4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tips when changing fuel filter...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 09:32 PM

Tips when changing fuel filter...

Just changed mine an hour ago and it took me about 20 min. Just wanted to give some points that might help someone out.

- Even after you "unload" the fuel pump, a big spray of gas will flow out of the top hose on the fuel filter (when you remove it), so watch out.
- Before you unclamp the 2 hoses, take the filter off the holder/clip (this makes it easier to access the bottom screw).
- Since I have a homemade upper intake piece, I disconnected it and moved it to the side, giving my arm better access to move the filter around.
- Use a stubby phillips screw driver for the top clamp and a medium length (6-9" handled) phillips for the bottom one.
- If you're having trouble taking the hoses off, its probably because you didnt unscrew the clamp enough. The attachment ends on the filter are mushroom shaped, so you have to be able to get the clamp over that before it will pull off.
- When you install the new one, it was easier to clamp on the top hose first, so that the fuel filter doesnt fall into 'the abyss' if you accidentally slip when trying to hook up the bottom hose.
- The bottom clamp will be hard to get on because when you try to get enough force on it with the screw driver, it twists arounds. If you have fairly thin arms, you'll be able to get your left hand to hold the clamp still (access from under the intake, its a tight fit but I reached it with my middle finger, just enough to hold it still).

Good luck! Its not a huge job, but it feels like a major accomplishment when you're done
Old 08-30-2002, 12:17 AM

here is another thing i found it a little dificult to remove the rubber hoses of the fuel filter.

my solution a din puller or a panel removing tool works like a charm for stuborn hoses.

and no smoking
Old 08-30-2002, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by jdmmax
here is another thing i found it a little dificult to remove the rubber hoses of the fuel filter.

my solution a din puller or a panel removing tool works like a charm for stuborn hoses.

and no smoking
yeah, I was going to say keeping an open flame nearby is fun when doing the job
Old 08-30-2002, 06:18 AM

cheat to make this job easy

Don't try to make this a 20 minute job. Take 12 hours or so and it is much easier.

I just fininshed putting my new fuel filter on this morning.

Last evening I removed the fuse for the fuel pump ( # 32, 15 amp, blue ) and cranked the engine a few times to use up what fuel was in the lines. I then removed the top of my air filter by undoing the clamps and the hose clamp at the throttle body. The air sensor comes off easy and the other hoses either pull off or come off easy with pliers on the clamps. Once the top and the connecting ductwork is off you can get to the hose clamps of the fuel filter lines much easier. I loosened the clamps at both fuel lines at the fuel filter. Then I unscrewed my gas cap. THEN I LEFT IT ALONE OVERNIGHT.

This morning the lines came off easy because the pressure had released overnight. I put a plactic cup under the old fuel filter and that caught what gas leaked out. Then installed the new filter and put everything back in place.

The hard part of this job is removing the old fuel filter lines when there is pressure in the lines. Also when things are in your way. Take off what is in your way. Let time work for you. The pressure releases overnight.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:27 PM

Good points AdMax & kvzeyde ( that's hard to pronounce ),

I've been keeping a database of tips like this I see, so when the time comes for me I'll be ready.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:12 PM
Sin

Brains over Brawn

When I did mine not too long ago, I remember wrenching on the lines and pulling like there was no tomorrow. Then I thought to myself, why don't I try twisting the hose back and forth while pulling? So I tried it, and the hoses came off SOOO much easier. Just a suggestion for others.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You guys make it look so easy. Let me guess, anyone have ABS?? It's much harder with those ABS lines in the way. I know.

DW
Old 08-30-2002, 05:22 PM

I found it easier to change the fuel filter by removing the air filter assembly (stock) and depressurizing the fuel by removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine until it dies. THEN, I loosen the fuel cap. This also relieves the pressure even more! Then I remove the top hose, then the bottom hose, using a sponge to catch any excess fuel in lines. Upon installing the new one, I reverse the order of procedure. Bottom hose FIRST, then the top hose second. Clamp filter on and your done! It usually takes me about 15 minutes tops, for that I changed mine more than frequently because I didn't use a Nissan brand. But, now I do! I learned Nissan's filter lasts a lot longer because of their better filter design!
Old 08-31-2002, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
You guys make it look so easy. Let me guess, anyone have ABS?? It's much harder with those ABS lines in the way. I know.

DW
Yes I have ABS lines. It still wasnt very hard.

As for the loosening the gas cap to relieve pressure is totally useless. It relieves GAS TANK pressure, and not in the lines. Only unloading the fuel pump will do that.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:03 PM

why?

As for the loosening the gas cap to relieve pressure is totally useless. It relieves GAS TANK pressure, and not in the lines. Only unloading the fuel pump will do that.
Since the fuel tank is connected to the fuel lines why wouldn't relieving the pressure in the tank help lower the pressure in the gas lines?

Please explain.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2002, 08:27 PM

Re: why?

The feul pump only pressurizes the feul from the feul pump to the feul injectors. The gas in the tank is in another "system", more to do with emissions and getting feul vapors back from the engine. Much less pressure.

DW

Originally posted by kvzeyde

Since the fuel tank is connected to the fuel lines why wouldn't relieving the pressure in the tank help lower the pressure in the gas lines?

Please explain.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2002, 07:12 AM

Re: Re: why?

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The feul pump only pressurizes the feul from the feul pump to the feul injectors. The gas in the tank is in another "system", more to do with emissions and getting feul vapors back from the engine. Much less pressure.

DW

Old 09-01-2002, 07:31 AM

Stand corrected

Thanks for clearing up why unscrewing the gas cap does not help relieve the pressure at the fuel lines at the fuel filter.

After loosening the clamps on the fuel lines the lines are easier to remove after the car sits overnight. This must be because the pressure bleeds off overnight. Also, after sitting overnight no fuel sprays when the lines are disconnected. The fuel from the old filter just drains down where it is easily caught in a disposable cup.

Conversely, turning the ignition on for a couple seconds before cranking the starter in the morning allows the fuel pump to build pressure in lines to the injectors and makes for a quicker start.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:54 AM

need FUSE LAYOUT picture

hey guys,
i need a picture of the fuse layout for my 98se max.
my fuse cove doesn't have a printed layout.

thanks so much for all your help.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by AdMax98

Yes I have ABS lines. It still wasnt very hard.

I do it anyway
Old 11-02-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

buy a CAI and don't get ABS... thas what i have to offer
Old 11-04-2002, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
I found it easier to change the fuel filter by removing the air filter assembly (stock) and depressurizing the fuel by removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine until it dies. THEN, I loosen the fuel cap. This also relieves the pressure even more! Then I remove the top hose, then the bottom hose, using a sponge to catch any excess fuel in lines. Upon installing the new one, I reverse the order of procedure. Bottom hose FIRST, then the top hose second. Clamp filter on and your done! It usually takes me about 15 minutes tops, for that I changed mine more than frequently because I didn't use a Nissan brand. But, now I do! I learned Nissan's filter lasts a lot longer because of their better filter design!
What were the symptoms of a lesser quality filter? i.e. Did you choose to change them more frequently because you were concerned that they wouldn't last as long a a Nissan brand?...Or did you experience a clogged filter problem? My first change was at a very high mileage (too embarrassed to say how high), but I didn't notice any difference after the change. Since I expect to change it every 15-20K miles or so, I don't know why longevity would be desired.

Man...Just when I was getting brain cramps over oil filter religion, I need to worry about fuel filters too?
Old 11-04-2002, 04:03 PM
Keven97SE

Re: need FUSE LAYOUT picture

You're in luck! I just replaced my filter last night and remember the fuse location. It's in the driver's side left kick panel. The fuel pump fuse is in the 6th slot from the bottom right corner.

Originally posted by jensyj
hey guys,
i need a picture of the fuse layout for my 98se max.
my fuse cove doesn't have a printed layout.

thanks so much for all your help.

Old 11-04-2002, 04:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

When I removed my hoses I used a piece of rag and wrapped around the hoses then clamped the rag with pliers and twisted while I held on the canister with my bare hand. It was quite simple. I removed the airbox for clearance but left my FSTB in. I have no ABS lines to manuever around though.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:44 PM

fuel filter

don't worry too much.
i replaced mines just because i was experiencing hasitasion problems.
it turn out to be an engine idle timing problem. TOOK CARE OF IT.

ps people say that it's too difficult to replace your filter.
i don't think so; you just need the right tools to do it.

What were the symptoms of a lesser quality filter? i.e. Did you choose to change them more frequently because you were concerned that they wouldn't last as long a a Nissan brand?...Or did you experience a clogged filter problem? My first change was at a very high mileage (too embarrassed to say how high), but I didn't notice any difference after the change. Since I expect to change it every 15-20K miles or so, I don't know why longevity would be desired.

Man...Just when I was getting brain cramps over oil filter religion, I need to worry about fuel filters too? [/B][/QUOTE]