4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

On 4th starter in eight years...What's the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:29 PM

On 4th starter in eight years...What's the problem?

Right now, I'm about to replace my starter again in my '95 Max. This is the 4th one in the eight years I had my Max. This last one, luckily, was still under warranty so I got it for a direct replacement with no charge ( . But, that's not what my problem is. My problem is that each and every starter I had in my car, the solenoid always goes bad. I never had the starter "whine" like everybody else who had experienced with their starters. I always had the bad solenoids. Has anybody else ever experienced this? What could be causing this? Could it be a problem in my ignition switch causing it? I had my car checked out at a Nissan dealer on my SECOND starter, and they told my my ignition switch was fine. But, on the last two starters I had replaced them myself, but the ongoing problem exists. What is going on? Also, I know Nissan has starter problems in most of their 4th gener's, but what should I do? What should I check for? I'm tired of replacing these starters!!!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2002-8 = 1994
Old 09-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Lime
2002-8 = 1994
Just incase you didn't know, 1995's started selling in 1995. Pretty much just like every other year sells the year before the model of the car.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:06 PM

2002-8 = 1994
Ummmm.....I'm not sure what you meant by this (mathematical)???? The 4th gener's came out in 1994!! And yes, I bought my '95 Max in 1994!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 05:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

meh...if you say so. That's weird. Oh well...I never buy cars new anyway. As for your problem, it sounds like something else needs to be replaced, not the starter. The starter is a symptom, not a direct problem.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:53 PM

meh...if you say so. That's weird. Oh well...I never buy cars new anyway. As for your problem, it sounds like something else needs to be replaced, not the starter. The starter is a symptom, not a direct problem.
That's OK! It's a common mistake. Thanks for your reply, but I'm almost 100% sure it's a starter related problem, because once I replace it, it will work fine until a year later, then it's back to the drawing board. Anyway, Lime, I noticed from your profile, the color of your Max is Black Emerald. Mine is the same color, but I thought they discontinued this color after the 1997 model year? Well, I learn new stuff every day. But, getting back to the point, anybody else out there have any ideas???
Old 09-05-2002, 05:53 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

omfg i had the same problem on my 89 celica.... fixed it this summer... after years of new starters and ******* *clicks clicks clicks*...

CHECK THE WIRES CONNECTING THE STARTER TO THE IGNITION AND TO THE BATTERY

I can't stress that enough. The wiring was pretty complicated goin from the ignition and all so i installed a starter button so it's pretty cool and it STARTS. The problem you're probably experiencing is when the temprature is either very hot or very cold, the wires are probably corroded and ****ty so the wire can't conduct enough electricity to the starter from the battery. If you think changing wires to ignition and all is complicated, i suggest you go get urself a cool starter button like the ones on the Z8 or S2000 and wire that into your car. AT LEAST U DONT HAVE TO CHANGE THE FRAEKIN STARTER. I know the pain, i went through 4 starters myself till i found the problem last month. The car starts EVERY time now.

good luck
Old 09-05-2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
omfg i had the same problem on my 89 celica.... fixed it this summer... after years of new starters and ******* *clicks clicks clicks*...

CHECK THE WIRES CONNECTING THE STARTER TO THE IGNITION AND TO THE BATTERY

I can't stress that enough. The wiring was pretty complicated goin from the ignition and all so i installed a starter button so it's pretty cool and it STARTS. The problem you're probably experiencing is when the temprature is either very hot or very cold, the wires are probably corroded and ****ty so the wire can't conduct enough electricity to the starter from the battery. If you think changing wires to ignition and all is complicated, i suggest you go get urself a cool starter button like the ones on the Z8 or S2000 and wire that into your car. AT LEAST U DONT HAVE TO CHANGE THE FRAEKIN STARTER. I know the pain, i went through 4 starters myself till i found the problem last month. The car starts EVERY time now. By chance, how did you installed the starter switch? Is it a seperate switch starting the car without "key ignition". I'm kinda lost of what your acutually saying?

good luck
Old 09-05-2002, 06:59 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Are these rebuild starters or OEM brand spanking new?
Old 09-05-2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Are these rebuild starters or OEM brand spanking new?
The first two were OEM (brand new), the last two were remanufactured. Nissan starters are just too expensive!!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 09:22 PM

Got a system,
Sounds dumb but bad wires will cause a problem if any are fraying. I thought it was a stupid, but my Power cable grounded out on the chassis when I took my back seat out, and blew the bulb out of the trunk.... he he

- Mike
Old 09-05-2002, 09:55 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
Alright man, sorry it doesn't sound coherent. Lemme re-explain this.

Does your car *click click* in the morning when trying to start or after u've been driving and it's hot outside?

What you think may be a bad solenoid... could perhaps be your WIRES. there's a wire that connects to the starter... it provides the connection to the ignition/battery in order to crank. NOW, do this test. Disconnect that wire. Find another peice of wire (preferably around 14 or thicker gauge) that's about 3-4 feet long and connect one end to the starter. Now w/ the other end of the wire, touch the + terminal of the battery. Does it crank everytime u touch it?? If it still has the *click* sound, that means your starter is bad. If not, that means the connection (mainly wiring) is bad.

Now w/ basic E.E. knowledge, any wire that is corroded (happens alot w/ cars as they age) don't conduct as well. On top of that, if there are extreme tempratures, the wire sucks even more.

Now what i was suggesting w/ the whole custom starting button was a pretty simple way to bypass the whole OEM circuit that starts the car. Basically, you have one wire connected to the battery which then runs to your starter button (recommend the BMW Z8 / S200 buttons) and then to the starter. This way, you can use really thick wire that is insulated well and there will be no way you will encounter your frequent starting problems. You'll still need to put ure key in the ON/ACC position before u hit the button and it will start properly. This is a pretty cool and simple mod too, but most of all, the car will start everytime and also you save alot of money. Well I hope you understand this explanation cuz it doesn't get any better

Good Luck

-btw, I suggest everyone try the "seperate wire to battery" test before they go out and buy a new starter. Quite easy and quick.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:28 PM

Old 09-06-2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s

Alright man, sorry it doesn't sound coherent. Lemme re-explain this.

Does your car *click click* in the morning when trying to start or after u've been driving and it's hot outside?

What you think may be a bad solenoid... could perhaps be your WIRES. there's a wire that connects to the starter... it provides the connection to the ignition/battery in order to crank. NOW, do this test. Disconnect that wire. Find another peice of wire (preferably around 14 or thicker gauge) that's about 3-4 feet long and connect one end to the starter. Now w/ the other end of the wire, touch the + terminal of the battery. Does it crank everytime u touch it?? If it still has the *click* sound, that means your starter is bad. If not, that means the connection (mainly wiring) is bad.

Now w/ basic E.E. knowledge, any wire that is corroded (happens alot w/ cars as they age) don't conduct as well. On top of that, if there are extreme tempratures, the wire sucks even more.

Now what i was suggesting w/ the whole custom starting button was a pretty simple way to bypass the whole OEM circuit that starts the car. Basically, you have one wire connected to the battery which then runs to your starter button (recommend the BMW Z8 / S200 buttons) and then to the starter. This way, you can use really thick wire that is insulated well and there will be no way you will encounter your frequent starting problems. You'll still need to put ure key in the ON/ACC position before u hit the button and it will start properly. This is a pretty cool and simple mod too, but most of all, the car will start everytime and also you save alot of money. Well I hope you understand this explanation cuz it doesn't get any better

Good Luck

-btw, I suggest everyone try the "seperate wire to battery" test before they go out and buy a new starter. Quite easy and quick.
Thanks!!! I'll try all those tests before I install the new starter!!! I might as well install the new starter since it's still under warranty, and most of all, it didn't cost me anything!