4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Few Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 12:06 PM
wat

Few Questions...

Well, I have about less than a year until I get my car, for the last few months Ive been looking into which car Im thinking of getting and what mods to put in. It might seem like I have a long time to wait, but I need the time to research and think of how much money I'll need to save in order to purchase parts, etc.

So far I think Im going to get a 97-99 Maxima 5 spd. Mods im thinking of: CAI, New Exaust (Stillen), Supercharger (Stillen), Flywheel, Stillen Body Kit, New taillights, 17" Rims, and most likely I will get the car painted blue. Other Ideas will come along but this is my main idea of mods. NOS was an Idea, but its probably not a good idea to get, since this will be my first car, heh.

I totalled up the possible HP and it turned out to be about 300 or more. Does that sound about right?

I was wondering what people have heard of the Stillen Supercharger, I really cant think of what else I will need for the supercharger. I thought maybe a Stillen Oil cooler would be neccessary but im not sure. Any information on my ideas is great, so post any comments.

oh and btw, I will have about 20 or 25k to spend, so, Im thinking of getting a maxima for about $10k (Obviously by the time I get my car the prices will down near there), I needed to know how much installation of parts like this typically usually runs. I will have about $10k or $15k to spend on the parts and installation. Also, Does anyone know how much getting a car painted usually costs?

Old 09-23-2002, 12:09 PM

Re: Few Questions...

Originally posted by BlueC
Well, I have about less than a year until I get my car, for the last few months Ive been looking into which car Im thinking of getting and what mods to put in. It might seem like I have a long time to wait, but I need the time to research and think of how much money I'll need to save in order to purchase parts, etc.

So far I think Im going to get a 97-99 Maxima 5 spd. Mods im thinking of: CAI, New Exaust (Stillen), Supercharger (Stillen), Flywheel, Stillen Body Kit, New taillights, 17" Rims, and most likely I will get the car painted blue. Other Ideas will come along but this is my main idea of mods. NOS was an Idea, but its probably not a good idea to get, since this will be my first car, heh.

I totalled up the possible HP and it turned out to be about 300 or more. Does that sound about right?

I was wondering what people have heard of the Stillen Supercharger, I really cant think of what else I will need for the supercharger. I thought maybe a Stillen Oil cooler would be neccessary but im not sure. Any information on my ideas is great, so post any comments.

you're putting a $4k blower on your FIRST car? what are you rich? or is this what they call wishful thinking.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:12 PM
wat

Well, heh, it might sound like it but no, My parents are paying for the insurance. Im taking out a 18 or 20k loan. I will have a year to save up so I will have about $6k xtra. Where I live theres alot of competition so, yea..... You kinda get the picture? hehe
Old 09-23-2002, 12:15 PM

Well, heh, it might sound like it but no, My parents are paying for the insurance. Im taking out a 18 or 20k loan. I will have a year to save up so I will have about $6k xtra. Where I live theres alot of competition so, yea..... You kinda get the picture? hehe
hey if you think you can handle a car on boost as your first one then go for it. as for me.....if i see a 16year old in a modded max on boost i will be staying FAR far away from him...
Old 09-23-2002, 12:20 PM
wat

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
hey if you think you can handle a car on boost as your first one then go for it. as for me.....if i see a 16year old in a modded max on boost i will be staying FAR far away from him...
Nah, I will obviously get the supercharger installed about a month after I get the car, Im not that stupid. I will practice alot with the supercharger too, so I get a feel of it. Ive actually seen people at my HS with NOS, now thats not a smart thing to get....

But that main thing is that im not getting a civic, Ive seen about 20 people at my school so far with modded civics. Hehehehe, When I get my car, It will dominate all of the tiny civics.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:21 PM
I'm so hood

Welcome to the .org. It's a good idea to get friendly with the search function - I think it'll help you with your SC-related question(s) and paint questions, though for a nice well-done paint job w/a different color I think you're looking at over $2000. But don't quote me on that.

That would be a nice first car. How far have you already looked into getting the loan? That might be a rough one to swing if you don't have any credit, ie, if you're like...under 20 with nothing to your name. Esp if you're planning on getting an auto loan - there's a ceiling on what they can give, maximum payout length, etc. If you have this already all sorted out though, completely ignore me.

Keep us updated if you go with a max.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:25 PM
wat

Well, actualy, My parents are taking out the loan. I will pay them (parents) the monthly payments instead. Another great thing is that the bank is nto a public bank, so Its less interest per month, around 5.5 percent instead of the typical 7.

As for the paint job, Im not looking into a really special paint, like the blue from Dodge Vipers. Im just getting the car painted IF I get a body kit. So, If I dont get the body kit, I wont get the car painted.

And also, Im about 99% sure im getting a maxima, Ive always liked maximas. Plus I really want to get a more unique car to mod. So you can see why I posted here, im very sure about the maxima, its a great car.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:37 PM
living out of a maxima...

Get a Maxima! Eat civics for breakfast! Accords for lunch!

If (when) you do get the max, don't paint it blue. Many people have "custom" blue paint jobs, of varying shades of "custom" blue. Don't get me wrong, they're all hot, they're just losing their "custom" appeal. There's even a thread a few days ago about "custom" blue colors...
Old 09-23-2002, 12:41 PM
wat

Well, I was thinking blue, red, black, Silver, or orange. Im getting neon lights, so I kinda want them to match as much as possible.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd probably sink that kind of money into a 2k2. I love my 4th gen, and I would rather mod it than trade it in (I owe more than it's worth ), but those 2k2's are sweet.

To each, her own.

-Sryth...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
'98 SE 5spd, Pebble Beige, PRCAI, Stillen Y, Stillen FSTB, ACT clutch.
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!
Old 09-23-2002, 05:57 PM
wat

To be honest, I chose the 4th gen becuase I love the looks. I really dont like the 2000+ models, too weird of a look. I like the classic look of the 4th generation maximas, always have, always will.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:57 PM
wat

Actually lately Ive been thinking I might not get a SC, since its probably more power than I need. I might Get some good suspension or Brakes. Another Thing I want to concentrate more on is the Interior. Im thinking of putting in all leather seats When I get my car (www.leatherseats.com). W/o the SC I save abotu $4k, So I can do alot of other things with that money. Plus I will probably be adding in a Flywheel, Intake, Exaust, Lightwieght Pulley. <--- Those add maybe another 30 or 40HP all together, maybe even more near 50HP. Give you opinions of other things I might want...
Old 09-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

First, do not concern yourself with mods on a car you wont even be getting for another year. Trust me, things will change a lot between now and then. Plus, you mentioned spending $10k on the car and getting a $20k loan. It doesnt work like that on car loans. First off, if you are under 18, you will need a co-signer. Plus, even if they tell you you are approved for $20k, the actual loan amount is the exact price of the car. You have to give them the title and the sale papers, you can't really fake this stuff.

Basically, dont worry about what you should and shouldnt get until you can get it.

Plus I will probably be adding in a Flywheel, Intake, Exaust, Lightwieght Pulley. <--- Those add maybe another 30 or 40HP all together, maybe even more near 50HP. Give you opinions of other things I might want...
All those mods get you more like 15hp at the wheels...
Old 09-24-2002, 01:44 PM
wat

Yes yes, I already said I would have a co-signer, The loan isnt going to be a problem, I already know all about that. True, in a year the mods CAN change, but I need an Idea atleast on what to get. Mostly Ive decided I'll focus on the Interior, since thats where I'll be most of the time :P