4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

stalling w/ 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002 | 12:42 PM

stalling w/ 5spd

hi, how bad is it for your car when you stall? also, how bad is grinding gears? thanks
john
Old 09-05-2002 | 01:03 PM
Sin

Re: stalling w/ 5spd

Originally posted by j0hnxt
hi, how bad is it for your car when you stall? also, how bad is grinding gears? thanks
john
Stalling isn't all the bad, but is tough on the engine, as well as the starting system. As for grinding gears, that is VERY VERY BAD! BTW, very occasional stalling is a ok for beginners, but if someone is grinding gears, they need to concentrate more on shifting. There is no excuse for grinding.
Old 09-05-2002 | 01:36 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Re: stalling w/ 5spd

Stalling isn't that bad, but if you're doing it a lot you need to work on your technique. I mean, having to restart the engine all the time isn't great for it...

Grinding gears is definitely not good at all for your transmission. If you do that a lot you REALLY have to start paying more attention. It does happen to people every once in a great while though...like maybe once or twice a year you might just not be paying attention or let the clutch out too soon because your tired or something. I don't think it's going to kill your transmission if it happens a few times over the life of the car, but it's definitely not something that should happen with any regularity.

There are people who have learned to shift without the clutch though...and I imagine that they were doing a lot of grinding during the learning process. I know that you can ruin a transmission really easily trying that crap, but they will hold up for a while at least...
Old 09-05-2002 | 02:10 PM

Re: Re: stalling w/ 5spd

Originally posted by endus
Stalling isn't that bad, but if you're doing it a lot you need to work on your technique. I mean, having to restart the engine all the time isn't great for it...

Grinding gears is definitely not good at all for your transmission. If you do that a lot you REALLY have to start paying more attention. It does happen to people every once in a great while though...like maybe once or twice a year you might just not be paying attention or let the clutch out too soon because your tired or something. I don't think it's going to kill your transmission if it happens a few times over the life of the car, but it's definitely not something that should happen with any regularity.

There are people who have learned to shift without the clutch though...and I imagine that they were doing a lot of grinding during the learning process. I know that you can ruin a transmission really easily trying that crap, but they will hold up for a while at least...
I'm sure it isn't good, but I grind a gear or 2 every couple of months. I think it would be worse if you forced it into gear while its grinding.