4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HKS Twin Power Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 07:59 PM

I heard by word of mouth that there was some discussion about the HKS Twin Power Ignition and some referal to my tests. This is for the newer people as a warning since they did not see the dyno sheets from the original test. I was the first to get a Twin Power from Stillen. I tested it on the dyno. It basically wires piggy back to the stock system. When a firing signal goes to a plug, it is supposed to amplify the signal and lengthen it to supposedly give a better burn and make more power.

I tested it at Dynotech doing back to back runs with it on and with it off. It did NOTHING at all. Both runs looked identical. The testing was done shortly before SEMA last year. At SEMA I met with an engineer at HKS. I was told that it made 4 hp on an SE-R. When I showed him the results, I was told that they have never tested it on a Max and they had it down as an application since they knew by the wiring diagrams that it could be wired in. He was by no means surprised it made no differance.

We came up with 2 possible reasons why it didn't work. First, the signal to the coils may be of such low impedance the the twin power can not measure it and hence would not trigger. The second was that the stock ignition was already optimal. The opinion from HKS was more to the ladder. As far as the HP gains listed in the Stillen(Stealing) catalog, it is only sourced from Stillen and not HKS. Stillen has never seen the gain on a car at their facility and deliberately uses false advertising to fool people into buying it. Both Adam and Jeff at Stillen know this and have a copy of the dyno sheet from my original test. They were also contacted directly from HKS about it. I feel sorry for anyone who was suckered into this.

...and yes, I did get a full refund(including shipping).

[Edited by Loren00Miata on 12-19-2000 at 10:03 PM]
Old 12-19-2000, 08:29 PM

got refund on product...

thats cool, usually can't get your money back even if u can prove it...but we all appreciate the info and the money u have saved us from not buying that product
Old 12-20-2000, 07:02 AM

I could've told you all this! the HKS ignition upgrade is not worthwhile for an all motor Maxima. If you NOS or S/C it, then the more efficient spark would be benenficial, but until then the stock direct ignition system is PERFECT!