4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problems with the 5 speed... car buckling while in gear.. clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 06:31 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Problems with the 5 speed... car buckling while in gear.. clutch slipping?

The car starts to bog while already in gear. This was happening in 2nd gear mostly. I'm not on the clutch and the RPMs start to bounce back and I'm not hitting the rev limiter. I'm just bouncing off like 4k RPMs.. and it bogs like I'm slipping the clutch or not giving it enough gas.

However, my friend has a 5 speed 5th gen and he told me that when the clutch is slipping, you know it when you are just releasing it and you have to give it a lot more gas. Once it's already in gear and you're off the clutch, it shouldn't be a problem with the clutch
I've been driving a 5 speed for one week so far so my knowledge on them is limited.

Does anyone know what can be causing this?

Another thing that I am just guessing is maybe a problem with the fuel. I have not changed the fuel filter since I got the car, but it had 115k miles on it and the previous owner most likely did not do much maintenance judging by the terribly dirty air filter. I'm thinking maybe my fuel filter is so clogged that when i take it to higher RPMs and there needs to be more fuel flowing, it doesn't permit that much to go through..
Also, I was at the very last marker of the fuel gauge, very close to running out but i've driven my other car past that and had no problems. Maybe I have a lot of the nasty stuff at the bottom of the tank?

It hasn't happened today on my way to school yet and i filled up..

any ideas?
Old 09-04-2002, 06:50 AM

Re: Problems with the 5 speed... car buckling while in gear.. clutch slipping?

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
The car starts to bog while already in gear. This was happening in 2nd gear mostly. I'm not on the clutch and the RPMs start to bounce back and I'm not hitting the rev limiter. I'm just bouncing off like 4k RPMs.. and it bogs like I'm slipping the clutch or not giving it enough gas.

However, my friend has a 5 speed 5th gen and he told me that when the clutch is slipping, you know it when you are just releasing it and you have to give it a lot more gas. Once it's already in gear and you're off the clutch, it shouldn't be a problem with the clutch
I've been driving a 5 speed for one week so far so my knowledge on them is limited.

Another thing that I am just guessing is maybe a problem with the fuel. I have not changed the fuel filter since I got the car, but it had 115k miles on it and the previous owner most likely did not do much maintenance judging by the terribly dirty air filter. I'm thinking maybe my fuel filter is so clogged that when i take it to higher RPMs and there needs to be more fuel flowing, it doesn't permit that much to go through..
Also, I was at the very last marker of the fuel gauge, very close to running out but i've driven my other car past that and had no problems. Maybe I have a lot of the nasty stuff at the bottom of the tank?

any ideas?
I'm a little confused about the first part of the post, but the second I understand. A clogged fuel filter can cause all kinds of problems and it's cheap solution and a good idea anyway. Running the car that low on gas can only add to the problem as well. I know you didn't mention corners at all, but with anything below a 1/4 tank and a high speed corner will cause my car to fuel starve and bog. If your gas was really low and the filter was really clogged, I could see this potentially happening at high rpm too.

One other thing, has anyone else driven your car and experienced this and when it start to do it, was it accelerating smoothly immediately before the problem starts?
Old 09-04-2002, 06:59 AM

Re: Re: Problems with the 5 speed... car buckling while in gear.. clutch slipping?

Originally posted by iwannabmw

I'm a little confused about the first part of the post, but the second I understand. A clogged fuel filter can cause all kinds of problems and it's cheap solution and a good idea anyway. Running the car that low on gas can only add to the problem as well. I know you didn't mention corners at all, but with anything below a 1/4 tank and a high speed corner will cause my car to fuel starve and bog. If your gas was really low and the filter was really clogged, I could see this potentially happening at high rpm too.

One other thing, has anyone else driven your car and experienced this and when it start to do it, was it accelerating smoothly immediately before the problem starts?
thanks for the reply

No, no one else has driven it yet, it happened yesturday night.
And it was accelerating just fine below 3k rpms or so.. then it feels a bit dead and around 4k it just started to bog and the RPMS bounce back non stop like my rev limiter is around 4.5k

I'm going to change the fuel filter on friday or saturday.
I filled up and so far it's fine..
but i didn't think it would start to starve so fast. I had a 98 auto max before and i could drive it for a while while the low gas light is on..

but yes, it was accelerating smooth before the problem started.

I never ran out of gas..
is this how it feels to run out?
Old 09-04-2002, 07:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Problems with the 5 speed... car buckling while in gear.. clutch slipping?

thanks for the reply

No, no one else has driven it yet, it happened yesturday night.
And it was accelerating just fine below 3k rpms or so.. then it feels a bit dead and around 4k it just started to bog and the RPMS bounce back non stop like my rev limiter is around 4.5k

I'm going to change the fuel filter on friday or saturday.
I filled up and so far it's fine..
but i didn't think it would start to starve so fast. I had a 98 auto max before and i could drive it for a while while the low gas light is on..

but yes, it was accelerating smooth before the problem started.

I never ran out of gas..
is this how it feels to run out?
It could actually be a bunch of things, the fuel filter was just one idea that popped into my head. Have you pulled any codes at all from it? That should be something to look at too. A bad MAF will start to give these symptoms too, which is why a code might be stored. Since the car stopped doing it since it was filled, hopefully it was fuel related and you won't have any more trouble. Just keep in mind, it could be other things as well.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:29 AM
Ramius83

Sorry, I am a little slow here, but did you buy the 5-speed Maxima or did you convert the auto to a 5-speed?

Just so I have everything correct here, you say that whenever you are shifting into second and you press the gas, the RPMs go up, but the transmission itself is not engaging, but then it starts grabbing? If this is right, then you will need to adjust the clutch. Reply back if this is right.

Old 09-04-2002, 08:46 AM

I have the exact same problem now and i just cant figure it out. I have changed my fuel filter. Tried cleaning my throttle body. Even bought a throttle body from a junkyard with a TPS attached and that didnt solve my problem. But it did run well for a day or so after that. My next guess is the MAF or knock sensor. Im not getting any codes from my ECU though. Is it possible to have a bad MAF or knock sensor without having any codes. Please help!!! I cant take driving like this anymore.Another thing it doesnt matter what level my gas is at.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by kyllr
Is it possible to have a bad MAF or knock sensor without having any codes.
If it's intermittent and just starting to go, it's possible it's not bad enough to trip the light, but it can still drive you crazy.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:56 AM
Sports Button FTW

car running like sh*t, can't wait to get my spark plugs and fuel filter...CANT WAIT MAN
Old 09-04-2002, 12:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

shot in the dark --> motor and tranny mounts dead?

Jae
Old 09-04-2002, 06:20 PM

thanks for the feedback everyone..
the problem did not return yet and I've taken it way past 4k RPMs today

Ramius:
I bought a 5 speed.. but the car was already in gear when it did this.
I was able to cruise normally at 2-3k RPMs but once i pushed it further the RPMs went down quickly and the car just jerked really hard non stop.

It hasn't happened today after about 50 miles of driving and i've tested it many times and this hasn't returned.. i hope/think it's fuel related.

I don't get the check engine light and i hope it's not that..
I'm going to try it out again..
Old 09-04-2002, 07:35 PM

Are you sure it is not the way that you are driving? Maybe because you are new to stick shift that it does this. Hey man so are you in Hunter or Stonybrook?
Old 09-05-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by SonicDust187
Are you sure it is not the way that you are driving? Maybe because you are new to stick shift that it does this. Hey man so are you in Hunter or Stonybrook?
No it wasn't the way i was driving

you really can't mess things up after the car is already in gear and you're off the clutch.. i wasn't redlining it either.. i was cruising at like 3k rpms.. but when i pushed it a little bit to like 4k it started doing that.

and I'm in Stonybrook.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:45 PM

That doesn't seem to me like a slipping clutch. Try this: drive in 5th gear around 2000 rpm, then floor it. If the clutch slips, the rpm would rise but your car won't accelerate much.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
That doesn't seem to me like a slipping clutch. Try this: drive in 5th gear around 2000 rpm, then floor it. If the clutch slips, the rpm would rise but your car won't accelerate much.
i'm going to try it on my way home today

this hasn't happened again..
hopefully it will stay that way.

I am hoping it was a fuel issue of me running too low..

anyone ever run out of gas before?
how does the car act before it dies?
Old 09-05-2002, 03:54 PM

any ideas?
So you got a 5 speed huh???
Old 09-05-2002, 07:58 PM

Exhaust restriction?

any ideas?
Old 09-05-2002, 08:21 PM

Start with cleaning the TB and then get back to us. Although you should certainly change the Fuel filter, i bet thats not the problem.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:56 PM

hey, don't obdII have a "limp home" mode? If the ecu detected something funky (like excessive pinging from crappy gas or intake mod gone bad), the ecu should go into a Safe Mode. I know this's true of the 2k2 Altimas where you can't go over 4000 rpm.

So...perhaps the problem is a faulty SES light...and a deeper problem underneath that somehow fixed itself.

Jae