4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Went Dynamat crazy today

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002 | 03:46 PM
Sin

Went Dynamat crazy today

I've already had my inner doors totally dynmatted, as three large chunks on the outter doors. While waiting for some speakers to come in, I sealed off the openings of the inner door, using thin MDF and silicone. I bought another 4 sheets just to have around in case I found more rattles. Yesterday, my Peerless ring dome tweeters arrived (YEAH BABY!) so I decided to add a second layer of dynamat on the inner door, and one layer on the inner door skins. I now have three layers of dynamat on the front doors, two on the doors themselves, and one on the door skin. And for those of you that may want to do something similar in the future, I figured out a good way to seal up the part where the rod for the hinges are. Make a pocket using plastic sheets (similar to the stock stuff), put some polyfill in there so the sheets won't vibrate against the rods, and dynamat the plastic sheets.

When I first got started, if you knocked on the bare metal, my doors would gong. Now, it's a muted thud.

I've also dynamatted the sheet metal under the back seats, the piece of metal between the back seats and the trunk, the rear deck lid both on top of the metal, under the metal in the trunk, the fibreboard part, siliconed the plastic vent pieces, dynamatted the floor of the trunk, the trunk lid, siliconed many wires, foamed up crevices, layed down a sheet of insulator over the dynamat under the back seats, and some other stuff I can't remember right now. Basically everything except for the roof, the floor and firewall. I have some minor vibrations which can only be heard when bass is pumping hard without any mids or highs. With the mids and highs, you can't hear the vibrations. The sounds appear to be coming from the latches. I haven't figured out a way to solve this yet, but don't worry, I'm working on it

I'm going to mount the tweets tonight, I'd LOVE to finish the system tomorrow, but I have to see the woman, and I my buddy has my custom x-overs in Waterloo right now (had to take the tweets down a notch or two), and won't be back with them till tomorrow night. I figure 1-2 hours on Sat, and I should be done.