05-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
lol, ok dennis, were you eating some peyote on that little excursion??? hmmmm??
No but I was cleaning my underwear afterwards.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:02 AM

When you are driving through Montana, Wyoming, Idaho you will be seeing buffalo and other critters. The drug stores sell bear spray repellent. There are road signs to be aware of mountain goats. It's a bit different out there.