4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changed Spark Plugs! Long And Interesting Story!!!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Sports Button FTW

Changed Spark Plugs! Long And Interesting Story!!!!! :)

yesterday i got my fuel filter and spark plugs

today i was on a mission to get these puppys installed at all costs. First i went to friends father who is part time mechanic and got fuel filter installed. Not hard at all to remove, just did the twist and pull technique and it was changed in a matter of 5 minutes or less, longest part was letting gas drain out the carberator....

then later that day i went to my other mechanic friend and got the spark plugs changed (mind u i would have done them if i had the right tools) and i saw how easy they were to install, OMG, i will do this myself from no on....but here's the biggest thing of all....

GUESS WHAT SPARK PLUGS WE PULLED OUT OF MY CAR????

some dam overcooked SUPER BOSH spark plugs!!! not stock NGK or some BOSH platinum 4 series, some old a$$ SUPER BOSH Spark plugs!! when we took them out, there was all this dirt and filth that came out with them. My mechanic said that they didn't burn fuel well or something and left a lot of carbon so i will have to clean my throttle body again sometime but i put the NGK platinums in and OMG!!!!

FIRST OFF!! no shakiness, car runs so smooth. Before if i was in 2nd and was at low rpm and low speed, my car would jerk like hell. Even when i shifted to 2nd in good speeds it still jerked a little, now in low rpm's and low speed it just gives a nice little growl and no shakiness, just smooth driving. THE CAR ALSO PICKS UP MEAN AS HELL!! i mean, i chirp 1st anytime i want....ANYTIME, i tried on 3 different attempts, from 20 mph, to 30 mph, and from 10. This could be cause my tires look like HOmer simpsons head but nonetheless i'm so happy.

SKEELO, if you can hear me, I WANT YOU!! I WANT TO RACE U SO BADLY NOW!!! All this time u piece of crap u smoked me off the line, i felt so embarrassed but now i think I'll take u and i'm fully confident.

The only thing different between my car and skeelo's is that his first gear is a lot stronger than mine, well not crazy stronger but you can't drive on first with his car because it just pulls with slightest touch. With mine, it does the same but i can lightly tap the gas and cruise on first. Maybe cause i have y-pipe which hurts low end and he doesn't..(just has intake)

Also i changed fuel filter and when i first got car i remember getting low 300 miles per full tank and now i just put a full tank of gas and my dam spedometer read 215. That's over 100 miles less than i had before!! i'll keep u guys updated on how much miles i get on this full tank. Mind u both tanks before were from regular city driving.

ALL AND ALL I AM HAPPY with what i have. I have all of you to thank. I swear if i didn't know about this site i would have ran straight to the Bosh platinum 4 ones. I think i did with the Super Bosh but just don't remember. Another satisfied member guys, this story has a happy ending
Old 09-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Changed Spark Plugs! Long And Interesting Story!!!!! :)

Originally posted by meccanoble
yesterday i got my fuel filter and spark plugs

Not hard at all to remove, just did the twist and pull technique and it was changed in a matter of 5 minutes or less, longest part was letting gas drain out the carberator....

Oooh, am I the first?

Gas draining from your carb, huh? Did you do an engine swap (ar a fuel system swap) when you did your tranny swap?

Glad it went well for ya!
Old 09-12-2002, 03:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

longest part was letting gas drain out the carberator....

Old 09-12-2002, 03:24 PM

Re: Re: Changed Spark Plugs! Long And Interesting Story!!!!! :)

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Beat ya to it Jeff!

Mecca, seriously, if I were you I would copy your message, fix the carb comment, delete this thread, and repost it before anyone sees it!!!! Your credibility here is at stake!
Old 09-12-2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Yeah, I can't understand that one but I'm glad the tuneup went well.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:13 PM

what kind of plugs did u say u got? fuel filter??
Old 09-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

My mechanic said that they didn't burn fuel well or something and left a lot of carbon so i will have to clean my throttle body again sometime but i put the NGK platinums in and OMG!!!!
Explain to me how spark plugs can affect your throttle body.

And what kind of carb are you running?

My distributor cap is cracked, can you help me with that too?

Old 09-12-2002, 08:48 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by SuperFishstick
what kind of plugs did u say u got? fuel filter??
LOL

How about you scroll up and re-read what he typed
Old 09-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Sports Button FTW

thanks for the bashing guys, i'm not gonna edit what i posted because i STILL am a noob and when they see what u guys put they'll know i'm still a student here.

I never tended to teach, just to be fair and honest with what i sell if any.

i have NGK plat spark plugs and regular fuel filter straight from dealer.

when i meant waiting for carborator to finish leaking, i meant the top hole connected to the fuel filter. My father's friend (who works on older cars) called it linkage to carborator so i took his word for it but obviously he's a bumbling fool....
Old 09-12-2002, 10:22 PM

Sounds like you've got one mean V8 Bigblock Maxima.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:25 AM
JsL

You loose low end when you get a y pipe? I thought you gain throughout the powerband.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by mzmtg

Explain to me how spark plugs can affect your throttle body.
Maybe burnt plugs cause excess crap to go into the throttle body via PCV hoses.

-Sryth...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
'98 SE 5spd, Pebble Beige, PRCAI, Stillen Y, Stillen FSTB, ACT clutch.
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!
Old 09-13-2002, 05:01 AM
Administrator

do you use Carb Cleaner to clean your TB? because if you did.. your engine should be going boom any min now..

Maxima is EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) we don't have Carberators
Old 09-13-2002, 05:05 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

when i meant waiting for carborator to finish leaking, i meant the top hole connected to the fuel filter. My father's friend (who works on older cars) called it linkage to carborator so i took his word for it but obviously he's a bumbling fool....

Do yourself a big favor and don't ever EVER let that guy touch your car again.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

carberator....

[bevis and buthead voice]HE SAID CARBERATOR!! AHUH AHUH HUH HU[/bevis and buthead voice]
Old 09-13-2002, 09:07 AM

What are you guys talking about! I have a carb too! Its better than the MEVI intake, trust me.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:13 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Old 09-13-2002, 09:14 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by skeelo34
What are you guys talking about! I have a carb too! Its better than the MEVI intake, trust me.
This guy is so used to working on older cars, i had to point to him where my spark plugs were located and he didn't believe me till i showed him the whole to one of them. couldn't get it out cause i didn't have the right tool but you should have saw his face man...couldn't even drive my car. Talking about "you're not supposed to push the clutch all the way down to shift, you're car needs a serious tune up lol", i just kept nodding....i hate proving older people wrong...feel like i'm disrespecting them, they don't know any better...

question, what is the tope hose connected to the fuel filter connected to anyway?
Old 09-13-2002, 09:27 AM

question, what is the tope hose connected to the fuel filter connected to anyway?
cigarette lighter
Old 09-13-2002, 09:28 AM
Administrator

top part of the fuel filter goes to the fuel rail and the engine.. the bottom part of the fuel filter goes to the fuel pump and fuel tank..

This guy is so used to working on older cars, i had to point to him where my spark plugs were located and he didn't believe me till i showed him the whole to one of them. couldn't get it out cause i didn't have the right tool but you should have saw his face man...couldn't even drive my car. Talking about "you're not supposed to push the clutch all the way down to shift, you're car needs a serious tune up lol", i just kept nodding....i hate proving older people wrong...feel like i'm disrespecting them, they don't know any better...

Old 09-13-2002, 09:33 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

cigarette lighter

you must not like him????
Old 09-13-2002, 09:38 AM

Here's one for the future when you have to change the fuel filter again:

Just position the gas line in an upward position until you can slap the new one on. There's no need to waste your fuel that way.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by bags533

you must not like him????
Not at all, he's a cool guy. Pretty funny when it comes to cars & car stereo sometimes......I just like to bust his chops whenever possible. You know mecca, maybe if had my friend push your car when we race, it might be closer.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

meh
yet another reason to follow a manual and do the work yourself.

oh yeah, and, BTW, you really need to read a manual about your car.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:45 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

...longest part was letting gas drain out the carberator....

Uh oh, you just lost any credibility you had
Old 09-13-2002, 10:31 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

[bevis and buthead voice]HE SAID CARBERATOR!! AHUH AHUH HUH HU[/bevis and buthead voice]
Whats a carberator?

Old 09-13-2002, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, in this thread, so far I have seen
carbarator
carboretor
carbamazapator........

Correct speeeeling is carburetor, guys/girls

Glad the car runs better, now.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:01 PM
Jer

However you spell that thing, what's a carburator? I usually change my fuel filter every 10k miles, but I usually pull it out of that big box next to the driver's side suspension tower thing. I heard a company called K&N makes conical ones now?

BTW, the local tranny shop told me to get a powerglide cuz my tranny was melting. Can someone please come by and show me how to fit this thing, cuz I dunno if I can do it myself. I can pay you $85/hour and will pay for your hotel if it takes more than a day. I just want it done properly so I can drive my 18 year old daughter Jennifer to her choir practice at the corner of 7th and 31st every weeknight at 10pm.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Andrapos
Ok, in this thread, so far I have seen
carbarator
carboretor
carbamazapator........

Correct speeeeling is carburetor, guys/girls

Glad the car runs better, now.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Jer
However you spell that thing, what's a carburator? I usually change my fuel filter every 10k miles, but I usually pull it out of that big box next to the driver's side suspension tower thing. I heard a company called K&N makes conical ones now?

BTW, the local tranny shop told me to get a powerglide cuz my tranny was melting. Can someone please come by and show me how to fit this thing, cuz I dunno if I can do it myself. I can pay you $85/hour and will pay for your hotel if it takes more than a day. I just want it done properly so I can drive my 18 year old daughter Jennifer to her choir practice at the corner of 7th and 31st every weeknight at 10pm.

Thanks!

If I get a date with your 18 year old daugher and she gets to stay at the hotel with me, along with payment for expenses, I will gladly do it for a small fee.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Jer

Fine by me : I'll ask her if she doesn't mind doing a one-on-one oral lesson. It will have to be on a non-choir night though - also be nice because she gets cranky - she's out on probation for a murder charge

If I get a date with your 18 year old daugher and she gets to stay at the hotel with me, along with payment for expenses, I will gladly do it for a small fee.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:59 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

LOL!!

altho that does sound jacked up... i think he's just referring to your excess information.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Jer
Fine by me : I'll ask her if she doesn't mind doing a one-on-one oral lesson. It will have to be on a non-choir night though - also be nice because she gets cranky - she's out on probation for a murder charge

Hmm maybe she'll be better off with my best friend, he just killed his ex-gf in june (not a joke). Maybe they could hook up? As long as she's clean I'll hit it up once or twice. The more times, the better the discount will be!
Old 09-13-2002, 02:28 PM
Custom User Title...

Hmm maybe she'll be better off with my best friend, he just killed his ex-gf in june (not a joke). Maybe they could hook up? As long as she's clean I'll hit it up once or twice. The more times, the better the discount will be!

you guys weird me out, bigtime.

so mecca, how's the 5 speed and everything going? glad to see it's doing better.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This post is...

...getting weird...but amusing...please continue.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:32 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Jepht20

you guys weird me out, bigtime.

so mecca, how's the 5 speed and everything going? glad to see it's doing better.
i'm so happy with my car. Idle is perfect, car runs and performs great. I seriously feel like i can take any car (any 2 or 4 door sedan). My tires are dead though, i chirp and peel by mistake, i can't even take turns the way i want to anymore or i'll wake up the block TORQUE BABY

or just bad tires
Old 09-14-2002, 07:11 AM

i'm so happy with my car. Idle is perfect, car runs and performs great. I seriously feel like i can take any car (any 2 or 4 door sedan). My tires are dead though, i chirp and peel by mistake, i can't even take turns the way i want to anymore or i'll wake up the block TORQUE BABY

or just bad tires

I'll still own joo, and always will.