4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECU Replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 10:54 PM

ECU Replacement???

My Maxi has been driving like Sh*t. I changed plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve and put in 2 fuel injector treatments. It didn't change. I brought it in to get it checked out and I was told I may need a new ECU. Any idea what that should cost, and is there any upgrade I should consider as long as I have to replace it?

Old 08-29-2002, 11:05 PM
pjalst

Re: ECU Replacement???

Originally posted by julioshinobi
My Maxi has been driving like Sh*t. I changed plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve and put in 2 fuel injector treatments. It didn't change. I brought it in to get it checked out and I was told I may need a new ECU. Any idea what that should cost, and is there any upgrade I should consider as long as I have to replace it?

Does the check engine light come on? If so, what is the code?

Old 08-30-2002, 12:07 AM
Sports Button FTW

Re: ECU Replacement???

i have an ECU from an automatic 95 GLE. ECU's go for hella a lot new and go for around 150 to 200 from the junkyard. I'll sell u mine for 75 shipped. It's works fine and i ONLY replaced it because i did an auto to 5 speed conversion and needed to replace ECU to get rid of engine light. Email me if you are interested.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:19 AM

Re: Re: ECU Replacement???

Originally posted by pjalst

Does the check engine light come on? If so, what is the code?
Check engine light has been on since i got it (approx 2.5 years). Don't know how to check the codes. I may know tomorrow. btw it's a 96 se 5 speed.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:22 AM

Re: Re: ECU Replacement???

Originally posted by meccanoble

i have an ECU from an automatic 95 GLE. ECU's go for hella a lot new and go for around 150 to 200 from the junkyard. I'll sell u mine for 75 shipped. It's works fine and i ONLY replaced it because i did an auto to 5 speed conversion and needed to replace ECU to get rid of engine light. Email me if you are interested.
I have a 96 SE 5 speed. Are junkyard ECU's safe? If it will work in my car i am defintely interested! Thanx for the quotes.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:23 AM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Re: ECU Replacement???

I have a 96 SE 5 speed. Are junkyard ECU's safe? If it will work in my car i am defintely interested! Thanx for the quotes.
they all have warranties and your engine light should not have been on that long. You probably experienced problems u didn't even know u had and probably hurt the car. Go on 4th gen forum and look for ECU link. It will tell u how to check for codes and reset. Dam, I hope all goes well. 2.5 years is a lot of time for something to go wrong...
Old 08-30-2002, 12:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ECU Replacement???

Originally posted by meccanoble

they all have warranties and your engine light should not have been on that long. You probably experienced problems u didn't even know u had and probably hurt the car. Go on 4th gen forum and look for ECU link. It will tell u how to check for codes and reset. Dam, I hope all goes well. 2.5 years is a lot of time for something to go wrong...
Crap.