4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

part of bolt broke off which holds wheel...what do i do???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 03:37 PM

part of bolt broke off which holds wheel...what do i do???

This all started after i took my aftermarket 18's off...
i put on the 5-spoke 2000 alloy wheels on, with aftermarket lugs...they didn't sit too good, so i replaced with my factory lugs from my 97 hub's. I put 2 wheel locks on each wheel. So i go driving around the whole day and i notice some rattling noise coming from my front passenger side wheel. Sounded like i had a flat...first it would happen when i would break, then i noticed it would happen when i just slowed down or did not press the gas. So i jacked up the car, started to unscrew the lugs...I unscrew 4 out of 5lugs...i got to my last one which is 1 of the 2 which is a wheel lock...as i twist it off, it seems to get harder and harder...so finally with enough force I pop off the lug, and i notice that part of the bolt the lug was on is sitting inside the lug nut. So i'm like Oh f***ck. So I manage to fit one of my aftermarket lugs from the 18's on it and tighten it down good, i go for a spin and everything is fine , no noise whatsover.

Now...my problem is with that broken bolt...im kinda of scared that its dangerous....

i spoke to one guy and he said i can just replace that bolt which is like $2 + 2hrs of mechanical work labor.

What do you guys think, what are my options, how long will I last on this broken bolt??? Opinions ?
Old 09-23-2002, 03:52 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

You can replace the stud pretty easily. A shop might charge $40 to do it.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:52 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: part of bolt broke off which holds wheel...what do i do???

looks like you need to get a new wheel lug.... ur talking about the part that looks like this right? ==== not =|]

the lug part, you can replace it pretty easily, just look it up through search....
Old 09-23-2002, 03:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can replace the bolt yourself. Car parts stores carry them and they cost a couple of $$. You'll have to take the wheel, caliper and rotor off. You just drive the broken bolt out with a hammer. When you put the new bolt in place just make sure the sterations on the new bolt line up with sterations in the hub and hammer it in. You can use an easy out (Sears sells them) to get the piece of bolt out of the locking lug nut. You'll probably save yourself a $100.00! The reason I would replace it is that I don't believe in cutting corners on brakes, tires and wheels.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:03 PM

Re: part of bolt broke off which holds wheel...what do i do???

Originally posted by itsgt
This all started after i took my aftermarket 18's off...
i put on the 5-spoke 2000 alloy wheels on, with aftermarket lugs...they didn't sit too good, so i replaced with my factory lugs from my 97 hub's. I put 2 wheel locks on each wheel. So i go driving around the whole day and i notice some rattling noise coming from my front passenger side wheel. Sounded like i had a flat...first it would happen when i would break, then i noticed it would happen when i just slowed down or did not press the gas. So i jacked up the car, started to unscrew the lugs...I unscrew 4 out of 5lugs...i got to my last one which is 1 of the 2 which is a wheel lock...as i twist it off, it seems to get harder and harder...so finally with enough force I pop off the lug, and i notice that part of the bolt the lug was on is sitting inside the lug nut. So i'm like Oh f***ck. So I manage to fit one of my aftermarket lugs from the 18's on it and tighten it down good, i go for a spin and everything is fine , no noise whatsover.

Now...my problem is with that broken bolt...im kinda of scared that its dangerous....

i spoke to one guy and he said i can just replace that bolt which is like $2 + 2hrs of mechanical work labor.

What do you guys think, what are my options, how long will I last on this broken bolt??? Opinions ?

haha, i did the same thing last weekend, i thought i would be the only one who did that....but i did a search and there are a couple people who did the same thing, just type in 'lug nuts'

anu
Old 09-23-2002, 04:32 PM

thanks gusy

is there any major difference between nissan studs and some other studs that u can get at autozone or mechanic will give you? I them to be strong, and i don't want this to happen again.

thanks.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:39 PM

Re: thanks gusy

is there any major difference between nissan studs and some other studs that u can get at autozone or mechanic will give you? I them to be strong, and i don't want this to happen again.

thanks.
I have used studs from car stores without any problems. However if it is a source of concern for you get them from Nissan, at least you'll sleep at night.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:32 AM

Re: Re: thanks gusy

Originally posted by karguy

I have used studs from car stores without any problems. However if it is a source of concern for you get them from Nissan, at least you'll sleep at night.
ok thanks...

do i have to worry about any danger if i drive with a chipped stud for a while?? how long do i have?

thanks.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: thanks gusy

ok thanks...

do i have to worry about any danger if i drive with a chipped stud for a while?? how long do i have?

thanks.
Can't say! But the stud is only a few $$ why take the risk!
Old 09-24-2002, 07:31 AM
Administrator

if its only 1 don't worry about it.. get it done when you feel like it.. its not drastic